a saying about teaching the art

OP
T

thekuntawman

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Rich Parsons
thekuntawman,

So, if I choose to train with someone in this country who is Filipino and is not well known, is that good enough for you? Or, do I have to travel to the PI to get instruction even if it may or may not be as good or what I am looking for?

If I show up at your door, I still contend that most will not "PLAY" or spare with me. So, how do I fight? I know you said go to tournaments and ask around. Yet, let me ask, if I have faught with a stick and without a stick, on the matts and out on the streets? Does that count? Or does it have to be a fight that took place in the PI?

I respect pride in one's culture and one's country or heritage, yet I ask these questions out of respect to gain knowledge of your opinion.

Thank you

:asian:

it should not matter if something is good enough for me, i am only making a suggestion from my own opinion.

when i was talking about a teacher who you havent heard of before, i am only saying dont just chase after the teachers you read about in the magazines or the ones who make all the videos. if you have been in the martial arts for a few years, you should be able to see for yourself if a teacher has skills or knowledge. but some of the teachers who do not have big organizations or people who write stories for them are over looked, and new people they might meet will look past them because they dont have a "reputation" that they are looking for. most of this crowd i am not worried about as a teacher myself, because those are the kind of students i dont like. but at the same time i dont like to hear somebody being called the best, or better than other teachers (like me), just because this guy made a tape and we didnt.

but if you dont go to the philippines, but find a teacher here, that is fine. of course you dont have to go to the philippines to find a good teacher, and you dont have to fight in the philippines, but it is an experience that would be very good for someone who wants to call himself an expert of the philippine martial arts. but when a so-called expert wants to always question why would he want to go to the philippines, or ridicule training in the philippines, he is looking stupid. but it is very hard to find the kind of training you can do at home here in the US, and also very hard to find the people to spar with. why is that, its because most of the FMA people in the US dont believe in fighting.

you asked "So, how do I fight? I know you said go to tournaments and ask around. Yet, let me ask, if I have faught with a stick and without a stick, on the matts and out on the streets? Does that count? "

it you fought in the street that is good, but how much? a few fights is good, but as an expert you need a lot of fights. so you dont go around fighting all the time, so sparring with friends and tournaments is the next best thing, not doing drills.

how do you fight, you avoid seminar junkies and go to tournaments to meet people who enjoy sparring. you are not going to meet that many people in seminars who spar, except for maybe a doce pares or dog brothers seminar.

i think its funny that all these people say they love the FILIPINO martial arts, and philippine culture, when at the same time they say they dont care about going to see the country, learning the culture, and especially argue when anybody recommends going there. everytime somebody says, go to the philippines, everybody yells "what's wrong with studying here in the US? i'm not good enough? pride in our own culture is not an insult to yours. if sounds like some people have an inferiority problem. you know, i have to hear how great this country is, and how everybody should be more like us....its only fair you listen to another persons boasting sometimes.

John J

Green Belt
Reaction score
IMO...the standard of teaching and level of competency in the FMA is diminishing and will continue to do so for as long as the focus is on making money or the "who's who?"

bart

Brown Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
IMO...the standard of teaching and level of competency in the FMA is diminishing and will continue to do so for as long as the focus is on making money...

TRUE!

FMA worth money, but it shouldn't be about money. There is nothing wrong with selling what you're good at. There is much wrong with being dishonest and delivering a substandard product. It's a shame how some people sell belts and rank but don't base those belts and ranks on skill, practice, and knowledge.

...or the "who's who?"

It depends on how the "who's who" is measured. If it has to do with empty rank, then yes. But if it has to do with capabilities as an instructor, or as a practitioner, fighter...then I think that it may add instead of take away.

moromoro

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
brisbane australia, zamboanga philippines, sorsogo
However, I believe depending on the teacher (GM) it can be more benifical to train with a undeling or as you say 'down the line students'

man, you have to train with the main teacher preferable one with real fighting experience, there are alot of guys who are still alive and well in the philippines, while you have the chance train with them....

YOUR FOLLING YOURSELF IF YOU TRAIN WITH SOMEBODY WHO CANT FIGHT (never had a fight)>>>>>>>>>>>>>end of story...

also it is the FMA it is from the philippines it is a creation of the filipino people, SHOW SOME RESPECT FOR THE LAND AND PLACE OF ITS BIRTH, how can you call yourself a FMA instructor if you dont care about the culture or dont care about going to the philippines.....................

