A group of A-holes.

Balrog

Master of Arts
Reaction score
So there's a problem here. I got this friend who was born premature, he is about 4'8. So since highschool is home to the greatest people on the face on the planet, they take it upon themselves to beat him up nearly every day. (According to his testimony) I've seen some of the bruises too.

He asks me to beat these guys up for him, it's a group of 3 inbred cornfed rugby players. I could do that, but you know, then I'd go to prison and prison is not fun. I've told him to make friends that can help him but he says that no one gives him the time of day unless it's to be cruel to him.

Of course the school staff is not helpful because let's be honest, they never are when it comes to athletes messing with people, or getting into trouble in general. I've offered to teach him martial arts and said it will take a while before you can be able to perform well enough to protect yourself.

Even then 1v3 is bad news for just about any person. My question is, what could be done here?
His parents need to have a come-to-Jesus meeting with the school administration. They also need to call the cops and have the kids arrested that are beating on him.

Teach him some simple self-defense moves and situational awareness, such as don't be alone with these bozos, try to stay around other kids or teachers, etc. Do you go to school with him? Have him hang with you whenever possible and just let the bad asses know that he's off limits from now on, and that *you* will report any more bullying to the school as well as to his parents.

MA_Student

Black Belt
Reaction score
Of course I can.
Don't know if your being serious or not but no you probably can't. Martial arts is great for 1 v 1. Against 2 sure it's possible but difficult. 3 or more very very very unlikely you can beat them. Fights aren't movies where they come in 1 at a time they'd all come at you at once from different throwing punches to try and seriously hurt you.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't know if your being serious or not but no you probably can't. Martial arts is great for 1 v 1. Against 2 sure it's possible but difficult. 3 or more very very very unlikely you can beat them. Fights aren't movies where they come in 1 at a time they'd all come at you at once from different throwing punches to try and seriously hurt you.
He never said he'd take them all on at once.

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
3 healthy adult sized athletes would likely kick your ***, unless you actually are a Chuck Norris joke come to life.
I've seen it go either way. I've seen small dudes utterly crush 3-4 opponents and I've seen big dudes beaten down by multiples. A lot of it is in aggression, commitment, mind set, and certain tactics.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Gosh, you're right. It's utterly impossible. ;)

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

OP
Ironbear24

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
Now I'm tempted to do it just to prove I can to strangers over the internet. That oughta patch up my fragile ego.

Anyway back on topic. I talked to his parents and his dad was oblivious to it. He was angry this was happening and his mother also had no idea. Apparently he never talks to them much about his problems. Dude is now mad at me but whatever, something had to be done.

OP
Ironbear24

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
If he ever changes his avatar, people who read your post are going to be so confused. :D

Oh don't worry, if I do change it, it will still be a pandas head poorly Photoshopped onto my body.

Last edited:

Saheim

Green Belt
Reaction score
I've seen it go either way. I've seen small dudes utterly crush 3-4 opponents and I've seen big dudes beaten down by multiples. A lot of it is in aggression, commitment, mind set, and certain tactics.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Pepper spray helps. Gotta fight three guys at once? Make sure they're all (temporarily) blinded before ya get started. Remember the old saying - if you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck :)

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
I know people that train TMA like to believe this, in fact it's often a selling point of TMA vs 'sport' type arts. If I had a nickel for everyone that's used it. "MMA is useless against multiple opponents" etc.

Unfortunately, it's not really based in reality. Sure, one guy can sometimes beat multiple skittish guys, but if they come to fight you are going to be boned 99 times out of 100, regardless of how flawless your roundhouse kick is or how good your chi sau sensitivity might be.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Anyway back on topic. I talked to his parents and his dad was oblivious to it. He was angry this was happening and his mother also had no idea. Apparently he never talks to them much about his problems. Dude is now mad at me but whatever, something had to be done.
Did he know you were going to talk to them? Why didn't he want them to find out?

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know people that train TMA like to believe this, in fact it's often a selling point of TMA vs 'sport' type arts. If I had a nickel for everyone that's used it. "MMA is useless against multiple opponents" etc.

Unfortunately, it's not really based in reality. Sure, one guy can sometimes beat multiple skittish guys, but if they come to fight you are going to be boned 99 times out of 100, regardless of how flawless your roundhouse kick is or how good your chi sau sensitivity might be.
Most don’t seem to come to fight, from all the video evidence I can find. Some do, but not most. That seems to be true of individuals to a lesser extent than small groups. I suspect that’s because the small groups are at least subconsciously banking on people backing down in the face of numbers.

OP
Ironbear24

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score

If they are fighters then no, I can't, I also never said I would go for them all at the same time either. If that were to happen I am still confident I'd be ok, again these guy have no training at all and just chase after a ball a few days a week. I wouldn't call myself a tma guy either, I never reject learning no matter where it comes from.

Some one wants to teach me an MT kick, I accept it, someone wants to show me a double leg take down I accept it. I don't go "no mister no, I only learn tma." My dojo doesn't really hold that many traditions aside from bowing in and out of class and a belt ceremony for promotions.

We mostly just work on well, our martial arts.

Did he know you were going to talk to them? Why didn't he want them to find out?

He demanded I didn't, I didn't listen because something had to be done.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Unfortunately this is common where the victim gets mad at the people who are trying to help. My experience is that things have a chance to get better once a pissed of parent enters the equation.

I know if my son was getting beaten up like that, I would have words with that kids parents as well, because the bully's parents may not know that their child is beating up other students. I don't know many parents who willingly want their kids to be school bullies. Some parents fly off the chain when they find that their child is a bully.

Most don’t seem to come to fight, from all the video evidence I can find. Some do, but not most. That seems to be true of individuals to a lesser extent than small groups. I suspect that’s because the small groups are at least subconsciously banking on people backing down in the face of numbers.
This has been my experience as well. Not everyone wants to fight or have beef with the guy they are ganging up on. As a person who is out numbered if you can keep the others from having a reason to fight you then you may be able to break down that group mentality enough where nothing happens. Sometimes it works and sometimes everyone comes to fight lol.

He demanded I didn't, I didn't listen because something had to be done.
You did the right thing. He'll appreciate it as he gets older especially if he has kids of his own.

Midnight-shadow

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm not very familiar with US law, but surely if there are bruises being left that qualifies as assault, especially from 17-18 year olds. So you've talked to the guy's parents, what are they going to do about it? Depending on where the attacks took place, they would either need to take it up with the school principle if the attacks happened on school grounds, or with the police if the attacks happened outside of school. Teaching self-defence techniques to your friend are nothing more than a band-aid and will not solve the bigger issue, which is that there are a group of thugs running around the school thinking they can get away with stuff like this with no consequences.

The only slight issue if the police did get involved would be proving that the bruises were caused by attacks and not from something else, however it's possible that just the threat of being arrested by the police might be enough to get the thugs to back off. Either way it's a lot better than trying to fight them 1v3 or 2v3.

Last edited:

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I know people that train TMA like to believe this, in fact it's often a selling point of TMA vs 'sport' type arts.
So what? No one but you mentioned TMA vs MMA. It's a bit of a straw man and a diversion.

If I had a nickel for everyone that's used it. "MMA is useless against multiple opponents" etc.
Who gives a crap? This isn't TMA vs MMA. I like MMA chances against multiples as much, maybe more. Aggression, mindset, certain tactics... It's not hard to apply certain aspects of Ring Generalship to this application.

I'm not sure what bee flew up your butt but you're the only one trying to make this TMA vs. MMA.

It happens more often then you seem to want to acknowledge.

Latest Discussions