A special circumstance

pankaixilaren

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Hi to all! I'm new to the forum and, as you can see, this is my first post / thread...
I do love martial arts, since I was a child. So, I'd love to start learning some! No... not (so much) for self-defence, as for making my life better! Here's why I'm telling that:
- I am 46 years old
- I have never experienced any sports, type of gymnastics, or form of exercise
- I am 1.69 tall and 95 kilos - 5.5 feet and 210 pounds
- I'm a "heavy" smoker, since I was 15... so, for the last 31 years
So... I'm looking for the least laborious and tedious martial art! That means - to me:
- No "hard" warm up... I'll never manage to do a "split", that's for sure
- No high kicks, roundhouse kicks, flying kicks and other "acrobatics"
- Just work (mostly) on hands... Hands, and some (effective) low kicks - not over the chest level
- Training that I can make and offer to that - I don't want to fool myself, my teacher, the other students, or the martial art itself
So, after a lot of thinking, I ended to "Hung Ga" shaolin gongfu style and Filipino Martial Arts (arnis / kali / esc/krima). The first one looks pretty doable to me and my skills. The second one looks ideal, 'cause of the start with weapons.
Can you help me to decide, which one to follow? Or, maybe, you have some other suggestions!...

Thank you in advance, guys!
Nice to meet you!

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Welcome to MT. Stop smoking.

Isshinryu if it's near you.

Best thing you can do is start training and then keep training. Doesn't matter in what as much as you might think.

FYI, I was a 2-pack a day smoker. Quit over a dozen years ago. What I did not realize was that I stunk. Nobody wants to roll with smelly guy. Just sayin'.

OP
P

pankaixilaren

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Welcome to MT. Stop smoking.

Isshinryu if it's near you.

Best thing you can do is start training and then keep training. Doesn't matter in what as much as you might think.

FYI, I was a 2-pack a day smoker. Quit over a dozen years ago. What I did not realize was that I stunk. Nobody wants to roll with smelly guy. Just sayin'.

Thank you for your quick answer!
Unfortunately, there's nowhere to be taught this karate style, not only in my city, but in my whole country!

MA_Student

Black Belt
Reaction score
So you don't want flashy stuff but are considering shaolin Kung fu? Okay but. Just so you know shaolin Kung fu is known for it's flashy stuff and acrobatics ....also why don't you just quit smoking and then train and everything will improve. If you want hands and low kicks Muay Thai sounds the best for you

OP
P

pankaixilaren

Orange Belt
Reaction score
So you don't want flashy stuff but are considering shaolin Kung fu? Okay but. Just so you know shaolin Kung fu is known for it's flashy stuff and acrobatics ....also why don't you just quit smoking and then train and everything will improve. If you want hands and low kicks Muay Thai sounds the best for you
Of course, I'd love to learn some shaolin kung fu style... But, I know I can't! I'm too old for that... I miss stamina, flexibility... I miss youth! My body can't change dramatically... So, I'll take what suits better to me!
Muay Thai, huh? Hmmm... never thought of it, to tell you the truth! Thanks a lot, for your suggestion!

MA_Student

Black Belt
Reaction score
Of course, I'd love to learn some shaolin kung fu style... But, I know I can't! I'm too old for that... I miss stamina, flexibility... I miss youth! My body can't change dramatically... So, I'll take what suits better to me!
Muay Thai, huh? Hmmm... never thought of it, to tell you the truth! Thanks a lot, for your suggestion!
Either that or boxing because in boxing you don't need flexibility at all as there's 0 kicking

OP
P

pankaixilaren

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Either that or boxing because in boxing you don't need flexibility at all as there's 0 kicking
To tell you the truth, I'd prefer Muay Thai... I couldn't stand to start with a broken nose, some martial art!!! No offence, OK? :D

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Athens... No, not GA... Athens of Greece!
Hmm don't have any specific recommendation, but someone here may.

However, here's my general advice. The specific style won't matter. The dojo/dojang/club/etc. will. Some places, of any style, will go hard from the start, and some ease you into their style. Having something that has higher kicks (probably not as the main focus) like kenpo or karate, may be beneficial as you can slowly gain that flexibility back. From what you've stated, you seem focused on striking arts, but grappling arts in general don't require much flexibility (tap early, tap often), and will give you stamina very quickly. Whatever you choose though, prepared to be winded at the beginning, and let the instructor know if you need a break. Go your own pace, and make it clear that you will need to do that when you first check the place out.

