A Revisit to USSD

Mariachi Joe

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Their business is not run vary well in my opinion. All the money goes to the top with none to the instructors. Plus you cant own the dojo 100%.

Your friend might want to check out www.shaolinkempo.com It's run by
Shihan Tom Ingargiola 9th dan. He's from fred villari's shaolin kempo. wwwvillaristudios.com And runs his own shaolin kempo schools. He'l let you own the dojo 100%.
USSD are very good sales man so tell him to watch out for any tricks.

He will notice most instructors there dont have nice cars and are over worked. You have to be there at 11:30 tell 9to9:30 and you get paid 300 a week no taxes taken out. So you have to pay more at the end of the year. Try raising a family or having life on that kinda pay.
So your really only making 200 a week. And working 50+ hours a week.
Most instructors quit after afew years because they cant make any money.

You have to buy $750 worth of black belt manuals a month from ussd regardless if you sign up 15 people or not.

I dont know how good villaris is? But I hear their dojos cost $40,000 to $50,000 and you get to set your own prices and hours and keep all the money.
That was one of my biggest problems with ussd is I'd have to pitch 10 people to get someone sign up for 185 a month. And I'd never see any of that money myself.
I hope this helps.

Helps a lot Shaolin Ninja, thanks

Mariachi Joe

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I am not aware of there being too many places that teach Kempo/Kenpo here in Utah other than USSD. Anyone know if there is anywhere that teaches Kara-Ho, Cerio, or American Kempo/Kenpo here in Utah.

IRO-Bot

Orange Belt
Reaction score
The rumors I heard where that Prof. Mattera was leaving to spend time at the Shaolin temple and was going to leave Demasco to run USSD as Grandmaster. Just a rumor I heard.

From what I heard from my Instructor, Professor Mattera won't ever leave Grandmaster deMasco in charge of USSD. He's not business-oriented at all, which is why most of the east-coast schools are struggling, as he is the head of USSD-East. After Mattera retires/dies/whatever, Shihan Paul Taylor will take over United Studios.

IRO-Bot

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I am not aware of there being too many places that teach Kempo/Kenpo here in Utah other than USSD. Anyone know if there is anywhere that teaches Kara-Ho, Cerio, or American Kempo/Kenpo here in Utah.

I saw an EPAK studio right across the street from Mr. Garvey's Studio in Riverton when I went on my Snake Test. But that's a long drive.

IRO-Bot

Orange Belt
Reaction score
[SIZE=-1]Here are some locations for Kara-Ho Kempo in Utah. (I've been looking around, myself, I was surprised to see so many.)
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]1. Ogden
Sensei Jeff Hayes Ph: (801) 458-3184
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]2. Salt Lake City
Shihan Chris Mendoza Ph: (801) 944-3837
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]3. Heber City
Sensei Michael Darnell Ph: (435) 654-1122
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]4. Orem
Sempai Pat Beachley
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]I found them here.
[/SIZE]

dianhsuhe

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Shihan Mendoza is a physician and does not have a commercial school. He is however our highest ranking Kara-Ho instructor at 6th Dan. He is an amazing martial artist and one heck of a nice guy!

Sensei Jeff hayes (3rd Dan) was my original instructor- He does teach, but again not in a commercial setting. Most Kara-Ho instructors teach in a gym or garage type setting... Which is the best in my opinion! :)

If you have any questions about Kara-Ho, feel free to ask! And if I cannot find the answer I will ask Grandmaster Kuoha personally.

Good luck in your search and keep us posted!

James

dianhsuhe

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Exile- During a 1 week period where I did not attend class, my girlfriend (19 years old-Receptionist at YMCA) had moved in with my teacher (TKD teacher 27 yrs old at YMCA). Somehow I just could not bring myself to train with "them" after that.

This was 1990, today they are happily married, kids etc. and run a successful TKD school. He never did apologize though---

james

IRO-Bot

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Shihan Mendoza is a physician and does not have a commercial school. He is however our highest ranking Kara-Ho instructor at 6th Dan. He is an amazing martial artist and one heck of a nice guy!

Sensei Jeff hayes (3rd Dan) was my original instructor- He does teach, but again not in a commercial setting. Most Kara-Ho instructors teach in a gym or garage type setting... Which is the best in my opinion! :)

If you have any questions about Kara-Ho, feel free to ask! And if I cannot find the answer I will ask Grandmaster Kuoha personally.

Good luck in your search and keep us posted!

James

I have plenty of questions about Kara-Ho. Considering, I am looking for something *real* after I leave United Studios. I want to know what you can tell me about the style. I also want to know who I can talk to about studying in my area.

shaolin ninja 4

Green Belt
Reaction score
From what I heard from my Instructor, Professor Mattera won't ever leave Grandmaster deMasco in charge of USSD. He's not business-oriented at all, which is why most of the east-coast schools are struggling, as he is the head of USSD-East. After Mattera retires/dies/whatever, Shihan Paul Taylor will take over United Studios.

One of the reasons the easy ussd's are not doing well is Grand Master Fred Villari has 100 or so schools out there www.villaristudios.com . Plus that's where shaolin kempo originated from. There's a 5th degree on every conner. Ussd can't open dojos down there with 1st degree's and charge $190 a month.

Mariachi Joe

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Dianhsuhe I don't learning in a garage or gym, I'll learn in a parking lot if I have to. What I'm wondering is can Shihan Mendoza or Hayes rank us and can we participate in open tournaments, will they recognize our rank.

Mariachi Joe

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Yeah I've seen that before.
They realy are blue belts because how fast they push you to brown in my opinion.

IRO-BOT could probably shed more light on ussd's instructors academy, but by the sound of it it's a sink or swim scenerio where you get rushed through advanced techniques so that an orange belt is teaching a green belt.

Mariachi Joe

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Mattera doesn't live at the temple he goes there for a few months out of the year to train. He lives in SoCal last I heard.

Latest Discussions