A question about checks

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
MattJ said:
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You have MY attention, sir. Can you elaborate?
After each strike you must return on the same path, provided you took the correct path to begin with; so, you are essentialy using the spaces between the notes to make the music.(I've heared that somewhere). Of course this is true of all your techs and sets but fingerset seems to force you into centripital and centrifical situations. I find the open handed return motion is so close to checking that I feel fingerset in all my forms and techs. Its a better place to go than looking on the internet for the one true way.
Sean

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
Touch Of Death said:
After each strike you must return on the same path, provided you took the correct path to begin with; so, you are essentialy using the spaces between the notes to make the music.(I've heared that somewhere). Of course this is true of all your techs and sets but fingerset seems to force you into centripital and centrifical situations. I find the open handed return motion is so close to checking that I feel fingerset in all my forms and techs. Its a better place to go than looking on the internet for the one true way.
Sean
Although waht you describe has the potential to check, you'll find in reality they lack the anatomical structural integrity to be realistically useful.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Doc said:
Although waht you describe has the potential to check, you'll find in reality they lack the anatomical structural integrity to be realistically useful.
I use it all the time.
Sean

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Doc said:
How many guys have tried to rip your head off this week, If you say you use it all the time? :)
Its a motion Kenpo thing. Don't get mad. If I use return motion through my opponent he is checked, cancelled out, or what ever. I have managed to avoid fisticuffs this week; thank you.
Sean

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
Touch Of Death said:
Its a motion Kenpo thing. Don't get mad. If I use return motion through my opponent he is checked, cancelled out, or what ever. I have managed to avoid fisticuffs this week; thank you.
Sean
Slacker:)

marlon

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Hello Doc,
do you have or plan to make a YouTube vid on checks as you understand them. Btw what type of checks do you teach, by name if it is not too much trouble
my thanks

Marlon

K831

Black Belt
Reaction score
Hello Doc,
do you have or plan to make a YouTube vid on checks as you understand them. Btw what type of checks do you teach, by name if it is not too much trouble
my thanks

Marlon

While I am quite confident that no "youtube" vid could be realistically made to explain all of the info on checking as doc "understands them" I do agree with Marlon's notion; a little vid giving some info on the subject, general or otherwise, would be a good one!

marlon

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Ah, well the vid part was a bit of a joke as I have encountered Doc before;)
of course any explainations of checks he should want to share are more than welcome.
You see Sir, I have learned somewhat and have a little sense of humor. :)

Luther

White Belt
Reaction score
Working Anatomical knowledge and or at the very least Quantified documentation on muscle behavior is really necessary to understand it's value and discuss it with any relevance to Kenpo. It's video representation would hold no more value than text on the subject. Anatomically speaking a "Slap check" or "BAM" could be measured with a concurrent assessment of muscle activity by a qualified PT.

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello Doc,
my thanks

Marlon

"Checks" as you call them, are an inherent part of the "how" of execution. Specifically named checks are usually space markers for missing information.

marlon

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
As per usual your responses leaving steeped in the recognition of the limitations of my so called knowledge
thanks

yorkshirelad

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
So let me get this straight. Paul said Mr. Parker put in 'checks' because without 'checks' the 'system wouldn't work for everybody?

While it is true most came from other styles and already had a working knowledge of the arts, the story suggests that Parker knew 'checks' but didn't need to teach them to certain people because they didn't need them because they were effective already. So by this logic, if Parker taught you 'checks,' it was because he didn't think you were any good?

So did Paul ever tell you where he got this info from sir, because he definitely wasn't there?
Awesome, simply awesome!!

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That wasn't awesome. Ed Parker taught checks because he thought the people weren't at the skill level to handle the more advanced ideas. Why does everyone have to be so negative?
Sean

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
As per usual your responses leaving steeped in the recognition of the limitations of my so called knowledge
thanks

Don't beat yourself up. Just keep learning as much as you can. It's not easy and requires time, and the presentation of useful knowledge.