Aching knees

qi-tah

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I was kinda hoping that there might be some kind of salve or ointment for topical use that works well. In the past I used DMSO and it was a god send. They have watered the formula down in recent years, but I just found a site that may fit the bill.

You put Di-methyl Sulfoxide on your knees?? Goodness, I used to work in a lab and we used that stuff to freeze cells in so they wouldn't burst on thawing. I never had any idea that the compound was was so versatile.

I too have suffered overuse injuries to my knees... the exercises that have helped me most are knee rotations and ba gua muddy-stepping in the circle. I'm a bit phobic about putting substances on my body that i can't safely put in my mouth (don't ask), so if that fails i generally just stick to RICE and asprin.
icon7.gif

Mtal

White Belt
Reaction score
Terry, I'm working on losing about 25lbs. and it should help and the glucosamine combo is also helping. I do have fallen arches as a latter post suggests and I guess I should spend the extra $ on good inserts rather than the cheap ones. I was kinda hoping that there might be some kind of salve or ointment for topical use that works well. In the past I used DMSO and it was a god send. They have watered the formula down in recent years, but I just found a site that may fit the bill. They only sell on orders of $40.00 or more but the gallon size is $39.00 I just may go for it if nothing else helps. Cutting down on classes has not helped. Its a cumulative effect of years of sports involving the knees. Goalie in hockey, cathcer in baseball, etc. It catches up to a person after a few years.

What is DMSO? Oh wait, is that the stuff they use in sports to when someone gets hurt and the trainer comes over and sprays the injury?

What is Bular?

Well I had a torn meniscus. Got it operated on, also have a thining meniscus in the other knee. First I did tai chi, I thought it helped a lot (well my knee was stiff from the operation, I think it helped me get my range of motion back, I had really BS PT). I use Move Free (it has glucosochondroitin and other stuff), weights, but not heavy and I concentrated on good form. Wall slides (you lean agaist a wall, and slide down, just like a squat motion). Oh and ICE, very important, when I feel my knees act up, that is what really helps.

Oh, I dont use too much sports cream. I have not found one that seems to prentrate. Those heat creams dont seem to really work on my knees. If I put it on a muscle, burns like crazy, but the knees not much. Anyone use anything?

Oh

Gotkenpo

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Other than glucosamine and chondroitin which I already take, does anyone have a good remedy for aching knees?
I just started drinking Tahitian Noni Juice and it is doing wonders for me. I have had 2 Knee surgeries and a complete ankle reconstruction and since I have started drinking the Noni they have lessened considerably. **Text removed - Advertising and inviting people to contact you so you may sell products to them is against MartialTalk rules.**

Edmund BlackAdder

<B>Rabid Wolverine</B>
Reaction score
I stand between the Dorkness and the Not Bright

kaizasosei

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
practice seiza and kneeling!!! step by step little by little.
that's the only way to really solve the problem.

Mtal

White Belt
Reaction score

Is that kneeling like in karate or Akido class? How does that help your knees?

Shuto

Purple Belt
Reaction score
We recently purchased an elliptical trainer and It has helped my knees. I think it has to do with the full motion my knees go through when exercising as well as the development of my quads. My knee issues are at least partially related to my patella.

Yeti

Black Belt
Reaction score
I came across this - VPX Glucosa Cream - on the internet. I found it at Vitacost, but I'm sure it's available other places too. I haven't tried it so I can't vouch for it, but it fits the bill for your ointment/salve that you were looking for.

Nebuchadnezzar

Blue Belt
Reaction score

That's only effective in stretching the muscles and tendons. It won't help with cartlidge in the joint itself and there are people who can no longer sit in seiza due to osteoarthritis.

MahaKaal

Orange Belt
Reaction score
A quick and easy way to eliviate minor knee pain is by getting some Mustard Oil (Saroh Da Thel), warming it up and then deeply massaging it into the knee, the front, sides and back. This will saturate and lubricate the knee and relieve the pain. I had a similar problem last week due to too many Behtaks, and by the next day my knee pain had gone.

Its important to keep the knee warm afta massaging it, so putting it in one of those excercise bandages helps.

Dagney Taggert

Green Belt
Reaction score
Where is the pain specifically? I would head to the doc to make sure you are not grinding away at precious cartilage.

Here are a couple of my own exercises:

If you have soreness on the outside of your knee, you might want to try an I-T band stretch. Stand with your right foot in front of the left, then reach over your head with your right arm, and bend to the left. (Repeat same with left foot). You should feel the stretch in your hip, which connects to the I-T band.

Before you work out, stand with your feet and legs together and bend your knees. Place your hands on your knees and move your knees in a circular motion; this movement will warm up the joint.

Dagney

Burnerbob

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Works for me
saver-left.gif
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Maintaining Joint Performance
[/FONT][/FONT]- By Stephen Holt, M.D.
Many millions of Americans who have bone and joint health problems are gobbling aspirin and NSAID in a manner that now presents a major public health concern. This concern is a direct consequence of the common side effects that these drugs may produce. Unfortunately, these side effects are sometimes fatal, especially in the elderly who are the main target population that takes drugs to manage their joint problems.
[/FONT]

Jphaas

White Belt
Reaction score
In addition to massaging the knees to increase circulation, I would recommend joint mobility exercises for the knees, hips, and ankles. Mobility work will bathe your joints in synovial fluid, and increase blood flow to the area. It is also beneficial to strengthen the muscles surrounding the knees.

Hope this helps.

Latest Discussions