Supporting Member
Reaction score
At the going down of the sun and in the morning,
We will remember them.
13343120_818511431613428_425967571855655284_n.jpg

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Quite an accomplishment. It had a hard time getting off and running even after the beachhead. It was a great accomplishment, but at a high cost. All those who participated deserve our remembrance.

Thanks for the reminder.

aedrasteia

Purple Belt
Reaction score
We will remember them.

Oh, Tez, Thank you. So many of us do, in fact, forget. My father, an older WW II veteran, was always drawn to the writing and poetry of the Great War, He enlisted in one of the last US horse-drawn artillery units in 1928 (under-age but w/his fathers permission) and was greatly affected by the stories of the men who had been in France and Belguim. And he knew this poem. He talked often about the road that led to that Great War, the shock of it and the path from the first to the second 'world' war. This is writing to be remembered and to point us to those it describes. Thank you for reminding me.

They went with songs to the battle, they were young.
Straight of limb, true of eye, steady and aglow.
They were staunch to the end against odds uncounted,
They fell with their faces to the foe.

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
We will remember them.

They mingle not with their laughing comrades again;
They sit no more at familiar tables of home;
They have no lot in our labour of the day-time;
They sleep beyond England's foam.

w/respect, A

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I had an uncle who was there, got off the beaches and got wounded stepping over a booby trapped body. They fixed him up and sent him back in.

OP
Tez3

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In a time of political uncertainty, where extreme views from all factions are emerging and people are arguing among themselves it is good to remember to whom we owe the freedom from tyranny we have now. It is a reminder to consider who you vote for and why, and the cost these people paid so that we could live as free people.
If you consider your country not to be in a good place at the moment think how much worst it would have been if the world had been dominated (if not ruled) by the Nazis and Fascists. It is thanks to the sacrifices made that we have a world that while not perfect is a hell of lot better than it could have been.

pgsmith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
That link was very interesting!
D-Day always make me think of my Mum. She grew up in Southampton, but was stationed in northern England on a barrage balloon team. She always lamented the thousands of GIs that were staging in her home town, and she didn't get to meet a one! :)