a full-front facing stance for blocking?

Brown Belt

White Belt
Reaction score
For self-defense and training practice, when can a full front facing stance be used to momentarily stand still and execute a hard outward hand and forearm block at chest level to head level? In the Shotokan karate books that I have seen and read, they always mention that a half-front facing stance is used for blocking and a full-front facing stance is used for attacking. But I want to know if a full-front facing stance can be used for blocking with both hands and forearms at the same time or with one hand and forearm.

kempo-vjj

Orange Belt
Reaction score
my old dojo we drilled our blocks stationary, then had to come up with a 45 angles when performing self defense with our blocks. Maybe if you were caught by surprise and were not able to get off line from the attack you would be caught stationary. But with my new dojo, I have learned what one dojo's theory is for a blocking sequence and counter-attack is different from another. One not particularly worse than the other. Just different ways to go about it.

Robert Lee

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Look at stance as ever changing. You can use a deep front stance And move on to a higher stance in a blink of an eye. In combat You have a primary position And from that Base you change and return.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Off course you can...sometimes NO choice...do what you gotta do....we will never always get into the proper stance for any moves (blocking, striking,kicking and so on), in a real fight.

You fight back with what you can do...or use...may not always be in your best stance....but you block anyway ...or get HIT! ......Aloha

PS: This is my STANCE on this...

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Being that blocks are the first half of a strike. Just strike properly and it would follow you were blocking correctly.
Sean

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
All of this depends on the context. What form are you referring to?

If you are referring to "how it is done in basics" then I'm afraid, there is no correct answer.

Latest Discussions