• Less than 1 year

• 1-2 years

• 3-4 years

• 5+ years

Results are only viewable after voting.

BrandiJo

Master of Arts
Reaction score
im taking about 9weeks off cus of summer and work but thats not really by choice i wish i could keep training but im doing a camp thing and so its going to be a bit difficult

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have never really taken any time off since I first started training. I have however left several Dojo/Dojang in the past, but still trained on my own. The last one I stopped training at was for a differance in opinion with the head instructor. It was the best thing that could have happened for my wife and I in our pursuit of knowledge. That particular instructor was dead-set against the KMA and I was hardened against them. This has since changed for the better. My eyes have been opened to many other possibilities. It is a great thing.

donald

Black Belt
Reaction score
CeiCei,

Did you break for 8 yrs. in a row, or all together through the years? Did you stop consistent training completely? I have been down about 4 years now, and I am having a hard time getting moving again. I have worked out very little over this time. Any suggestions? I have M.O.M.(means,opportunity,motive)but as I stated earlier I have become a serious couch potato. I am a single blue collar Dad, so alot of available time I do not have. Any believers out there? I would welcome your prayers in this regard. Anyway all reasonable suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
By GOD's Grace,
Donald

Gin-Gin

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Tripitaka of AA said:
I had to stop training when my Wife became ill. Since then, we've moved house and had children. I cannot return to my chosen Art (or any other) for the forseeable future. I enjoy learning about all the "other stuff" that I never had time for when I was training. The any-time access that the Internet provides makes it possible for me to catch up on some of the history and the debate that rages in, on or about the various martial arts.
Clearly this is NO SUBSTITUTE for real training, and I would never suggest it was. It is all I can do at the moment, so I try to make the most of it. My best wishes to those of you who are lucky enough - and those of you who have made your luck - to train in your favourite arts.
Best Wishes to you too, David. :asian: I hope that someday you will be able to resume your training.

I voted for "less than a year" - was out for 4 months with an injury in 2001, then 2 weeks from burnout in 2004. I missed it so much though, that if I didn't find another Kenpo school that I liked (which, luckily for me I did :ultracool ) I would've tried another martial art of some kind [probably Tai Chi or BJJ].

OP
Ceicei

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
donald said:
CeiCei,

Did you break for 8 yrs. in a row, or all together through the years? Did you stop consistent training completely?
I started in 85 and trained, then took an 18 month break in 87. I returned back in 89 and trained until 91. I stopped again until after my first child was born. In 94, I had my 2nd child and after his birth, I trained one more year. Tired of stopping/starting over and over, I then just completely stopped for 8 years in a row to take care of my health and add 2 more children to the family. By 2003, my older two children discovered my box full of karate stuff (uniform, sparring gear, belts, trophies, medals, and notebooks). They wanted to take up karate, so I looked around to find a good school and signed them up. Watching them train stirred up my memories. Gosh, I didn't realize how much I loved training and how much I missed those workouts! I knew I HAD to get back into it, so I signed up and haven't looked back since. It has been over two years now of continuous training and I do not plan on stopping for an extended time.

I have been down about 4 years now, and I am having a hard time getting moving again. I have worked out very little over this time. Any suggestions? I have M.O.M.(means,opportunity,motive)but as I stated earlier I have become a serious couch potato. I am a single blue collar Dad, so alot of available time I do not have.

Anyway all reasonable suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
By GOD's Grace,
Donald
it is hard to get back into it, especially after a few years or so. I think that an extended absence did me good as I am now more focused and stable, financially and socially, and my life is more established. I plan to be in martial arts for the long haul.

The hard part with returning to martial arts was the "how I moved" mentality to "what it is" reality. I knew stuff, but my body wasn't cooperating. I knew how I was supposed to move, but being out of shape, I couldn't move the same way. It frustrated me so much. My instructor told me to give myself time to "get there". My body will catch up with my mind eventually once I get physically fit. He was right.

My attitude differed from 20 years ago. Back then, I looked at belts as the goal. Now I look at how I progress along the way and take more time with what I'm learning. I am not in a hurry to get through. I just want to know the stuff really well.

Now your question: How to get back into it? Find a motive. Is this motive worth going after compared to being a couch potato? Do you want it badly enough? You have to want it for yourself. Trying to juggle in time to train and still focus on the family is very challenging. I still have to deal with this juggle and things can go crazy.

You also know "hitting a plateau" once in a while (could last a few days or weeks) while training is okay and normal. Almost everyone faces that at one time or another.

