A few questions about JJ

Status
Not open for further replies.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
That's what you take out of that? You make a comment about what "Japanese Jujutsu" is like, with no accuracy at all, due to your lack of exposure to the actual subject, I point that out, and you think I'm being "weird about this lineage thing"?!?

Dude. You might as well be telling people that all French cuisine is thin, fried segments of potatoes, because all you've ever had are French Fries… and then wonder why cordon bleu chefs disagree and correct your mistakes. That's the equivalent here.

Mabye manic is the better term?

Japanese martial arts isn't really a reflection Japanese culture anymore. Like everything else it becomes a fusion. Innovation is better than imitation.

So should OP step into a Japanese jujitsu school he is more likley to experience what I described than not.

Your metaphor would be more like a hipster demanding an egg plant be called an aubergine. You really are the only one who cares.

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
No, you've (hardly surprisingly) missed the point… despite the name, French Fries aren't even French, let alone indicative of French cuisine… similarly, many Western inventions, despite their name of "Japanese Jiujitsu" or similar, or claims of being "traditional", "the art of the samurai", or anything similar, are really nothing to do with actual Japanese jujutsu, traditional Japanese arts, bushi methods, or anything of the kind.

Simply put, if someone went into a "Japanese jujitsu school", and experienced the kind of thing you described, they haven't actually found a Japanese Jujutsu school. That's the point.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
egg plant be called an aubergine. You really are the only one who cares.

Actually no, no one other than Americans and you obviously call an aubergine anything other than an aubergine. Seriously, no one in the UK and Europe knows what an eggplant is. :D

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Actually no, no one other than Americans and you obviously call an aubergine anything other than an aubergine. Seriously, no one in the UK and Europe knows what an eggplant is. :D

See. That exactly.

An aubergine by any other name still tastes. Well kind of ick in my view.

(I was going to do the sparkling white/champagne distinction)

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Actually, Tez, eggplant is the more common term here.

And, honestly, the sparkling white/champagne distinction is at least a bit closer to the case here… if it's not actually from Champagne, it's not actually champagne… and becomes an imitation of it.

The thing with wanting to apply the term "Japanese Jujutsu" to actual, you know, Japanese Jujutsu… I don't see why you would want to knowingly mislead by putting forth non-Japanese systems that don't share much at all with their genuine name sake (certainly a lot less than sparkling white wine shares with actual champagne)… if someone comes along to the forum asking about Japanese Jujutsu, why should we present things that aren't that very thing they're asking about? They may not have much of an accurate impression to begin with (as you clearly don't), but that's what we can help remedy… well, provided you don't continually muddy the waters by bringing in inaccurate misunderstandings, non-Japanese arts, and then arguing about your own lack of knowledge in this subject.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Actually, Tez, eggplant is the more common term here.

And, honestly, the sparkling white/champagne distinction is at least a bit closer to the case here… if it's not actually from Champagne, it's not actually champagne… and becomes an imitation of it.

The thing with wanting to apply the term "Japanese Jujutsu" to actual, you know, Japanese Jujutsu… I don't see why you would want to knowingly mislead by putting forth non-Japanese systems that don't share much at all with their genuine name sake (certainly a lot less than sparkling white wine shares with actual champagne)… if someone comes along to the forum asking about Japanese Jujutsu, why should we present things that aren't that very thing they're asking about? They may not have much of an accurate impression to begin with (as you clearly don't), but that's what we can help remedy… well, provided you don't continually muddy the waters by bringing in inaccurate misunderstandings, non-Japanese arts, and then arguing about your own lack of knowledge in this subject.

So not the true jujitsu. But you are not hung up on linage.

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Not actually JAPANESE Jujutsu… seriously, are you that lacking in your ability to read a damn message?!? I've lost track of the number of times I've made that distinction in the last few posts…

Okay, I'm going to try this futility once more, and explain in a way that, maybe, you might grasp.

Imagine someone asked about a BJJ school. They want to know what is done there. And someone else commented that, in their experience, BJJ involves a lot of jumping, kicking, and solo practice, as well as some rolling around on the ground while people hit you, because they were told that what they were doing in their TKD class was BJJ… is it getting "weird about lineage", "hung up on lineage", or any other dismissive term for having understanding beyond yourself that you want to use, by pointing out that that's not BJJ?

