A moment of optimism -- please join me

Gordon Nore

Senior Master
Reaction score
Something happened today.

A colleague of mine, with whom I share many beliefs, asked to bring her grade eight classes into the library to watch President-Elect Obama's acceptance speech on YouTube. (I've recently hooked up SmartBoard and data projector, along with a decent sound system, so my library is preferable for viewing media in large groups.)

There was a palpable excitement among my children in our inner-city school. Half of my kids at least come from families that have immigrated to Canada within the last five years. Besides English, my children speak something like two-dozen languages at home. Incomes are mixed. Some live in delapidated high-rises; some in modest houses. Some of my kids may one day realise economic independence and prosperity; some will remain locked in relative poverty.

Ordinarily, large-scale, serious news events -- unless they are tragic, like Virginia Tech -- do not hold the interest of many of my adolescent students. A major story emminating from Canada, such as a our own recent federal election, does not ignite their imaginations.

Today was very different.

I watched dozens of grade eight students file in, sit down, and listen to a televised speech with a sense of urgency and purpose. Children of all races and economic backgrounds knew that something historic had happened. The closest thing I can compare it to, as a man two years older than your President-Elect, is sitting in a school library with my classmates watching Apollo missions in the 1960s.

Special interests, Congressional antics, fear mongering, half-a$$ed pundrity, and cinicism will creep in soon enough. For now I think this is a wonderful moment for a country that has seen many, many difficult years. I salute you, America. Regardless of whom you voted for as individuals, you have taken the world's breath away.

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Let's at least give Obama, and ourselves, a chance. :)

Agreed - like him or not, he is about to be the President. And he has the best interests of the country at heart. Our country needs hope and optimism, I sincerely hope that it doesn't get swallowed in the pessimism and hate.

Archangel M

Senior Master
Reaction score
I hope that there isnt a big letdown when results dont meet expectations.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
It is something to "be there" when history happens. When it's a good thing, i.e. breaking the color barrier, it's something for the young to mark and realize that a hurdle has been reached and overcome. When they reach voting age then seeing someone of color campaigning and winning won't be a first.
Obama, however he may turn out, good/bad/same has given hope to millions more after him.
How many of my grade/high-school classmates in the 60's and 70's would've even thought it was possible. If you asked me if a black man could be president of the U.S. while I was in the 8th grade... honestly, I'd answer no... because even then I knew which way the wind was blowing.

Now lets hope in the future more barriers are broken down, once and for all.

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I hope that there isnt a big letdown when results dont meet expectations.

I agree, but I also believe that it isn't a matter of when, but if. The biggest concern there is that the American population has ZERO patience. They are going to want results immediately, which is impossible. Change on that scale is a long and slow process, as is improvement.

Archangel M

Senior Master
Reaction score
What caused the problem was a long process as well. Longer than the current administration. Hell a few years back the market was riding high.

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
Let's at least give Obama, and ourselves, a chance. :)

Like they gave Bush a chance? ;)

Regardless of how childish and petulant Dems and their liberal biased media have behaved over the last eight years, I plan to do the RIGHT thing and support our next president even though I am feeling a lot of apprehension right now.

I encourage all non Democrats (Republicans, Independents, Constitutionalists, Libertarians, etc.) to show more character and patriotism that the Democrats. For good or ill, let us show them how to be gracious in defeat over the next four years.

The ball is in THEIR hands. Let's see how they do with it.

grydth

Senior Master
Reaction score
Some guy wearing a Brown Shirt was a good orator too. I wouldnt trust glamor over substance.

Everyone has a bad post now and then, something way below what they are capable of. I may hold the forum record. This is one of your rare bad ones - I'd respectfully suggest walking away from it.

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
Like they gave Bush a chance? ;)
Yes, impeaching Clinton/Star's whitewater flailing etc was the acme of the Republicans giving a president a chance.

I encourage all non Democrats (Republicans, Independents, Constitutionalists, Libertarians, etc.) to show more character and patriotism that the Democrats. For good or ill, let us show them how to be gracious in defeat over the next four years.
Too late. Impeach Obama sites are popping up like mushrooms after a rain. Rapture ready folks are hoping he'll be assassinated. Patriotic? Nope. Classy? Nope.

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
BTW, is dissent still patriotic? Or is it divisive now? Should we MoveOn in the sense of letting bygones be bygones, as in the Clinton era, or should we MoveOn in the sense of spending Soros' money to try to kneecap the president at every turn?

I encourage all non Democrats (Republicans, Independents, Constitutionalists, Libertarians, etc.) to show more character and patriotism that the Democrats.

Shouldn't be much of a challenge.

Nolerama

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm optimistic, but pragmatic. Yes, the marketing worked. Now I can't wait to see how functional of a President Obama turns out. There's a lot of questions running through my head that I'm both excited and terrified about in terms of their answers.

What I've VERY optimistic about is the way a vast majority of the people in this country are coming together and actually tuning into their government, where before they just wrote off US Government as a bunch of rich, white guys running things.

The "Hope" marketed to voters might turn into permanent social conscientiousness for the masses. In that respect, I think everyone won on that note. It's about time that the American people started taking a greater concern in what their government does.

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
BTW, is dissent still patriotic?
I never understood why using the 1st amendment was supposed to be unpatriotic. Seemed more like lazy rhetoric than a real argument since unquestioningly supporting the president is apparently only important when he's a Red anyway.

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
... US Government as a bunch of rich, white guys running things.

You think this has changed just because a half-white rich guy got elected?

We'll see.

I'm hoping for the best but I won't be surprised if it ends up Business As Usual.

"Meet the new boss — same as the old boss."

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
Rapture ready folks are hoping he'll be assassinated.

Explain, exactly please, what you mean by this statement. Specifically the part I bolded. Just what are you implying?