A very unique view of Okinawan Karate in 1914

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Victor,

Do you have any idea where this book could be purchased? I looked on Amazon and it is not listed, unless I'm going about it the wrong way. Checked a few other online sources and it looked to be sold out.

OP
V

Victor Smith

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Bill, Patrick McCarthy privately published it and you would order it through him. He can be googled and his group I believe is the IRRKS.

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score
Interesting. I have heard several Okinawan high ranking persons saying that the no first strike is a misconscription of what was intended. that it was intended to keep younger students from going out and picking fights. the confrontation that you know in your gut is going sour and going to be violent is the first strike in that situation.

But I would like to read the book. I will have to look into getting it.

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Interesting. I have heard several Okinawan high ranking persons saying that the no first strike is a misconscription of what was intended. that it was intended to keep younger students from going out and picking fights. the confrontation that you know in your gut is going sour and going to be violent is the first strike in that situation.

But I would like to read the book. I will have to look into getting it.

I always thought that the phrase was more philosophical; That is, karate is self-defense. As self-defense, there is indeed no 'first strike' because if you have to defend yourself, you've already been 'struck' in that sense. You may land the first blow, but the assault has already begun, even if there was no punch thrown. I think a lot of people just can't quite grasp this concept, but it's quite well understood in law enforcement. You can engage legally in 'self-defense' without a blow having been thrown first.

OP
V

Victor Smith

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Hi Bill,

Forget philosophy think Isshinryu 101, the first movement I was taught, Right foot forward Right Punch.

There is no first hit in karate, as explained in the work of Mutsu Mizho, is they strike first, but you move so you don't get hit and in turn hit them first. So Shimabuku's first upper body technique isn't a punch but a counter-offensive strike in response to a first hit. What is important is the way you shift to avoid the strike and then respond.

Of course to refer to myself http://isshin-concentration.blogspot.com/2011/07/there-is-no-first-strike-in-karate.html

You need to work on the training, shifting, etc. to make the initial punch either miss or you shift so you're going in and hitting them before it get's there.

hope this helps

Latest Discussions