A Question for School Owners

gixxershane

Green Belt
Reaction score
what degree black belt were you when you opend your first school??? what style did/do you teach..

i would like to some day open a school and teach people what i know...

any suggestions to have a succesfull school? any input is welcome.... :)

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I am not a school owner, but I'll give you my thoughts.

I am a first degree black belt in Tracy kenpo. My certificate states that I am authorized to teach and award rank. It does not state any special conditions, such as only promote people up to one or two ranks below me, none of that. I am not a member of Tracys organization. My teachers were independent, we did things our own way and we don't care what others think. I have never earned further rank in kenpo, having not had a school to train with once I left high school, moved away to college and got on with my life. But I still practice on my own. In the last couple of years I have also dug into the art and made some changes that I felt were necessary. I kept my instructor informed of what I was doing, got his thoughts and his blessing, and did some rearranging and streamlining. I didn't start to do this until I had been practicing the art for about 20 years.

That being said, I earned my rank at a young age: 16. I knew at the time that I was not ready to start a school (obviously there would be problems opening a business at that age and whatnot anyway), and it has taken me a long time to begin to feel like maybe I have enough experience to be able to offer something of quality. I am 35 now, and I have just started to feel like maybe I could be an effective teacher within the last few years. I still do not teach, but I have had various people ask if I do. I just don't have the time to commit to it right now, otherwise I might.

In the meantime, I have studied various other arts with other teachers. I studied Capoeira for several years, (left for a few years but recently returned) and reached the rank of Graduated Student, signified by wearing a blue belt (we have a very different belt system in capoeira, no black belt, only colors). Blue belt in our system of capoeira is probably roughly equivalent to first degree black belt in an Asian system, but within the proper context of the art, of course.

I have spent a few years training in Wing Chun. My teacher verbally told me that if I ever decide to teach, I was welcome to teach the Wing Chun as well. He felt that what I have learned from him belongs to me and I am welcome to do with it what I will. He never gave me a certificate, just word of mouth. I have certainly not mastered wing chun, and don't know everything about it, but he felt that the things I have learned, he was satisfied that I could do a good job of passing them on.

I have spent about 8 years training with another teacher (still with him) who teaches several arts, my focus being in Tibetan White Crane kung fu, and Tai Chi. Under him, I am a green belt, but our ranking system is very loose and not given much attention. He has not given me permission to teach.

I guess what I am trying to say is, don't be in a hurry. Sometimes earning rank doesn't mean you are ready to be teaching, at least not on your own. Take your time and get some experience under your belt. Teach under your instructor if you can, keep training, explore other arts, do whatever you can to solidify your background. I know that if I had tried to open a school as soon as I was legally able to, after earning my black belt, it would have been a total failure. I was simply not ready, and not mature enough to handle such a thing. Now, almost 20 years later, with a lot more experience in life and the martial arts, I finally think that maybe I have something to offer. If circumstances allowed, I would be willing to take a small number of dedicated students. I am not interested in running a commercial school. I would rather just meet at my home, or in a park with 2 or 3 people and train together. That sounds like a good start.

Hope this helps to give you some perspective.

OP
gixxershane

gixxershane

Green Belt
Reaction score
thanks, that does help.. i like to do research before i jump into something like this... im 25 yo, and i have been teaching at my current school, for my instructor.. i love it...

i think that i would like to do so when i get my 3rd degree (should take 8-10 years for that).. i just figured i could maybe get the ball rolling for this now... but time will tell.. :)

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Right on. Well, maybe if you have a couple people who are interested, you could start training them on the side, on your own time, at your home or in the parks or something. If it grows, someday it will be time to open a formal school. I definitely advocate starting small with this kind of thing. I think it is more realistic and healthier. You become a better teacher as your student body grows. If you start with too many students, and a business to run, and you aren't yet ready for that, it will fall apart.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I was a second dan (with 24 years experience) when I started my school. Before I would start a school, I would make sure that you had good communication with/& the blessing of your instructor. Whether at a Community Center or a fulltime comercial school, you'll need the help of your instructor w/ everything from testing to marketing ideas & support. If it's a comercial school, you'll need to know the BUSINESS of running an MA school. I don't care who you are, you can't run a successful MA program without knowing the business side of running a school.

Personally, I run a non-profit school out of a community center, so most of the business side is done through them. But I'm learning all I can about the business side, so if/when I ever want to run a commercial school, I'll have the know-how. Currently, I'm a business white belt. I'm seeking out "business black belts" to help me out.

OP
gixxershane

gixxershane

Green Belt
Reaction score
verry cool.. thanks for the input guys.... my instructor already said that she sees me owning my own school...

i took some business classes in school, but i do understand what you are saying and i also have the same mind set.. thanks once again guys...

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I was a first degree in Sikaran when I opened my first school. I was also 8 states away from my instrucor because I had moved

stickarts

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I was 2nd degree blackbelt and taught kenpo and arnis. I have since added a complete weapons program and for a time we did cardio kick boxing and also Aikido.

I have always kept martial arts mentors and got some good business advice. There's LOTS I don't know so I have been sure to keep a knowledgeable team of honest people around me. Our team has been the reason our school has continued to grow.

OP
gixxershane

gixxershane

Green Belt
Reaction score
stickarts said:
I was 2nd degree blackbelt and taught kenpo and arnis. I have since added a complete weapons program and for a time we did cardio kick boxing and also Aikido.

I have always kept martial arts mentors and got some good business advice. There's LOTS I don't know so I have been sure to keep a knowledgeable team of honest people around me. Our team has been the reason our school has continued to grow.

this is also what i plan on doing... and i also want to get some experiance in other arts, such as the arnis, and also some grapppling/ jiu-jitsu..

i think that i might have signed your guest book for your school..it is in cromwell ct right?? my girls parents live in meriden ct, and we visit there often..

im allways looking to learn more info in the arts... and i approch everything with an open mind... :)

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I was a third and had my Master and Mentor blessing upon me doing anything, I teach Traditional and Olympic style of TKD but also hold a fifth in Okinawa Karate, we teach weapons and SD along with all the TKD stuff.
I believe anybody with knowledge can open a school, but only teacher willing to sacifice can keep one open for the long haul.
Terry

Brandon Fisher

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I have taught through rec centers, ymca's and private lessons for the past 12 years and I have decided I am sick of not knowing anything of whats going on and having control of the program. So my wife and I are getting ready to open a commericial dojo. I am currently ranked as a 5th Dan and she is a 1st Dan.

stickarts

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
gixxershane said:
this is also what i plan on doing... and i also want to get some experiance in other arts, such as the arnis, and also some grapppling/ jiu-jitsu..

i think that i might have signed your guest book for your school..it is in cromwell ct right?? my girls parents live in meriden ct, and we visit there often..

im allways looking to learn more info in the arts... and i approch everything with an open mind... :)

Yes! That was us! We started in cromwell and moved to Middletown a few years back. Thanks for signing!

OP
gixxershane

gixxershane

Green Belt
Reaction score
stickarts said:
Yes! That was us! We started in cromwell and moved to Middletown a few years back. Thanks for signing!

i am deffinatly gonna stop buy the school next time im in your neck of the woods... :p