A weekend in the Woods...

Ginsu

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I have just returned from the Northern woods of Occidental California where Mr. John Sepulveda's Spirit camp was held April 11th - 13th.

This post will not do justice to the talent and wonderful experience that was present, however I will try and represent the spirit of the camp the best that I can.

First I want to start by saying that Mr. Sepulveda is truly a wonderful person beyond his vast knowledge and experience in Kenpo and its history.

The camp had several great instructors and talented Kenpo practitioners. I will probably not remember them all but here is a short list.

Professor Sepulveda
Sigung LaBounty
Mr. Tommy Burks
Mr. Michael Billings
Mr. Tom Graves
Mr. Pat Salantri
Mr. Scott Johnson
Mr. Steve Hirst

I am sure that there are others that I did not include and that is only due to lack of memory. The camp was an incredible learning experience and the vast knowledge there was staggering.

The atmosphere and attitude was one of everyone extremely hungry to work hard and learn as much as possible, which made the entire experience even more impressive. There was no awkward hellos of meeting people for the first time like you may expect when 60 - 70 people get together for the first time, but only the welcome home of a family feeling. Something I know we all in the Kenpo community all want to feel if we never have or to always find it again if we have.

The classes taught everything from sticks and knives to the breaking out and down several techniques. The material while new to some and old to others was always given with the true intent of lets look at things this way. I never remember hearing the words wrong from anyone even when some one felt that they had not done something correctly it was truly a positive time.

I know that I touched a lot on the experience here and some of the people and less on the material but that was done on purpose. To express that even though some times people see only the negative or strife in our community or in the world, that the positive still does exsist and should passed on as much as we all can.

Even as the rain fell all weekend and the wind whipped thru the Great Red Woods, you could tell that it was as if the rain was only cleansing everyone and everything it touched and that a spirit was present showing all involved the joy of what Kenpo is.

Ginsu

P.S. Please take what you want from this post, and read into it what you will. The sole intent is to express the wonderful experience that was had and the spirit of what I felt was shared. Oss.....

I

Iron Dog

Wow! Sounds like quite a camp. Moreover, you sound content and reflective, so that must have been one great camp. Thanks for sharing, hopefully many others will give camps with that atmosphere...
I.D.

G

gman

I also attended the camp this weekend and it was amazing. It was the first camp for me and will not be the last. The begging group was quite small so the instruction was the same as private lesson. What other opportunity will I have again to have nearly a private lesson from Sigung Labounty, Mr Hirst, Mr Burks and Mr Salantri? It was truly incredible and all were great. All the senior black belts were approchable on a one on one basis. They didn't make you feel like a yellow belt they made you feel like family. Thank you for the memories.

G

gman

I can't believe it. I forgot to add special thanks to Mr Sepulveda for holding the camp. Thanks to all the others who were behind the scenes that made the camp possible.

Greggers69

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Yes I was meaning to go but i couldn't afford it this year. If they have it again next year i will definately go after I heard all the great respones from everyone. :asian: