A little info on martial arts weapons

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Addendum to my previous post because i missed it, i dont recall the Sai or Jutte being called sword breakers.
Thats a sword breaker. (for anyone who doesnt know what a sword breaker is and sees this thread)

Your example, as well as this:
69658cce3f815318c83ac125df82c439.jpg

and the sai and jutte were all called sword breakers.
None of them were really likely to break a sword. I've tried.
What they are effective for, is trapping the sword and breaking the attack/defense of your opponent. It's somewhat difficult to strike/block/parry if your sword is held in place for even a fraction of a second.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yes, both the Sai and the Jutte were referred to as "sword breakers". The problem is the translation and usage of the term "break". It did not mean to literally break it, it implied that you could defeat a swordsman with the weapon. Both weapons were capable of defending against a sword or other bladed weapon. Even in the European "sword breaker" it wouldn't have literally broke the sword, but it would break through the attack, or defeat an attack.

I don't recall ever seeing a weapon like @Rat showed. I have seen the Sai. Just for something to say, in the Hapkido I studied, we learned no-weapon defense against the sword as well as short stick defense against the sword. It doesn't have to be metal against metal for sword defense (granted that might give you more confidence).

D

Deleted member 39746

I don't recall ever seeing a weapon like @Rat showed. I have seen the Sai. Just for something to say, in the Hapkido I studied, we learned no-weapon defense against the sword as well as short stick defense against the sword. It doesn't have to be metal against metal for sword defense (granted that might give you more confidence).

Its Italian (if i remember right).

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
if you are interested in martial arts, then its weapons cannot be left behind, i was reading this article and i was thinking to share it with everyone as it has good information, here have a look at this A Little About Martial Arts Weapons - SwordsSwords Blog
Japanese weapon can not represent all MA weapon. Here are some Chinese weapon.

Chinese_weapon.jpg

Here is a strange Chinese weapon that was used to fight against Japanese pirates.