A Guide to Elbows

fightstuff

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Elbow techniques are perhaps the most effective weapon of any martial artist. The reason why is that there is very little flesh surrounding the elbow, which means they are like blades when hitting an opponent causing a lot of damage. I have seen many fights stopped because of cuts caused by elbow techniques. They might not look very powerful. However when they connect they can cut or knock out very easily.
There are five main elbow techniques in Thai Boxing which are: (1) Straight Elbow, (2) Uppercut Elbow, (3) Circular Elbow, (4) Reverse Elbow, and (5) Flying Elbow. If you combine these basic elbows with footwork you will be looking at an arsenal of around 35 - 50 different elbow techniques. Also when you start to use the elbow technique try not to go head hunting all the time, as the elbow technique is very effective to the body. I have dropped people by elbowing to the solar plexus and elbowing to the back of an opponent.
The question is now, how can you safely practice elbow techniques?
Traditionally we would only practice elbow techniques on focus mitts and kicking bags. Obviously this has it cons and pros. For Example, using focus mitts will allow you to hit the pad hard and build on your accuracy to a certain degree. However I’ve always believed that pads work and free sparring should go hand in hand, because when you free spar the target reacts and you will not be 3-4 inches away from connecting with the target like you are with pads. However you can’t exactly start free sparring with elbows, because the injuries would be horrendous. However there are elbow pads on the market, which will now you to practice elbows (in a free sparring controlled environment) without killing each out.

OUMoose

Trying to find my place
Reaction score
Just a couple things here.

Elbows are devastating weapons, however training needs to be done before attempting to use them, as the lack of muscle/fat protection also makes that area prone to damage and fracture. Ever hit your funny bone by accident? Multiply that by 1000 and that's what it feels like when you connect with another person "wrong".

Also, I'd be reluctant to hit a focus mitt hard with an elbow. There's just not enough weight there to give proper resistance. Sure, if you're going slow and working technique and targeting, by all means. If you're working on power and toughening, work the heavy bag or some heavy Thai forearm shields. It'll be less strain on your shoulder and you'll really feel the shot when you hit something that can take the hit.

So yeah, Elbows are fun to train and can be vicious in close quarters. They're one of my favorite techniques. Just make sure, as with everything else, the time is taken to do it right. :)

Drag'n

Green Belt
Reaction score
One of the things I love about Kudo, is that because we wear plastic face headgear, it alows for the use of elbows in regular sparring.
When I was doing MuayThai we couldn't use elbows in sparring at all, making it difficult to develop the necessary timing and distance.
My elbow technique has improved greatly since I started using the headgear.
Elbows do get sore sometimes though, wacking the hard plastic!

Latest Discussions