A special circumstance

OP
P

pankaixilaren

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Ignore him he likes to think he's cleverer than he is and doing so makes himself look dumb

Exactly right. He likes to pile on newbies to make them feel bad.......

If I'm talking to Americans about how much things cost here I try if possible to convert pounds into dollars or provide both. Same with Europeans, convert it into Euros for them.
That's the meaning of "good manners" and "nice behavior"... :)

Thanks for your support, guys! Both of you! :)

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's the meaning of "good manners" and "nice behavior"... :)

Thanks for your support, guys! Both of you! :)

No worries. If you are in Greece you need all the support you can get! :) Still economic problems aside it's a place that would be lovely to be in. I hope you find somewhere you'll like training soon. It's worth looking around until you find something you feel fits you and you fit in. It's daunting walking in through the door of a new place but really that is the hardest thing the rest is relatively easy after that.

OP
P

pankaixilaren

Orange Belt
Reaction score
No worries. If you are in Greece you need all the support you can get! :) Still economic problems aside it's a place that would be lovely to be in. I hope you find somewhere you'll like training soon. It's worth looking around until you find something you feel fits you and you fit in. It's daunting walking in through the door of a new place but really that is the hardest thing the rest is relatively easy after that.

Thank you so much, for your kind words! :)

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
You've gotten some good advice and some of questionable value. To restate what I consider to be good advice:

Go wherever you please, but go somewhere. Do not expect to be Mr. Universe in a month, nor a year. Just keep at it. Most likely, you will find every time you get better at strength and stamina, you will realize how much better you want to do, and that exercise goals aren't bad, just slow in achievement. But you can get there. There are reasons for improving strength and stamina. It will also make you faster and able to punch or kick harder if your chosen art needs that.

Don't worry about stretching or high kicking. You may never be able to do that, or you may do it inside 2 or 3 years. At least you don't want to lose what you have now. Talk to any instructor about your self-perceived limitations. They should be willing to help you improve.

Listen to other student's advice as well, but don't let it get you hurt of frustrated. There will come a time when you will want to give advice to new students. Understand you are only being told what worked for the person that gave the advice. It may not work for you, but don't be afraid to at least try. Remember that when you decide to give advice.

Understand that belts are a visible sign of where you are in your martial arts journey. To the extent that your fellow students and teachers help you develop and learn, gaining belts is a sign they didn't waste their time. Gaining higher belts should not be a goal for themselves, but they should be a goal in that they indicate progress. So I don't recommend that you put them down to quickly. Your fellow students may not understand.

Do quit smoking! Don't get discouraged, nor use the fact you may get discouraged as an excuse. I think I must have quit about six times before I really quit. That was about 40 years ago. I could not quit 'cold turkey.' I had to smoke cigars (I am physically unable to inhale cigars) for a month or two to have a chance. Some times it was more than a couple of months. But I would encourage anyone to try nicotine gum first. It seems to help a lot of people.

Don't be too quick to choose a martial art. Look around. Any properly taught martial art is a good one. It will improve your strength and stamina, and improve your ability to defend yourself.

Good luck. Let us know what your chose and how you improve.

OP
P

pankaixilaren

Orange Belt
Reaction score
You've gotten some good advice and some of questionable value. To restate what I consider to be good advice:

Go wherever you please, but go somewhere. Do not expect to be Mr. Universe in a month, nor a year. Just keep at it. Most likely, you will find every time you get better at strength and stamina, you will realize how much better you want to do, and that exercise goals aren't bad, just slow in achievement. But you can get there. There are reasons for improving strength and stamina. It will also make you faster and able to punch or kick harder if your chosen art needs that.

Don't worry about stretching or high kicking. You may never be able to do that, or you may do it inside 2 or 3 years. At least you don't want to lose what you have now. Talk to any instructor about your self-perceived limitations. They should be willing to help you improve.

Listen to other student's advice as well, but don't let it get you hurt of frustrated. There will come a time when you will want to give advice to new students. Understand you are only being told what worked for the person that gave the advice. It may not work for you, but don't be afraid to at least try. Remember that when you decide to give advice.

Understand that belts are a visible sign of where you are in your martial arts journey. To the extent that your fellow students and teachers help you develop and learn, gaining belts is a sign they didn't waste their time. Gaining higher belts should not be a goal for themselves, but they should be a goal in that they indicate progress. So I don't recommend that you put them down to quickly. Your fellow students may not understand.

Do quit smoking! Don't get discouraged, nor use the fact you may get discouraged as an excuse. I think I must have quit about six times before I really quit. That was about 40 years ago. I could not quit 'cold turkey.' I had to smoke cigars (I am physically unable to inhale cigars) for a month or two to have a chance. Some times it was more than a couple of months. But I would encourage anyone to try nicotine gum first. It seems to help a lot of people.

Don't be too quick to choose a martial art. Look around. Any properly taught martial art is a good one. It will improve your strength and stamina, and improve your ability to defend yourself.

Good luck. Let us know what your chose and how you improve.

Your valuable and very useful advices, stuck into my heart and my mind... I'll respect them and I'll try to remember them.
Thank you SO much!!!

OP
P

pankaixilaren

Orange Belt
Reaction score
And the winner is:...,

FMA - and more specifically, FCS , by Ray Dionaldo!!!

I'm starting on Thursday!
Thank you ALL, guys! I'm pretty sure, I won't regret it!

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
And the winner is:...,

FMA - and more specifically, FCS , by Ray Dionaldo!!!

I'm starting on Thursday!
Thank you ALL, guys! I'm pretty sure, I won't regret it!

Let us know how you like it. I hope you stay with it, but if you find it isn't really a good fit, no one would think less of you for trying something else. In fact it is encouraged that you find what you enjoy so you will stay with it.

Latest Discussions