A Failure of Verbal De-Escalation?

Phil Elmore

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I woke up a few nights ago to the sounds of someone swearing, over and over again. "F--- THIS! F--- THIS! F--- THIS!" He was yelling at the top of his lungs. I sleep very soundly; he had to have been very loud to wake me, for the window in my bedroom was not open. The window in the kitchen down the hall was.

I thought it might be a domestic dispute of some kind. We've had a lot of nonsense going on the neighborhood lately, mostly involving simple disturbance-of-the-peace issues. I pulled on clothes and shoes, took my SureFire and my wireless phone, and went out to see what the hell was going on -- and call the cops, if necessary.

What I found was a twenty-something man of medium build and unremarkable features, screaming at the top of his lungs next to his Lexus. The back window was smashed out. He was extremely agitated.

I then entered some sort of surreal comedy skit.

"What's going on out here?" I kept my voice low; it was 0345 in the morning and there was enough shouting going on.

"MY TELEVIONS, THAT'S WHAT'S GOING ON! CAN YOU SEE THIS? WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH PEOPLE! I'M NOT TRYING TO WAKE ANYONE UP OR CAUSE ANY TROUBLE...!"

He went on like that for a while, and it was then that I got the general gist of the problem. At some point he indicated again that -- I guess -- he did not understand why anyone would care, besides him, what was going on.

"Well, you've got to understand," I said reasonably, "it's four in the morning and people are bound to hear the noise."

"THAT'S ALL PEOPLE IN THIS PLACE DO IS COMPLAIN!" he screamed. "WHAT ARE YOU TRYING TO DO? GET ME ARRESTED? YOU WANT TO ARREST ME? WHY DON'T YOU WANT TO ARREST THE PEOPLE WHO BROKE IN MY F---ING CAR? LOOK AT THIS, MY HARD-EARNED MONEY, MAN!"

It was at this point that he managed to communicate the nature of the theft -- apparently his Lexus had televisions built into the headrests of the seats so people in the back could use Playstations and such while riding in the vehicle. The headrests had been stolen.

"I don't want to get anyone in trouble," I said politely. "But it sounded like there was a fight."

"DO YOU SEE ANYONE F---ING FIGHTING HERE? DO YOU? DO YOU??"

"I was just concerned," I said. "I was worried."

"IF YOU WANT TO F---ING WORRY, WORRY ABOUT YOUR CAR! LOOK AT THIS!"

We went on like that for what must have been three or four minutes. Like Joe Pesci in Goodfellas, nothing I said to defuse the situation helped; he only got angrier.

"Did you call the cops?" I finally asked.

"WHAT THE F--- YOU THINK?" he demanded, still gesturing wildly at his car. I have honestly never seen anyone so upset about a burglary. He was practically foaming at the mouth, and I am not exaggerating.

"Are they on their way, then?"

That seemed to give him pause. At that moment, the first of what would be four police cars rolled up. Apparently the entire neighborhood dialed 911, for which I can't say I blame them.

The cops took the car owner aside. They originally asked me to stick around but then sent me on my way when it became clear that there was nothing violent happening (three of the four cars left, too). The last thing I heard was my neighbor talking to the cop:

"I'M NOT YELLING AT YOU, IT'S JUST...!"

I can only imagine that the officer found him as surreal to speak with as had I.

I never got back to bed that morning. I went to work instead, where I drank coffee and pondered the often irrational and almost always irritating nature of the human condition.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
OH MAN. That is RICH.

It SUCKS to get broken into, its happend to me. But all I can hink is that if he could aford a LEXUS with TVs in the headrests, I'm sure not feeling sorry for him, and I am sure his insurance covered the damage and replacements.

Dood needs to take a pill and BREATHE.

Great article, BTW, I always love reading your stuff.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Technopunk
OH MAN. That is RICH.

. . .

That is not me. :eek: Honest!

Latest Discussions