So, with that said, find places nearby. Check out as many of them as you can, and explain to the instructor of each place your concerns. Try a free class for each, and if you can't do that, at least try to watch a class and see what 'feels right' for you.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Side question: Why do you want to start with weapons, if you're not focused on self-defense?

And I just noticed that when I read 'making your life better', I made an assumption that you meant physical health. Do you want it to improve your life in a spiritual/mental health way? Or was it something else? If so, that might change my original response.

OP
P

pankaixilaren

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Hmm don't have any specific recommendation, but someone here may.

However, here's my general advice. The specific style won't matter. The dojo/dojang/club/etc. will. Some places, of any style, will go hard from the start, and some ease you into their style. Having something that has higher kicks (probably not as the main focus) like kenpo or karate, may be beneficial as you can slowly gain that flexibility back. From what you've stated, you seem focused on striking arts, but grappling arts in general don't require much flexibility (tap early, tap often), and will give you stamina very quickly. Whatever you choose though, prepared to be winded at the beginning, and let the instructor know if you need a break. Go your own pace, and make it clear that you will need to do that when you first check the place out.

So, with that said, find places nearby. Check out as many of them as you can, and explain to the instructor of each place your concerns. Try a free class for each, and if you can't do that, at least try to watch a class and see what 'feels right' for you.

Thank you SO much, for the useful infos! :)

OP
P

pankaixilaren

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Side question: Why do you want to start with weapons, if you're not focused on self-defense?

And I just noticed that when I read 'making your life better', I made an assumption that you meant physical health. Do you want it to improve your life in a spiritual/mental health way? Or was it something else? If so, that might change my original response.

I think that starting with weapons = less and not so hard warm up and easier training. When I reach the unarmed stage, I'll be pretty much ready - I guess.
Just physical health... Weight loss, quit smoking, gain stamina... OK, some mental health, wouldn't be bad, as well... I like eastern philosophy and I love asian people - I have visited China and Japan, just for vacation.

MA_Student

Black Belt
Reaction score
To tell you the truth, I'd prefer Muay Thai... I couldn't stand to start with a broken nose, some martial art!!! No offence, OK? :D
You can get your nose broken in Muay Thai it's got exactly the same moves as boxing plus kicks, knees and elbows. You can get a broken nose in any martial art that has contact training thats a risk you always take when you spar or do techniques on a partner. It doesn't matter what style there's always a risk

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I think that starting with weapons = less and not so hard warm up and easier training. When I reach the unarmed stage, I'll be pretty much ready - I guess.
Hmm not necessarily. The same amount of energy you spend not getting punched, you should spend not getting sliced with a knife. If you want to see something to scare you off weapons entirely, look up the dog brothers.

OP
P

pankaixilaren

Orange Belt
Reaction score
You can get your nose broken in Muay Thai it's got exactly the same moves as boxing plus kicks, knees and elbows. You can get a broken nose in any martial art that has contact training thats a risk you always take when you spar or do techniques on a partner. It doesn't matter what style there's always a risk
Well, sure! There's risk and shat can happens (accidents) in every moment... But, there's a myth, (an urban legend?... I don't know), at least here, in my country, that, on boxing, they break your nose, on purpose, at the very beginning!

OP
P

pankaixilaren

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Hmm not necessarily. The same amount of energy you spend not getting punched, you should spend not getting sliced with a knife. If you want to see something to scare you off weapons entirely, look up the dog brothers.
Ha ha ha! I know them! We have them , here, too... For me, they are some "hardcore" FMA athletes! :)

MA_Student

Black Belt
Reaction score
Well, sure! There's risk and shat can happens (accidents) in every moment... But, there's a myth, (an urban legend?... I don't know), at least here, in my country, that, on boxing, they break your nose, on purpose, at the very beginning!
Well I don't know about your area but most places that's a load of rubbish

MA_Student

Black Belt
Reaction score
Just physical health... Weight loss, quit smoking, gain stamina... OK, some mental health, wouldn't be bad, as well... I like eastern philosophy and I love asian people - I have visited China and Japan, just for vacation.
image.jpg

Latest Discussions