Abinico or Abiniko

Guro Harold

Senior Master
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Here are some other observations:

- It appeared to me that alot of the newer tapes from the Professor emphasized more abanico corto examples. The seminars that I attended in '99 and 2000 emphasized alot more abanico corto than abanico double-action.

- For those who have seen the older tapes, the Professor showed the empty-handed applications of abanico double-action as well.

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Palusut said:
Here are some other observations:

- It appeared to me that alot of the newer tapes from the Professor emphasized more abanico corto examples. The seminars that I attended in '99 and 2000 emphasized alot more abanico corto than abanico double-action.

- For those who have seen the older tapes, the Professor showed the empty-handed applications of abanico double-action as well.

That would be due to the emphasis on tapi-tapi over everything else in 99-00, so most of the abinikos were done to aid the inserts & trapping done in tapi-tapi. Hence the corto examples that your seeing on tape. :asian:

OP
Rich Parsons

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
bart said:
Is that a variation on the spelling of abaniko (abanico) or is it a completely different type of hit?

Bart,

This is just a variation in spelling depending upon location and language. I have seen both therefore I wrote it both ways so as to not offend anyone or their background, and or think I was excluding anyone.

:asian:

Mark Lynn

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Just food for thought.

When practicing with the double baston I use the horizontal abaniko hit or entry when teaching blocking with the left stick on the inside of a right high forehand strike (or vice a versa). In order to get the hit in and move to the outside of the feeder's arm, than wrap for the snake disarm or trap.

This helps in teaching the wrapping motion for the left hand and stresses the idea of hitting the person before you get the disarm.

FWIW I was shown the double action abaniko by another Modern Arnis player several years ago (1999) and I still can't figure it out, much less try and describe it or teach it. :idunno: Hey I think I have been spelling Abiniko wrong for years now.

Mark