Last edited:

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Aussies wanting to copy Americans lol. Ok for the rest of the world it's aubergine so still a lousy analogy. As for Champagne, legally it's not Champagne unless it comes from the Champagne region of France, so it's not an imitation of champagne it's an illegal copy lol. You sell something as champagne and it's not, you will be sued. The Champanois are zealous in their legal efforts when protecting their product.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Not actually JAPANESE Jujutsu… seriously, are you that lacking in your ability to read a damn message?!? I've lost track of the number of times I've made that distinction in the last few posts…

Okay, I'm going to try this futility once more, and explain in a way that, maybe, you might grasp.

Imagine someone asked about a BJJ school. They want to know what is done there. And someone else commented that, in their experience, BJJ involves a lot of jumping, kicking, and solo practice, as well as some rolling around on the ground while people hit you, because they were told that what they were doing in their TKD class was BJJ… is it getting "weird about lineage", "hung up on lineage", or any other dismissive term for having understanding beyond yourself that you want to use, by pointing out that that's not BJJ?

So tenth planet. Bjj? Which is not really real bjj shouldn't be called that.

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
By that logic, you'd say that Takamura-ha Shindo Yoshin Ryu, being based (now) in the US, isn't Japanese Jujutsu, but it matches what is found in other Japanese Jujutsu methods, and is a direct descendent of such… Tenth Planet BJJ matches what is found in other forms of BJJ, and is a direct descendent of such… many of these "Japanese jujitsu" schools don't actually descend from Japanese Jujutsu, and are mishmashes of what they think (classical) jujutsu is made up of, typically by combining methods and technical (albeit not truly understood) methods of systems and approaches that post-date what they think they're getting close to.

In other words, no, it's not that simple...

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
By that logic, you'd say that Takamura-ha Shindo Yoshin Ryu, being based (now) in the US, isn't Japanese Jujutsu, but it matches what is found in other Japanese Jujutsu methods, and is a direct descendent of such… Tenth Planet BJJ matches what is found in other forms of BJJ, and is a direct descendent of such… many of these "Japanese jujitsu" schools don't actually descend from Japanese Jujutsu, and are mishmashes of what they think (classical) jujutsu is made up of, typically by combining methods and technical (albeit not truly understood) methods of systems and approaches that post-date what they think they're getting close to.

In other words, no, it's not that simple...

Neither is the 10 planet relationship.

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
So… leaving off the fact that even 10th Planet doesn't use the term "BJJ" to describe themselves (simply "10th Planet Jiujitsu"), are you saying that, having trained under Jean-Jaques Machado, Eddie Bravo doesn't have a connection, and 10th Planet doesn't have a heritage to BJJ? Really?

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I say that given the demotion of Pluto to the status of "minor planet" and the astronomical societies now only recognize eight proper planets in our solar system, they've got a name problem.

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm going to give some genuine advice now god knows why but I will. If you don't want to get hurt at all your best bet is to something like boxercise classes. You won't get hit you'll get in shape and you'll have some very basic training it won't be amazing but it's more than you'd do now

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm going to give some genuine advice now god knows why but I will. If you don't want to get hurt at all your best bet is to something like boxercise classes. You won't get hit you'll get in shape and you'll have some very basic training it won't be amazing but it's more than you'd do now

Just because you don't get hit doesn't mean it won't hurt. I'm sure his finger problem will get worse from hitting a bag. Or even punching the air.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just because you don't get hit doesn't mean it won't hurt. I'm sure his finger problem will get worse from hitting a bag. Or even punching the air.

The person stood next to him might sweat and beads of it could hit him while he's jumping around. :eek:

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Yeah but it's probably least risk he can have but what am I saying he's not going to do anything

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
he's not going to do anything

Oh he will...he'll keep posting on here! A poster on another thread has just mentioned Muay Thai so look for that thread next...'is Muay Thai good for keeping your figure.'

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Oh he will...he'll keep posting on here! A poster on another thread has just mentioned Muay Thai so look for that thread next...'is Muay Thai good for keeping your figure.'
Nah it'll be does is it barbaric Muay Thai hurts your shins

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions