A little bit proud.

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
As many of you know, I'm not the youngest contributor to MT but last night I was awarded my Shodan in aikido. That's the reason for the stupid smile on my face this morning. :)

OP
K-man

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Congrats. So when are you going to switch to Aikikai? :)
My teacher was Aikikai and his teacher is still Aikikai so what I do is pretty much Aikikai anyway. My teacher spent a fair amount of time with Sugano over the years. I even visited Hombu when we were in NY some years back.

The training now is probably more along the lines of Tohai's teaching, less physical than many styles, especially those under Saito or Shioda. I find visitors from those styles far more rigid. So, yes, I'm comfortable with Aikikai and would probably go there if my teacher was to retire. Fortunately he's a few years younger than me.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Good on you, K. I am most pleased for you as you reach a very important milestone in your training. Now begins the self-doubt and the certainty that you are not good enough for your grade ... or at least that has been my experience :lol:.

OP
K-man

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Good on you, K. I am most pleased for you as you reach a very important milestone in your training. Now begins the self-doubt and the certainty that you are not good enough for your grade ... or at least that has been my experience :lol:.
No self doubt at all. If the aikido fails I'll just hit them! ;)

But, you are right. I have no delusions regarding my aikido skills, but .. in another 6 years .... :asian:

Latest Discussions