7 year old wears KKK Costume for Halloween

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
As I said before, you have a tendency to move from one extreme to another. I will reiterate that I believe I have the capacity to be shocked by this, while ALSO recognizing that there are many worse things in the world.
What extremes am I going from? I hardly think my position that this is not a huge deal is extreme

OP
Steve

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
What extremes am I going from? I hardly think my position that this is not a huge deal is extreme
It's not a deal at all or it's a kid killing 10 kids at school. Those would be, in my opinion, two extreme positions.

OP
Steve

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
No Einstein, how about Edgar Allan Ho?

BX1Soh4CcAAcxBE.jpg:large
Haha. That's actually a pretty good costume.

billc

Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]
I understand why there would be outrage but I find it a strange peculiarity of our society that dressing up as something like Jack The Ripper for Halloween might be deemed by most as acceptable, but going as a modern day 'monster' like Hitler would be an atrocity.[/FONT]

Keep in mind what wearing a Star Wars Darth Vader points out....Darth Vader, the movie character participated in planetary genocide...should kids be wearing his outfit?

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Wait. What? You don't agree that those are two extremes?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Are they two extreams sure but that wasn't my position.
Again in your opinion your "shocked" and "outraged" over a stupid Halloween costume. I am not. It is what it is.

OP
Steve

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Are they two extreams sure but that wasn't my position.
Again in your opinion your "shocked" and "outraged" over a stupid Halloween costume. I am not. It is what it is.
So, then you are saying you do understand that something can be "shocking" without being a tragedy. If you have the capacity for a more nuanced perspective, I haven't seen it. I'll look for it from you in future posts. As I said, my perception is that you are either all in or all out. It's either no big deal or a very big deal, indeed.

Here's a question for you, that will help me understand where you're coming from. What is news, in your opinion? Can you point to some examples recently of things that you would consider "news."

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
So, then you are saying you do understand that something can be "shocking" without being a tragedy. If you have the capacity for a more nuanced perspective, I haven't seen it. I'll look for it from you in future posts. As I said, my perception is that you are either all in or all out. It's either no big deal or a very big deal, indeed.
Your perception is wrong I know that may be "shocking" to you
Here's a question for you, that will help me understand where you're coming from. What is news, in your opinion? Can you point to some examples recently of things that you would consider "news."
To be news it should actually effect other people. A kids costume doesn't effect anyone. I wouldnt even care that much if that went to my kids school. I feel bad for the kid hes going to have a rough life in the future but like I said Ive seen much worse at least his parents care enough to send him to school. Im sure there are areas near you with forgotten kids who's parents are more worried about their next fix then making a costume or even sending kids to school. So at the end of the day did this story effect anyone? Im sure there are plenty that claim to be "Shoked" but most people have already forgotten this a few min after they read it

OP
Steve

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Your perception is wrong I know that may be "shocking" to you
LOL. I'm okay being wrong. As I said, I'll pay closer attention to your future posts.
To be news it should actually effect other people. A kids costume doesn't effect anyone. I wouldnt even care that much if that went to my kids school. I feel bad for the kid hes going to have a rough life in the future but like I said Ive seen much worse at least his parents care enough to send him to school. Im sure there are areas near you with forgotten kids who's parents are more worried about their next fix then making a costume or even sending kids to school. So at the end of the day did this story effect anyone? Im sure there are plenty that claim to be "Shoked" but most people have already forgotten this a few min after they read it
Huh. Okay. Makes sense. I've never heard that particular definition of "news" before, but it's good to know what you have in mind when you use the term.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
. Makes sense. I've never heard that particular definition of "news" before, but it's good to know what you have in mind when you use the term.
Whats the point of having "news" if it doesn't effect anyone or provide information to people. Other then that its trolling to stir up trouble, or pointless filler

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Whats the point of having "news" if it doesn't effect anyone or provide information to people. Other then that its trolling to stir up trouble, or pointless filler

Behavior like this does affect people. There are plenty of people who have terrible memories of klukkers.
Do you think it's equally OK to dress up as Holmes and visit a theater? How about strapping on a fake bomb and going to visit a military base?

Wearing a KKK outfit (or allowing your child to do so) is deplorable.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Behavior like this does affect people. There are plenty of people who have terrible memories of klukkers.
Do you think it's equally OK to dress up as Holmes and visit a theater? How about strapping on a fake bomb and going to visit a military base?

Oh brother more phony outrage

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Oh brother more phony outrage

I think there's nothing phony about it. It's outrageous behavior on the parents' part--very offensive.

It is a fair question how far back in time you have to go before it's "OK" to do this. An Attila the Hun costume (if even recognized) is not likely to offend, but the KKK is much more recent--indeed, it still exists.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

Many more people have clown phobias....nobody gets upset over clown costumes....

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I think there's nothing phony about it. It's outrageous behavior on the parents' part--very offensive.

It is a fair question how far back in time you have to go before it's "OK" to do this. An Attila the Hun costume (if even recognized) is not likely to offend, but the KKK is much more recent--indeed, it still exists.
Like I said Id love to live in your world then if this is Outrageous behavior. Stupid parents sure, kids going to have issues when older sure, but outrageous...not so much

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
My 7 yr old and 4 yr old dressed as "Army Men" this year. That included toy guns. One house refused to give them candy because that found it "Outrageous" that we would glorify murderers. The old lady actually told me I should be ashamed of myself. I should have known better when I saw the "Bush committed war crimes" bumper sticker and all her Obama sticker. It is what it is everyones going to be Outraged by something Ill reserve mine for real issues not kids costumes and poor parenting

Latest Discussions