• 1-2 years

• 3-4 years

• 5+ years

Results are only viewable after voting.

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I have noticed that many of you have taken breaks/absence for various reasons from your training and returning to martial arts (whether in the same style or a different one). My longest break was nearly 8 years for health reasons and to raise children. I have always remained within the same style and have trained at five studios.

- Ceicei

47MartialMan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
People take absence for several reasons;

Injury is perhaps the number one.

Lost of instructor, moved residency are tied in second.

Burnout, maybe third.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I took a break in training to have and raise children, for a couple of injuries, because of tensions with (now ex-)husband/instructor and because of my own relocation.

Longest break: five years

47MartialMan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
shesulsa said:
I took a break in training to have and raise children, for a couple of injuries, because of tensions with (now ex-)husband/instructor and because of my own relocation.

Longest break: five years
Those are many GOOD reasons.....

K

Kempogeek

Im currently on a break from my training. Mainly due working 3rd shift and wanting to finish up some financial responsibilities. The way things look now it could be by late September or early October when I can return. I do plan on going back to the same style of Kosho Ryu Kempo. I've had a blast and can't wait to go back. I talked with my sensei before I left and he told me that I could maintain my current rank when I return. But would have to be in a beginners class. To be honest, I wouldn't have mind starting over again as a white belt. I'll have alot of catching to do. All the best, Steve

47MartialMan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Kempogeek said:
Im currently on a break from my training. Mainly due working 3rd shift and wanting to finish up some financial responsibilities. The way things look now it could be by late September or early October when I can return. I do plan on going back to the same style of Kosho Ryu Kempo. I've had a blast and can't wait to go back. I talked with my sensei before I left and he told me that I could maintain my current rank when I return. But would have to be in a beginners class. To be honest, I wouldn't have mind starting over again as a white belt. I'll have alot of catching to do. All the best, Steve
But how can you re-start in a beginners class? Surely you had to learn or acquire some abilities? Unless you hadnt trained that long with him previously?

OP
Ceicei

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
It is possible to "re-start". I had to start over three times even though I had some experience carried over from previous studios. I think the emphasis on basics is an excellent way to review, since the basics are what makes the foundation of martial arts. Starting over also taught me humility.

- Ceicei

Ping898

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I took a break to go to college and have continued the break cause of not finding a school that's a good fit yet.
The schools I have tried usually have had me in the advanced classes even if it was a new style, mostly cause basics tend to be standard with a few variations across most styles. Though admittedly the styles I was trying were still forms of karate, not anything completely different like say judo.
I have found though when switching schools and styles, being in the advanced class only works well in smaller schools where you have say a max of 8 to 12 students in a class cause then you are likely to get a decent amount of 1 on 1 teaching time and I have found they break people off into groups a bit less cause people are more often at different points in their training than if you have a class of 30.

47MartialMan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Ceicei said:
It is possible to "re-start". I had to start over three times even though I had some experience carried over from previous studios. I think the emphasis on basics is an excellent way to review, since the basics are what makes the foundation of martial arts. Starting over also taught me humility.

- Ceicei
How true. But it didnt take away previous abilities.

OP
Ceicei

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
47MartialMan said:
How true. But it didnt take away previous abilities.
Not at all. It just reinforces what was learned by going through the material again--makes the motions more solid and enhances "muscle memory".

- Ceicei

47MartialMan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Ceicei said:
Not at all. It just reinforces what was learned by going through the material again--makes the motions more solid and enhances "muscle memory".

- Ceicei
Hmmmmn....

Kempogeek had said;
I talked with my sensei before I left and he told me that I could maintain my current rank when I return. But would have to be in a beginners class. To be honest, I wouldn't have mind starting over again as a white belt. I'll have alot of catching to do.

It will seem, although "starting over" will be a sense of rekindling humility and basics, perhaps doing so in a beginners class may cause confusion. Per the beginners may see/observe, his abilities, per confusing it with his previous training and their present training. Unless, he moves along at a better pace to get back to where he once was.

47MartialMan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
arnisador said:
I dunno...I generally kept training on my own when I was between instructors.
So for each new instructor had sensed your abilites and paced instruction accordingly?

Sam

Senior Master
Reaction score
bah, I'm stupid. I just voted, "a couple of weeks", but that was for vacation, a forced break. So I dont think that it counts. I didn't WANT to stop.

oh well.

47MartialMan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
arnisador said:
Sorry, I don't follow this.
You said;I generally kept training on my own when I was between instructors.

I wondered;
So for each new instructor had sensed your abilites and paced instruction accordingly?

I took it that you did not stop training as you went from one instructor to another. Doing so, your new instructor had sensed your abilities and not had you start from a "total" beginner standpoint based upon your previous abilities. Sensing (or aware) that you had abilities and paced his instruction in accordance with said previous abilities.

Tripitaka of AA

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I had to stop training when my Wife became ill. Since then, we've moved house and had children. I cannot return to my chosen Art (or any other) for the forseeable future.

I enjoy learning about all the "other stuff" that I never had time for when I was training. The any-time access that the Internet provides makes it possible for me to catch up on some of the history and the debate that rages in, on or about the various martial arts.

Clearly this is NO SUBSTITUTE for real training, and I would never suggest it was. It is all I can do at the moment, so I try to make the most of it.

My best wishes to those of you who are lucky enough - and those of you who have made your luck - to train in your favourite arts.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I stop training in a Dojaang for political reason started training in my own Dojaang for my boy's would get the proper training not a McDojo that seems to be plenty around where I live. When the politics started in the eighties i myself wanted no part of it my school better than your our association is the best come to us and I make you a higher rank I know so many people that went from 1st to 6th over night giving each other rank that I was feed up with the whole brunch of people and some are around today with there own style and have a great following of people and made themself and school into a money making machine. I only have myself to look upon and the thought of my instructors rolling over in there graves with the thought of me selling out for maney.

Terry Lee stoker
Twin Dragons MAS

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Samantha said:
bah, I'm stupid. I just voted, "a couple of weeks", but that was for vacation, a forced break. So I dont think that it counts. I didn't WANT to stop.

oh well.
Why wouldn't that count? It was on there and there isn't any right or wrong answer. Don't be so hard on yourself, kiddo.

I've been very fortunate to be able to absob life's "curve balls" and not have to stop except of the occasional injury for a few weeks. I know I'm very fortunate and one day my luck will run out. But not today...:)

The Kai

Master of Arts
Reaction score
When I had my acl done it took a couple of weeks! I remember doing a seminar with my leg still in the clunky brace