ITS FUNNY HOW PEOPLE HIDE FROM SPARRING, they say all kinds of things like its not real enough, well we know that but if its not real enough it should be a heck of alot easier than a real fight!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
my teacher GM Navarro wlaked into the first national arnis tournament in 1979 cebu city with firm belief that his combat skill would set him apart from his challengers( also he sparred all the time so for him sparring is a lot easier than real fighting), He fininshed the GM sparring division as the most victorious GM with 3 victories he was the only one not to wear hand padding he fought Cacoy Canete in the final (cacoy only match of the day) GM carlos navarro pushed cacoy out of the ring and on to the crowd we have a photo of this, after this GM navarro just gave up and to the crowds amazement they annouced Cacoy the winner they crowd strated to chant Carlos name calling out white hair white hair for carlos gray hair, ask anyone in Cebu about this they will tell you!!!!!! also they filmed this event but the film and video are gone?????????????naraphil didnt show them....????

the bottom line is there are some awesome GM's still out there who are real fighters, if you find them train from them you will learn alot more than from many other FMA who's GM just simply are not fighters.......

thanks

terry

John J

Green Belt
Reaction score
It depends on how the "who's who" is measured. If it has to do with empty rank, then yes.

Let me clarify, when I said "who's who", I meant the general public typically goes with the styles that are mainstream and may end up with an incompetent instructor. Regarding a "who's who" of empty-hands, I somewhat agree. There are many great empty-hand fighters/teachers without the rank or hype.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by moromoro
man, you have to train with the main teacher preferable one with real fighting experience, there are alot of guys who are still alive and well in the philippines, while you have the chance train with them....

YOUR FOLLING YOURSELF IF YOU TRAIN WITH SOMEBODY WHO CANT FIGHT (never had a fight)>>>>>>>>>>>>>end of story...

also it is the FMA it is from the philippines it is a creation of the filipino people, SHOW SOME RESPECT FOR THE LAND AND PLACE OF ITS BIRTH, how can you call yourself a FMA instructor if you dont care about the culture or dont care about going to the philippines.....................

ITS FUNNY HOW PEOPLE HIDE FROM SPARRING, they say all kinds of things like its not real enough, well we know that but if its not real enough it should be a heck of alot easier than a real fight!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
my teacher GM Navarro wlaked into the first national arnis tournament in 1979 cebu city with firm belief that his combat skill would set him apart from his challengers( also he sparred all the time so for him sparring is a lot easier than real fighting), He fininshed the GM sparring division as the most victorious GM with 3 victories he was the only one not to wear hand padding he fought Cacoy Canete in the final (cacoy only match of the day) GM carlos navarro pushed cacoy out of the ring and on to the crowd we have a photo of this, after this GM navarro just gave up and to the crowds amazement they annouced Cacoy the winner they crowd strated to chant Carlos name calling out white hair white hair for carlos gray hair, ask anyone in Cebu about this they will tell you!!!!!! also they filmed this event but the film and video are gone?????????????naraphil didnt show them....????

the bottom line is there are some awesome GM's still out there who are real fighters, if you find them train from them you will learn alot more than from many other FMA who's GM just simply are not fighters.......

thanks

terry

Terry,

But you see I cannot go to the PI, for all I will find there are people who do not like Amreicans. (* see news articales about people being kidnapped and or killed *) I will see people who do not want to teach the lazy good for nothing Americans. You see they all will have attitudes just like you. You have judges all Americans by a few, so I have to assume by your logic that all Filipinos still in the PI are just like you.

Please Note: All those I have had the priviledge to meet her in the USA, have been nice and friendly and polite. So, I guess there is nothing left in the PI for me to want to go see. Is this the effect you are going for here Terry?

I apologize, for I do not truly believe the Filipinos are rude and or all against Americans. I train with one weekly, and am Blessed by knowledge Manong Ted Buot is willing to impart to me. Yet, the other Filipinos and those of other countries of origin I have the chance to train with most have been good and knowledgeable. I was just giving my opinion oh how 'OTHERS' might see this.

Have a Nice Day
:asian:

moromoro

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
brisbane australia, zamboanga philippines, sorsogo
I will see people who do not want to teach the lazy good for nothing Americans. You see they all will have attitudes just like you. You have judges all Americans by a few, so I have to assume by your logic that all Filipinos still in the PI are just like you

funny that whenever i mention training in the PI.....people start getting defensive and downright ridiculous, they come up with alot of different excuses...

We filipinos love americans, and if you go you will have a great time, great hospitality,
Many dont appreciate foreigners
ABUSING THE FMA ..........................

Go to Cebu city and say your an american GM and say you want to teach them lessons........ I often wonder how the outcome will turn out...........

thanks

terry

Latest Discussions