Good luck,
- Ceicei

K

Kempogeek

donald said:
CeiCei,

Did you break for 8 yrs. in a row, or all together through the years? Did you stop consistent training completely? I have been down about 4 years now, and I am having a hard time getting moving again. I have worked out very little over this time. Any suggestions? I have M.O.M.(means,opportunity,motive)but as I stated earlier I have become a serious couch potato. I am a single blue collar Dad, so alot of available time I do not have. Any believers out there? I would welcome your prayers in this regard. Anyway all reasonable suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
By GOD's Grace,
Donald
From one couch potato to another, I can relate. I took time off from my training right around October because of my job. Until the arrival of Spring, I couldn't stay in practice because I workout in my garage. So I've been inactive for the first part of the year. Since my training was the only highlight of my day, Im busting at the seams to get back. If all goes well I can return in October after a year away. Im trying to stay in practice at home but it's not the same. Good luck sir and I certainly hope you can return. All in good time. On a side note, it's a shame that there aren't any EPAK schools here because what I've read on here and online, I wouldn't have mind cross training in Kosho Ryu and EPAK..........Steve

O

Oleg

When I first took TW my goal was to loose weight. In four month I lost almost 30lbs. I was taking classes 6 days a week, plus diet. Since I reached my goal back then, I decided to quite TW. Few years later I realized how much I am missing TW, every time when I was passing by my old school I was looking at it with nostalgia. So I came back to the school. I hope I am never going to quite TW again, and even if I will I am 100% sure that I am going to come back to it.

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've trained my whole life in one thing or another. Running 5 yrs-10 K's/half marathons, tennis off and on, Jack LaLanne's health club workout 3 yrs., high impact aerobics 10 yrs, pregnancy, running again, pregnancy, running again, moved to Minnesota-inside treadmill yuck! I joined TKD and was out twice for about a month each for knee problems. I actually quit last summer due to my instructor but came back after two months when he apologized. But I continued my own workouts during the time I was out. So have been in TKD for 9 yrs. now. Exercise to be strong, is life-giving in return. TW

C

chris...

when i do arvo shift i cant train, 1 week every 5 weeks, does that count?
also holidays
other then that i've only taken a month off when i broke my hand

SuperFLY

Green Belt
Reaction score
trained for years when i was very young. i could have potentially been a Karate black belt at 12 but being a child i had gotten bored of it and wasnt interested in how close i was and ended up eventually convincing my parents to let me quit.

im now in my late 20s and i've taken up it again. been training for about a year and am back training for black again :) (didnt have to start from scratch as most of the techniques are ingrained into me already)

looking back i wish id never quit but at the time i remember i just wasnt interested any more.

OKenpo942

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I was out of any kind of martial arts training for 11 years at one point. I went away for college in another state & got married. I later started practicing some BJJ and Muay Tai after starting a career in law enforcement. It wasn't until recently that I started back in my original style of Kenpo (EPAK). Still love it and hope to start my kids within the next couple years.

James

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dropped back from time to time, but never quit. I always felt that training, as a way of my life, was a great way to keep my mind focused and my body active.

KempoGuy06

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I have taken off several times...usually a month or so at a time. the longest was nearly a year.

I took off most recently because i broke hand. other reasons have be a new job, money and a knee injury. same style and same school

B

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
I once Missed One Class. Because my Town was Flooded, and the Bridge leading to it was kind of Underwater.

:)

Kunthuk

White Belt
Reaction score
I mostly trained during the time I lived in Germany (3 years), specializing mostly in Muay Thai, but as well training in other Martial Arts simultaneously. Back to my country, Portugal, and to keep the pace I was used to, and because I lived in the mountains far away from dojos, I created a small group to which I was teaching Muay Thai, outside in the woods, near a river, sand bag hanging from a brunch.. I mean, great times ! We trained bare feet on the dirt, fall on it in the clinch -work, got blackish and after a 2-2,5 hours sessions we would bath in that clean river. I trained my group 3 times a week, and kept on working out with weights the other days. Unfortunately, the economic situation in my country isn't very famous, and struggling me and my family to make a living,after about a year and a half we left for Switzerland where I now work and for my own good give self-defense classes at a Sports Assoc. But I don't train now that what I like so much.. I live in the Alps, up in the mountain and don't have a lot of time to take the bus down to bigger town to take Muay Thai classes. I know this will last about 7 months. After that we plan to travel to Thailand, where I want to train for about 3 months.

For the future, I may try to organize a MT school in the Alpine village where I live in.

It sucks to cut off with the training when that's not your wish, like as when you move residence and change life altogether.. I like to keep on watching videos, also instructional/tutorials to don't feel totally apart from it. In any case that makes me learn new stuff and keep lights on.

sfs982000

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I had about a 17 year break from training, but have been actively training for about 6 years now, but I'm starting to feel burnt out. Debating on taking a break again.