90 Elephants killed

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
That Sucks

http://worldnews.nbcnews.com/_news/...-with-cyanide-in-zimbabwe-wildlife-park?lite=

Almost 90 elephants have been slaughtered by poachers who poisoned them with industrial cyanide, authorities in Zimbabwe said Wednesday.
Rangers in the Hwange National Park discovered the carcasses of more than 40 of the gentle giants earlier this month and they continue to find bodies in recent weeks.
Park spokesperson Caroline Washaya-Moyo told NBC News that 87 corpses had been found so far, all with their tusks removed.
“Industrial cyanide used in gold mining was put in remote water holes and on salty ground that the elephants like to lick after drinking the water,” she said. “The poison was killing them and they were taking the tusks.”

OP
B

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
the elephants won't be the only victims....

Yeah it mentioned scavengers feeding on the bodies and any animals drinking from the poisoned lakes are also dead.

I wonder if there was a way to remove the tusks without hurting the animals

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I think there is, but the patient might not be very cooperative.

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Many places in Africa have been doing that for years, same with rhino horns. If the elephants don't have tusks and the rhinos don't have horns, the poachers leave them alone.
:asian:

Takai

Senior Master
Reaction score

Surgically yes. It is a shame that human greed makes us even have to think of such a thing.

Latest Discussions