A Real Lightsaber

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
So these people have perhaps come the closest, so far, in building a real lightsaber. I posted this here rather than in the sword folder because this is a fantasy sword and what they built would probably not function that well as a real sword. Still, I must say they did a really good job.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
So these people have perhaps come the closest, so far, in building a real lightsaber. I posted this here rather than in the sword folder because this is a fantasy sword and what they built would probably not function that well as a real sword. Still, I must say they did a really good job.
very good, i always thought that besides having intresting fights in films, it a very flawed idea for a weapon, 1) why not just shoot them with your ray gun and two it appears to be as dangerous to you as them,

now a hover board, that i can see a use for

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
very good, i always thought that besides having intresting fights in films, it a very flawed idea for a weapon, 1) why not just shoot them with your ray gun and two it appears to be as dangerous to you as them,

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
very good, i always thought that besides having intresting fights in films, it a very flawed idea for a weapon, 1) why not just shoot them with your ray gun
At least in the movies, they're able to use it to block the blasts from the ray guns.

and two it appears to be as dangerous to you as them
Not in the right hands.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

At least in the movies, they're able to use it to block the blasts from the ray guns.

Not in the right hands.

The trick is that you have to have the jedi's super powers basically. So to make a lightsaber better than a gun, you've got to have the ability to see slightly into the future, have superhuman reflexes and twitch speed. When you take those, you can combine it with a sword that can reflect bullets, and actually use that sword to be better than a gun. Without any of that, you're just getting shot a lot.

Meanwhile, if you know the other person has all of that, you'll want the same since just using a blaster isn't going to get the job done.

I've always wondered if they could turn their abilities into using a blaster and shooting plasma out of the air...but that seems like it would be a good deal tougher. Basically the difference between hitting or bunting a baseball pitch with a bat, vs. trying to hit the pitcher's ball with one you throw yourself.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
It'll burn the mess out of you though.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The trick is that you have to have the jedi's super powers basically. So to make a lightsaber better than a gun, you've got to have the ability to see slightly into the future, have superhuman reflexes and twitch speed. When you take those, you can combine it with a sword that can reflect bullets, and actually use that sword to be better than a gun. Without any of that, you're just getting shot a lot.

Meanwhile, if you know the other person has all of that, you'll want the same since just using a blaster isn't going to get the job done.

I've always wondered if they could turn their abilities into using a blaster and shooting plasma out of the air...but that seems like it would be a good deal tougher. Basically the difference between hitting or bunting a baseball pitch with a bat, vs. trying to hit the pitcher's ball with one you throw yourself.
so its a force field, ? if you have a force feild you dont need a,weapon

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
Not necessarily.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score

In the last episode of Iron Fist on Netflix, they explored this idea where Danny can actually channel his super powers into guns, and, IIRC, Colleen Wing into her swords. Don't know if he could block a bullet with a bullet, but I don't see why not.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Not necessarily.
Not to get super nerdy, but all of these people had specialized training or attributes that allowed them to use the light saber as a basic sword. For example, Finn was a trained stormtrooper, and presumably able to wield similar weapons (i.e., other kinds of swords). Also, he got his butt kicked and never tried to do anything with the saber outside of using it as a simple sword, like throwing it and bring it back, or deflecting shots from a blaster.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Not to get super nerdy, but all of these people had specialized training or attributes that allowed them to use the light saber as a basic sword. For example, Finn was a trained stormtrooper, and presumably able to wield similar weapons (i.e., other kinds of swords). Also, he got his butt kicked and never tried to do anything with the saber outside of using it as a simple sword, like throwing it and bring it back, or deflecting shots from a blaster.
I think the key part is the end. Anyone can use a lightsaber like a sword if they want to, and trained/force sensitive people will probably do better (just like they'd do better with a knife than someone untrained/unenhanced). Just like we can go around and use a sword if we want in real life, and why there are still melee weapons in the army.

But to actual use it to the point where it's a better option than a blaster, that's something only people actually trained with the force can do.

Latest Discussions