A few of my favourite things...

Zero

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Anyway, I was curious as to what aspect(s) of members' specific styles that they hold dear to them or get particular enjoyment, or interest, out of. It does not have to be that "killer" round house, it could be an aspect you would not directly apply in the ring or in self defence, then again it could be a certain technique (it may even be "spiritual"/philisophical aspects).

My core style is goju ryu karate. While not a significantly important aspect in itself or crucial part of the art, I have always found the supplemental traditional weight and resistance training of goju ryu as a nice and interesting aspect. While I do a lot of specfic weight and strength training in the gym, the traditional weights and equipment of goju ryu are specficaly tailored to improve body parts such as upper arm, forearm and wrist/grip strength. Furthermore, some are designed to specificaly strengthen the hands and grip for key hand techniques and in that respect could be seen as better or more appropriate than more modern weight lifting/weights.

For example, the "chiishi" for arm rotation work (wood or steel bar with concrete block at one end (blocks go up in varying degrees of weight)). The "nigire game" for grip strength (jar filled with sand or iron fillings etc - we had a few heavy ones in my old dojo which were glass jars and boy what a nightmare when someone's grip went on the lid!!). Also the "kangoken" (large iron rectangle/elongated hoop for leg and overall body strength and balance work, a good compound exercise).

This is just a small component of the art but something I have enjoyed. Interested to know if others have certain aspects from their styles.

Last edited:

sfs982000

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I've always been a big fan of kata, both performing them and observing them, for me it's a way as a martial artist to preserve the heritage of the art.