9 mm vs. katana

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
How about if the katana wielder was 200feet tall, and had the katana popportioned suitably? Would an average dude with a .22 stand a chance if the 200 foot dude snuck around the base of a mountain and caught him from behind?

In that case, which would be more effective, leading edge strike, or a flat of the blade strike? I'm thinking one would displace more air, thereby causing more damage.

S

ShaolinWolf

Marginal! No, just no...don't even go there, buddy!...LOL. Way to much fantasy in that thought because that's not gonna happen. Unless of course the person is on something REALLY tall. Fantasy physics question, that's all. If the situation was in a vacuum, it all depends on the propulsion, velocity, and speed. anything related to 300,000,000 meters per second/186,000 miles per second, you do the math. No surface area factors, no air resistance, and everything falls at the same rate.

Anyways, Technology is always upgrading. The .45 is gonna outdo the katana at long range, and I agree fully with Rich. The .45 is faster in some aspects, no matter what range, and the katana is nowadays obsolete. You don't see people carrying katanas around that often in the streets. Now you don't see civilians carrying guns around either, but that's because they are concealed. Just imagine when they make the lightsaber. Then what's gonna be obsolete?...heh. How about the Gunblade from some anime. Nowadays it has to be a projectile at more than 5 meters. Not all the time, but mostly, unless you have a good knife thrower who can hit the bullseye.

S

Stick Dummy

Seig,

HA! 230gr./2 =- 115 gr. projectiles having a non-rounded contour striking at the exact same instant and same divergence path - ouch :erg:

Splitting projectiles on axe, sword, knife blades, is a parlor trick thats been done for over one hundred years by some of the greats including Annie Oakley (well it is Mothers Day right?).

By the time the katana wielding uke would realize what had happened, the .45 ACP would have reloaded at least once, if not twice, depending on operator skill, mitigating the errant shot.

Mark L

Brown Belt
Reaction score
TonyM. said:
A 230 gr 45acp. round makes a dent the size of a grapefruit in a beer keg.

Why are you hostile to beer kegs? Don't you know they are our friends! :cheers:

Rich Parsons said:
If the situation is reversed at 5 meters, I would put the money on Katana. The person with the 45 has to clear and aim their weapon.

Ever hear of the 21 ft rule? An LEO could probably explain better, and cite the research. My recollection is you shouldn't try and unholster, aim, and fire if an assailant is coming at you from less than 21 ft as they'll get to you before you can fire.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Mark L said:

Ever hear of the 21 ft rule? An LEO could probably explain better, and cite the research. My recollection is you shouldn't try and unholster, aim, and fire if an assailant is coming at you from less than 21 ft as they'll get to you before you can fire.

Yes, 5 Meters is less than 21 feet. I agree that even someone like myself who is not fast can close the distance before the weapon can be cleared and aimed. Now, I do know some officers who apply techniques taugh such as side stepping and increasing their range away from the initial point. This does give you more time..

I know there will be individuals who can accomplish the task though. I just think they would be the exception.
:asian:

S

Stick Dummy

Rich,

The "Tueller Drill" gives one the practice necessary to overcome the odds from the holster at 7 yards or less.

Me, I doubt that I could do better than 50/50 in real world enviroments.

Its all skill, speed, and practice just like anything else Martial..........

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Stick Dummy said:
Rich,

The "Tueller Drill" gives one the practice necessary to overcome the odds from the holster at 7 yards or less.

I agree that you can train to improve the odds. And thank you for providing the name of the technique or drill :).

I just have seen some who think it is possible to do it 100% of the time, get an eye opening. You can run or do a front roll to cover distance (* I know it does not allow for direct change as easily *) and pull a knife.

So, like you said, if you train it, you can improve your odds :).

Thanks Again.

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Stick Dummy said:
Rich,

The Tueller Drill was not designed as a drill one practices, but as a demonstration that LEO's need to be aware of the dangers faced when one is confronted with a knife wielding suspect.

Using male and female subjects of various ages, body types, weight, etc., Tueller determined that a person armed with a knife can cover an average of 7 yards and attack a LEO before said LEO can draw, aim, and fire two shots at the attacker.

I believe Dan Inosanto gives a very good demonstrations of this in a video called 'Surviving Edged Weapons' or somesuch.

Cthulhu

S

Stick Dummy

Cthulhu

Oh, I didn't know it wasn't to practice overcoming the odds, SORRY!

Didn't Fairbairn do something similar in the 1930's with the Shanghai police?

Have'nt seen the tape you mention, is it available to the public? Is that the same one with GT Leo Gaje from Pekiti-Tersia in it?

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
ShaolinWolf said:
Marginal! No, just no...don't even go there, buddy!...LOL. Way to much fantasy in that thought because that's not gonna happen.

I think it's at least as likely as the standard "Katana will win if the guy with the gun has no arms, is blind or dead already etc" conjecture.

OP
Cryozombie

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think the point of the excersise wasn't "whats better in a fight" but rather "Which is Stronger"

When the guy posted the original entry and not the results and everyone debated what they thought the outcome would be...

I picked the .45, but said that a lot of factors had to be taken into consideration...

G

Gary Crawford

any pistol fired enough times at the target should win.

Danjo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Okay. Lets say that the katana is magic, and the person wielding it is ...ummm...Superman. But then let's say that the .45 is a two barrelled .45 and it has magic kryptonite bullets in it and they are at 6 paces. But the paces are Jolly Green Giant paces.....

OP
Cryozombie

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Danjo said:
Okay. Lets say that the katana is magic, and the person wielding it is ...ummm...Superman. But then let's say that the .45 is a two barrelled .45 and it has magic kryptonite bullets in it and they are at 6 paces. But the paces are Jolly Green Giant paces.....

What color is the Kryptonite?

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
Technopunk said:
What color is the Kryptonite?
Trick question. Only Superboy had to contend with different colors of Kryptonite.

Heck, I'll go with white anyway. ;)

The gun's stronger than the sword though. Conditionals aside, if the sword was capable of matching the gun, then it'd still see use today in the millitary etc.

S

ShaolinWolf

Marginal said:
I think it's at least as likely as the standard "Katana will win if the guy with the gun has no arms, is blind or dead already etc" conjecture.
LOL, True....True....heheheh

Nightingale

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm not sure which would win if you put a Katana against a .45. I imagine it could have something to do with the skill of the weilders.

me, I'd rather have a katana in my hand, simply because I know how to use it.

Kembudo-Kai Kempoka

Senior Master
Reaction score
Aligning the edged part of the blade to the attack of the bullet is what loads the deck in favor of the sword. Shoot at the flat side of the blade, near about the 2/3 point proximal from the end of the blade, and you may have a different outcome, depending on the softness of the steel.

Seig

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Mountaineer Martial Arts - Shepherdstown,WV
Mark L said:

The 21 foot rule is conditional. It depends on the individuals involved. I have personally proved that before you can close 21 feet, I can draw and fire my weapon at you no less than three times. What the 21 foot rule takes into consideration is that even if you do draw and fire the knife weilder can get to you from sheer momentum before he dies. The key here is moving off center of the attack as you fire.