A WW2 Japanese Gunto Restored for Iaido Class

OP
shima

shima

K3NPO
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are the SMR kata you practice all from a standing position?

Yes, all standing

Are the Omori Ryu kata all from kneeling save Koranto?

Yup.

Are the Seita Gata kata 10 or 12?

Fairly certain it's 12, I'll double check next time I'm in class.

The fourth set we have in MSR is kata from Keshi Ryu as well as the Chuden and Okuden levels in Omori Ryu.

Crap, I was just in class tonight and forgot to look on the wall and take note of what the fourth set of kata's we do are... I'll check on Thursday assuming I don't forget again lol :) We have a training manual for the kenpo curriculum, but unfortunately the names of the iaido katas aren't in that or I could just look it up in our manual.

Aikicomp

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Crap, I was just in class tonight and forgot to look on the wall and take note of what the fourth set of kata's we do are... I'll check on Thursday assuming I don't forget again lol :) We have a training manual for the kenpo curriculum, but unfortunately the names of the iaido katas aren't in that or I could just look it up in our manual.

That's OK, don't worry about it.

If I may ask, what rank are you in Iai. I made Shodan about 8 yrs ago after 3 yrs of training and didn't have the oppurtunity to test for Nidan or continue formal training due to work schedule.

The reason I ask is that to be using a live blade is usually not allowed until Nidan or higher due to the natural and obvious risks involved.

I recently purchased my first Shinken about 2 yrs ago and have been practicing MSR katas with it, as well as, my Iaito. I find I was extremely more aware of noto and nukitske when using the Shinken until I got used to the Shinken.

Be very mindful of what you're doing with the Shinken, things can go bad really fast. I gave myself a few little nicks and cuts due to not fully paying attention to what I was doing during Noto and didn't realize it until I saw blood on the tatami, looked down and thankfully had all my fingers and no major lacerations. LOL.

Good luck in your training.

Mike

OP
shima

shima

K3NPO
Reaction score
That's OK, don't worry about it.

If I may ask, what rank are you in Iai. I made Shodan about 8 yrs ago after 3 yrs of training and didn't have the oppurtunity to test for Nidan or continue formal training due to work schedule.

Neither school I've studied Iaido at let you actually rank in Iaido. Hence, no rank.

I only started practicing with a live blade last month when the WW2 blade in this post came back from restoration. But I'd been using my dull blade since 2000, so I don't find myself worrying about cutting myself since I was already rather acutely aware of where the sharp side was at all times even though my other sword was and always has been dull. The only I cut myself on the live blade was when I first got it from it's old owner, I didn't realize how bad the shape of the saya was until it slid right off the blade and I went to (stupidly) catch the blade as it started falling out. Thankfully that was bloodless but it got a good nick clean cut on my finger to remind me never to do that again.

Aikicomp

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Neither school I've studied Iaido at let you actually rank in Iaido. Hence, no rank.

I only started practicing with a live blade last month when the WW2 blade in this post came back from restoration. But I'd been using my dull blade since 2000, so I don't find myself worrying about cutting myself since I was already rather acutely aware of where the sharp side was at all times even though my other sword was and always has been dull. The only I cut myself on the live blade was when I first got it from it's old owner, I didn't realize how bad the shape of the saya was until it slid right off the blade and I went to (stupidly) catch the blade as it started falling out. Thankfully that was bloodless but it got a good nick clean cut on my finger to remind me never to do that again.

Yup, I thought the same thing, then after 5-6 times practicing with it, that's when I got my wake up call. That was the first and last time I got complacent lost concentration with the blade.

It's like when an electrician gets too comfortable...that's when he gets hit.

No offense meant, (I'm sure you know the difference between the Mune, Ha and Kissaki). I was just trying to impart that when you switch from an Iai-to to a Shinken one must be ever vigilant and aware of their technique while doing Noto and Nukitsuke because a live blade is much less forgiving than an Iai-to.

As you know, a few kata in SMR and Kesa-giri in Seitei iai, nukitsuke is done from an inverted saya postion and it is there, during sayabiki, that you are at a greater risk for injury if you do not keep the mune against the saya and complete sayabiki correctly.

Just passing on some things I was made aware of when I switched to a Shinken.

Mike

OP
shima

shima

K3NPO
Reaction score
Thanks, I appreciate the concern. All of my iaido instructors have always stressed the importance of not touching anything but the back of the blade and only that when putting it away, so I think that has helped in me not having problems since my muscle memory is so ingrained to keep the sharp end away :)

Uchinanchu

Green Belt
Reaction score
Congratulations on your new sword! I, myself, have a Shinshinto period katana which was originally a tachi. It is currently being polished and having its saya repaired (for a bargain-basement price of only 85,000 yen- that's roughly a 1,ooo dollars...)
Just wanted to give you some advice about traveling. If you ever come to Japan to train, do NOT bring your Gunto. If it is a mass produced factory made blade from WWII, it will be confiscated by the authorities and promptly destroyed! They frown upon anyone owning such blades. Only Iaito and properly licenced shinkens are allowed to be used/owned here.

Namii

Green Belt
Reaction score
and for the iaito, are only the aluminum alloy ones allowed?

OP
shima

shima

K3NPO
Reaction score
I've been to Japan a couple times, but always too busy to try and find a place to study at during my brief week and a half trips... no plans from me to bring my blade overseas (though it looks nothing like the original WW2 blade anymore after the restoration with the exception of the original tsuba...)

Very interesting that the government would confiscate it though!

pgsmith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
and for the iaito, are only the aluminum alloy ones allowed?
Yes. That is the way the Japanese sword laws work. Properly registered traditionally made nihonto are allowed, or aluminum blade iaito. Althought there have been rare exceptions caused by someone with very high connections, it is generally illegal to bring any sword except properly registered nihinto into or out of the country. You'll get the 'magnet test' at customs to determine if your sword is an aluminum iaito. If steel, it is confiscated. Sometimes it's returned when you leave the country, but gunto are pretty much all destroyed.

Uchinanchu

Green Belt
Reaction score
Something else to keep in mind. If you ever buy a properly registered sword while in Japan, you cannot just simply leave the country with it. There are proper procedures/paper work that need to be followed, if you want to take it with you. For starters, you cannot keep the registration licence that comes with it. That has to be turned in and you are issued a special permit/paper for exporting the sword out of Japan. Again, they are sticklers for what comes in, as well as out of Japan.
As for what Paul said about the magnet test, that is very true...but sometimes the security at the airports are not familiar with that particular technique and will attempt to run their thumb across the hassaki to see if it is sharp or not! (I kid you not!) My sensei had to stop one guy from doing it with his shinken!!

OKenpo942

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Congrats on the new blade! I personally would love to have an old blade like that, mass produced or not. It is still your own unique blade refurbished with your own personal touches. I think you did well. The sword is beautiful and is obviously special to you.

Oh, yeah. You can't beat the price you gave (or didn't give) for the blade either. God bless.

James

OP
shima

shima

K3NPO
Reaction score
Quickie little update on the blade. I still use it weekly in class to practice (unless I'm practicing for tournament, at which time I use my tournament blade since they are slightly different lengths). Love its heavy weight and solid feel. So happy with the tsunami wrap I got on the handle, it has such a great feel and grip to it. So much nicer on my hands than the classic silk wrap.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Good to hear that, Shima and nice to have seen you about the place again too over the past days :bows:

Latest Discussions