About Your children in martial arts

Discussion in 'Women of the Martial Arts (Women Martial Artists)' started by Arsen, Oct 3, 2017.

1. Tez3

Tez3 Sr. Grandmaster

• Supporting Member

I think you are missing the point though, when you are fighting you tend not to feel a lot, that includes if you go out and attack someone. The more so if you consider that a lot of mugging type incidents etc are actually drug/alcohol fuelled and you could cut the guys balls off and he wouldn't notice.

https://www.fightersonlymag.com/features/pain-barrier-fighters-famously-fought/

Pain and Stress: Endorphins: Natural Pain and Stress Fighters

2. pdg

pdg Black Belt

I've been hit in the groin before too, and I'll say it's variable and inconsistent.

I've had slight knocks that've had me almost doubled over crying, and much harder hits that were just 'meh, whatever'.

I'd say going for the groin is worth a go, but it's unreliable.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Headhunter

Headhunter Senior Master

Yes it does but does it render you unable to do anything? Does it completely stop you because yeah I've been hit there and yeah it sucks but I've never had to stop and take a break because of it you just keep going and the pain goes away. Tbh I find body shots worse because then you've got to worry about broken ribs

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. CB Jones

CB Jones Senior Master

In my experience it is very inconsistent.

I've been hit there and it only be uncomfortable and I've been hit and it completely stop with the shot (that and the little bit of vomit in the back of my throat)

But to me the groin shot and eye gouges are better setup shots....not show stoppers. Use them to create the openings for harder punches and/or takedowns.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Tez3

Tez3 Sr. Grandmaster

• Supporting Member
    Liver shots..infallible :D You don't even need to hit that hard to see your opponent go red, then white and then grey as they double up, throwing their guts up. It takes a while for them to get their equilibrium back.

6. sinthetik_mistik

sinthetik_mistik Purple Belt

even if a guy is sky high i think he would notice that. i used to drink and do drugs sometimes it kills some of the pain but it doesn't kill it altogether

7. sinthetik_mistik

maybe not "unable" but if i just took a hard strike to the groin I'd have a hard time continuing like nothing happened

8. Tez3

Tez3 Sr. Grandmaster

• Supporting Member

It doesn't need to kill the pain, just numb enough to be able to work through it. This happens to fighters when fighting.
    Not all people who are on drugs or alcohol are 'sky high'. Do you know about Fenethylline?

9. Headhunter

Headhunter Senior Master

In a normal situation sure but in a fight so there's so much adrenaline and fear going through you plus any drugs or drink that the attackers been taking to not do much damage with it. At the end of the day it is a shot that can work but there's also a good chance of it not working same as any other target. If I punch you in the ribs you could go down or you could take it and keep fighting there's no guarantees in fighting

10. sinthetik_mistik

never heard of Fenethylline. and yes i understand that the adrenaline rush makes fighters numb to pain. i never said 'all people' on drugs or alcohol are sky high. they could be drunk, high to a lesser extent, or tripping on acid, to name a few. i've seen fighters pound the crap each other and just keep going, due to the adrenaline rush you mentioned. but i still think you have to be tough as nails to take a hard strike to the groin and keep going.

11. sinthetik_mistik

i see what you're saying and i agree that there's no guarantee in fighting but the thing is the groin is extremely sensitive to pain. but we can go back and forth all day... i just can't imagine a situation where someone takes a hard strike to the groin and not even notice it. maybe if he's on PCP

12. Tez3

Tez3 Sr. Grandmaster

• Supporting Member
    Captagon: the amphetamine fuelling Syria's civil war

Attackers will do their utmost to guard against being hit in the groin, it's a low percentage strike to be honest, why go for a difficult technique when you can go for much easier ones.

The reason people argue the groin strike is so deadly is that it sounds deadly, hard core and scary, useful therefore for advertising your deadly martial arts. :rolleyes:

13. pdg

pdg Black Belt

@sinthetik_mistik

How about a direct, undefended strike to the groin with a metal bar?

So, I always ride a bicycle with spd pedals. Last year I got a new used bike with flats. There was me, fooling around on it, did a little jump - not all that high, maybe 3 feet, going maybe 15mph.

Only, my feet weren't attached to the pedals like I'm used to - can you see where this is going?

Yeah, so no probs. Slithered to a halt, got back on, carried on.

Another time, I slumped onto the sofa and, well, sat on myself. Could barely breathe.

14. sinthetik_mistik

ok i'm gonna disengage now i'm tired of arguing back and forth about groin striking. i respect you all and your opinions, even though they may differ from mine. peace out and much love

• Like Like x 1
  15. Headhunter

Headhunter Senior Master

Never said they wouldn't notice it simply said it won't stop them

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. gpseymour

gpseymour Sr. Grandmaster

Top Poster Of Month

• Supporting Member
    That last part is key, IMO. When I talk about groin shots (similar for eye gouges), I generally talk about three outcomes: you get the shot and it works, they defend the shot (which includes contact that doesn't do the job) and create another opening, or the shot has no effect (no defensive move, and no reaction to the hit). Each presents a different follow - too often I don't see any but the first when some instructors teach it. It's taught as a magical finishing move.

• Agree Agree x 2