A Duck Tale

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
This is really quite a story!
Forwarded to me by a friend felt that it was good enough to share with the rest of you.

A True Duck Story fromSan Antonio , Texas
Something really cute happened in downtown San Antonio this week. Michael R. is an accounting clerk at Frost Bank and works there in a second story office. Several weeks ago, he watched a mother duck choose the concrete awning outside his window as the unlikely place to build a nest above the sidewalk. The mallard laid ten eggs in a nest in the corner of the planter that is perched over 10 feet in the air. She dutifully kept the eggs warm for weeks, and Monday afternoon all of her ten ducklings hatched.

mail

Michael worried all night how the momma duck was going to get those babies safely off their perch in a busy, downtown, urban environment to take to water, which typically happens in the first 48 hours of a duck hatching. Tuesday morning, Michael watched the mother duck encourage her babies to the edge of the perch with the intent to show them how to jump off. Office work came to a standstill as everyone gathered to watch.

mail

The mother flew down below and started quacking to her babies above. In disbelief Michael watched as the first fuzzy newborn trustingly toddled to the edge and astonishingly leapt into thin air, crashing onto the cement below. Michael couldn't stand to watch this risky effort nine more times! He dashed out of his office and ran down the stairs to the sidewalk where the first obedient duckling, near its mother, was resting in a stupor after the near-fatal fall. Michael stood out of sight under the awning-planter, ready to help.

mail

As the second one took the plunge, Michael jumped forward and caught it with his bare hands before it hit the concrete. Safe and sound, he set it down it by its momma and the other stunned sibling, still recovering from that painful leap. (The momma must have sensed that Michael was trying to help her babies.)

mail

One by one the babies continued to jump.. Each time Michael hid under the awning just to reach out in the nick of time as the duckling made its free fall. At the scene the busy downtown sidewalk traffic came to a standstill. Time after time, Michael was able to catch the remaining eight and set them by their approving mother.

mail

At this point Michael realized the duck family had only made part of its dangerous journey. They had two full blocks to walk across traffic, crosswalks, curbs and past pedestrians to get to the closest open water, the San Antonio River , site of the famed "River Walk." The onlooking office secretaries and several San Antonio police officers joined in. An empty copy-paper box was brought to collect the babies. They carefully corralled them, with the mother's approval, and loaded them in the container.. Michael held the box low enough for the mom to see her brood. He then slowly navigated through the downtown streets toward the San Antonio River . The mother waddled behind and kept her babies in sight, all the way.

mail

As they reached the river, the mother took over and passed him, jumping in the river and quacking loudly. At the water's edge, Michael tipped the box and helped shepherd the babies toward the water and to the waiting mother after their adventurous ride.

mail

All ten darling ducklings safely made it into the water and paddled up snugly to momma. Michael said the mom swam in circles, looking back toward the beaming bank bookkeeper, and proudly quacking.

mail

At last, all present and accounted for: "We're all together again. We're here! We're here!"

mail

And here's a family portrait before they head outward to further adventures...

mail

Like all of us in the big times of our life, they never could have made it alone without lots of helping hands. I think it gives the name of San Antonio's famous "River Walk" a whole new meaning! Maybe you will want to share this story with others.

grydth

Senior Master
Reaction score
Where are they now?

Michael was fired by Mr Drysdale for duck walking on the bank's time. He is haunted by nightmares of the duckling he didn't catch.

The bank has since moved to Malaysia, where it dines on bail out funds.

The police officers were investigated by media and Internal Affairs over the origin of the injuries to Duckling 1, who claimed he was beaten by police.

Duckling 1 successfully sued all involved for his injuries and today owns a KFC.

Mama Duck divorced and later remarried a cowbird. The two have overrun the city with offspring expecting 24 hour care.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Grydth! Don't be such a cast-iron cynic, my friend :D.

All I was going to ask is whether this heart-warming story was true or a fable? Because it is a re-pasted e-mail, the picture links don't work, you see.

OP
MA-Caver

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Grydth! Don't be such a cast-iron cynic, my friend :D.

All I was going to ask is whether this heart-warming story was true or a fable? Because it is a re-pasted e-mail, the picture links don't work, you see.
You should see the pics here... I do... is something not working here?
The pics tell the story as well as the text or at least substantiate the text portion.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Caver, you can see the shots because it's from your e-mail account (I'm guessing). The best way around our 'red ex' connundrum is for you to save the photo's out of the e-mail and re-host them then link or embed them in the above post.

OP
MA-Caver

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Caver, you can see the shots because it's from your e-mail account (I'm guessing). The best way around our 'red ex' conundrum is for you to save the photo's out of the e-mail and re-host them then link or embed them in the above post.
Alright I'll get to it.
I copy pasted from the e-mail to here...but well shows how computer-literate I am.

Latest Discussions