Abortion compromise...what do you think?

heretic888

Senior Master
Reaction score
White man" isn't really a slur...it doesn't drip the hatred of those slurs we see directed towards other groups.

Yes... but "white people" -- much like "asian person" or "black person" --- is such a meaningless and arbitrary term. It refers to such a broad range of cultures and ethnic groups, easily numbering into thousands (not to mention the millions that make up their populations), that its rather pointless to use it as a qualifier.

Not to mention, the entire notion of racially-based social behavior --- or "race" in general ---- is pretty silly.

kenpo tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ronald R. Harbers said:
Do you know what Partial Birth abortion is? As the baby's head comes out of the womb, the Doctor takes a pair of sissors and cuts into the back of it's head, inserts a suction device, and removes the brain. It has nothing to do with the health of the mother. Personally, I believe in free choice. Abortion may be the only way to stem over population of the earth.
How do you know this? I would doubt you've had an abortion, much less witnessed one. A fallacy if I ever heard one. Sounds like someone's been feeding you bad information.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
hardheadjarhead said:
Administrative action noted. I was thinking that others here would have responded sooner in the thread. Perhaps they didn't notice it. "White man" isn't really a slur...it doesn't drip the hatred of those slurs we see directed towards other groups.

Regards,

Steve
There were other considerations as well.

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
From this article:
Florida voters also approved a measure limiting the privacy rights of teenage girls seeking abortions, meaning the legislature can now pass a law requiring parents to be notified. Legislators had been stymied in efforts to pass such a law by court rulings that say they violated the privacy provision of the state constitution.
How do we feel about this, then?

OP
Xequat

Xequat

Black Belt
Reaction score
kenpo tiger said:
How do you know this? I would doubt you've had an abortion, much less witnessed one. A fallacy if I ever heard one. Sounds like someone's been feeding you bad information.
I'm curious...what is it then? Seriously, just curious, not trying to get challenging, but that's about what I thought it was, too.

Secondly, I feel like it's necessary to advise parents of their teenage daughters' abortions; however, I don't necessarily think that they need to advise them of the pregnancy until medical action of some sort is taken. It should be up to parents to find out what their children are up to and up to the kids to talk to their parents; I feel that doctors telling parents what their kids are doing is kind of invasive. But if a doctor has to take action and perform a surgery, I do agree that parents should be notified.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
As a woman and as a mother, I am very, very torn on this.

I work hard to keep communication lines open with my daughter and respect her privacy. I can only hope and pray that she will feel that she can talk to me about such an important decision.

But, as I said, I truly can only hope and pray. I don't want her to think she can't talk to me and confide in me should she begin sexual activity, contract an STD, find out she is gay, find out she is pregnant. But usually, most teens, no matter how open their parents are, don't tell. I sure wouldn't have told my mother.

I don't want her to delay getting an abortion if she thinks it is right for her because she and/or the med pro would have to tell me.

On the other hand, I sure don't want any medical procedure performed on my daughter without my knowledge and consent.

Flatlander, you do bring the ponderous questions, doncha?

I really don't know which side of the fence I can claim on this.

RandomPhantom700

Master of Arts
Reaction score
How do we feel about this, then?

I feel really bad because I voted for that amendment when I meant to vote against it. The language confused me, and I was worried about asking for clarification. I will remember that next time.

heretic888

Senior Master
Reaction score
I live in Florida, and voted against it. Then again, I'm not a parent.

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
RandomPhantom700 said:
I feel really bad because I voted for that amendment when I meant to vote against it. The language confused me, and I was worried about asking for clarification. I will remember that next time.
The language confused you? And you're literate to a much higher degree than many of the voters, I'm sure. It must have been worded in a most ambiguous fashion. Certainly, this makes me curious as to the *actual* refelction of the will of the people on some of these "democratically decided" ideas.

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Xequat said:
I'm curious...what is it then? Seriously, just curious, not trying to get challenging, but that's about what I thought it was, too.
If you are asking about the specifics of the procedure, please refer to the following link. It provides a basic overview of the procedure and when it might be an appropriate for a doctor and his patient.

http://encyclopedia.thefreedictionary.com/Intact%20dilation%20and%20extraction

I hope you never need to have an abortion. But, if you do, and your doctor decides this is the best way to proceed, doesn't it make sense to let the doctor and patient decide what is best?

RandomPhantom700

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Flatlander said:
The language confused you? And you're literate to a much higher degree than many of the voters, I'm sure. It must have been worded in a most ambiguous fashion. Certainly, this makes me curious as to the *actual* refelction of the will of the people on some of these "democratically decided" ideas.
It was actually my mistake entirely. I'm gonna try and pull up the exact phrasing, but basically one sentence stated the current setup of the law, and the other stated the law under the change. However, they were right next to each-other, so my dumbass confused which "Yes" referred to.

Like I said, I'll try and find the wording so I can point it out.

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hope this helps.

PARENTAL NOTIFICATION OF A MINOR’S TERMINATION OF PREGNANCY
Reference:
Article X, Section 22
Proposing an amendment to the State Constitution to authorize the Legislature to require by general law for notification to a parent or guardian of a minor before the termination of the minor’s pregnancy. The amendment provides that the Legislature shall not limit or deny the privacy rights guaranteed to minors under the United States Constitution as interpreted by the United States Supreme Court. The Legislature shall provide exceptions to such requirement for notification and shall create a process for judicial waiver of the requirement for notification.​

RandomPhantom700

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Here we go. Found at http://election.dos.state.fl.us/initiatives/fulltext/10-59.htm

"The legislature shall not limit or deny the privacy right guaranteed to a minor under the United States Constitution as interpreted by the United States Supreme Court."

That's what I thought "Yes" meant.

"Notwithstanding a minor's right of privacy provided in Section 23 of Article I, the Legislature is authorized to require by general law for notification to a parent or guardian of a minor before the termination of the minor's pregnancy."

I thought this was summarizing the current law, and that the first sentence described the change. As it turned out, AFTER I'd submitted my ballot, I had it backwards. THIS is what "Yes" apparently confirmed.

I'm seriously doubting my own voting capacity.

OP
Xequat

Xequat

Black Belt
Reaction score
Ah, OK...thanks a lot, Mike. Sometimes, people get paranoid and call some things propaganda when they're not; other times the propaganda is so blatant that even I, an almost total disbeliever in conspiracy theory, can't deny it. Looks like they got me this time. Oh well, at least I wasn't sure.

RandomPhantom700, don't worry about it. In Kentucky, we had a referendum on gay marriage yesterday and my own Mom got confused on the wording on it and voted the wrong way on it. Fortunately, I could not possibly care any less about the issue and I voted the way she wanted it to go (because hey, if someone I care about actually cares about that issue, I'll go with that, since I don't care in the least either way) so it cancelled her oops-vote out. She has a college degree and works for the school board. And I don't know if you've ever noticed from other threads how anal retentive I am about grammar and spelling and whatnot, but I get it from her. Maybe they should give the Cliff's Notes versions of referenda for those of us who are overly analytical to the point that we actually read things incorrectly.