7 year old wears KKK Costume for Halloween

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Okay. Fair enough. You're okay with 7 year olds wearing KKK costumes at school. Simple enough, but for what it's worth, I don't like it.

How is it different then a kid with his guts hanging out and bullet holes in his face?

For what its worth I'm not "OK" with it but I'm also not shocked by it I guess I'm just indifferent. To me its like who cares bad parents. I call that kid job security when he grows up

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Outraged by stupid ****? I don't know, crushing. If a kid showed up at my daughter's elementary school wearing a KKK outfit, or a slutty tree outfit, or a hitler outfit or something along those lines, I'd have a problem with it. Outrage is a strong word, but I think it could fit, because I do find a KKK costume on a 7 year old to be outrageous. Why is that stupid to you?

Here's another question. Is there an outfit that would be out of bounds, in your opinion? What would cause an appropriate level of outrage? If a 7 year old dressed up as Osama Bin Laden? What about a prostitute? I ask, because I'm trying to figure out first, if there's a line in your opinion. And if so, where is that line? Can you give an example of any costume you would deem outrageous for a 7 year old?

I would be very upset, outraged even, if this happened at a local school/neighborhood to me instead of across the country somewhere.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I would be very upset, outraged even, if this happened at a local school/neighborhood to me instead of across the country somewhere.
You would "outraged"? Really by a 7 year old in a kkk robe? That's outrageous to you?

OP
Steve

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
How is it different then a kid with his guts hanging out and bullet holes in his face?

For what its worth I'm not "OK" with it but I'm also not shocked by it I guess I'm just indifferent. To me its like who cares bad parents. I call that kid job security when he grows up
Cynical, but understandable, Ballen.

OP
Steve

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
You would "outraged"? Really by a 7 year old in a kkk robe? That's outrageous to you?
Yeah. Outrageous. Ballen, it seems to me as though you believe some words mean things they don't mean. A 7 year old in a KKK robe at school is, in my opinion, a perfect example of something that is outrageous.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yeah. Outrageous. Ballen, it seems to me as though you believe some words mean things they don't mean. A 7 year old in a KKK robe at school is, in my opinion, a perfect example of something that is outrageous.
No to me outrageous would be the kid that goes into a school and kills 10 people. To me a bad costume is not even raising an eyebrow. Outrage is an opinion so if that really bothers you OK but damn what do you think when something really bad happens

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Cynical, but understandable, Ballen.

Not really cynical if you think about it. If he's got a parent that dresses him like a Klansman do you think he's got an above below on normal chance to be a productive member of society. I'm just playing the odds here

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If he's got a parent that dresses him like a Klansman do you think he's got an above below on normal chance to be a productive member of society.

What's outrageous is what the parents are or are not doing that leads to this situation. The kid is too young to have been responsible for what happened--he couldn't have appreciated how offensive it is.

I think my standard for 'outrageous' is different than yours--outraged doesn't mean I'll run for Congress to get the law changed, it just means it's a shock to my standards.

OP
Steve

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
No to me outrageous would be the kid that goes into a school and kills 10 people.
A kid that goes into a school and kills 10 people is really bad.
To me a bad costume is not even raising an eyebrow. Outrage is an opinion so if that really bothers you OK but damn what do you think when something really bad happens
I wonder if this on/off, black/white view of things is related to your profession. I don't see things as either being good OR bad. There is room, in my opinion, for something to be better than another thing and worse than yet a third thing.

For example, a child in a spider man costume is pretty innocuous. A child in a KKK robe is offensive. A child killing 10 other children is tragic. The child killing 10 other children is a real tragedy, but that doesn't mean anything that is less serious is okay and not a big deal.

Sometimes, ballen, and I'm being serious, you say some things that are just head shakers for me. You say things which are contradictory. In some threads, you're a stickler for rules, and in others, it's like, "Meh. They're not killing each other, so I'm good with it." Hard to track.

OP
Steve

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
What's outrageous is what the parents are or are not doing that leads to this situation. The kid is too young to have been responsible for what happened--he couldn't have appreciated how offensive it is.

I think my standard for 'outrageous' is different than yours--outraged doesn't mean I'll run for Congress to get the law changed, it just means it's a shock to my standards.
Exactly, and it was acknowledged in the short clip I linked to in the OP that the child just flat out didn't get the broader implications.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'd love to live in your guys world if this is that "shocking" to you

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
A kid that goes into a school and kills 10 people is really bad.
I wonder if this on/off, black/white view of things is related to your profession. I don't see things as either being good OR bad. There is room, in my opinion, for something to be better than another thing and worse than yet a third thing.

For example, a child in a spider man costume is pretty innocuous. A child in a KKK robe is offensive. A child killing 10 other children is tragic. The child killing 10 other children is a real tragedy, but that doesn't mean anything that is less serious is okay and not a big deal.

Sometimes, ballen, and I'm being serious, you say some things that are just head shakers for me. You say things which are contradictory. In some threads, you're a stickler for rules, and in others, it's like, "Meh. They're not killing each other, so I'm good with it." Hard to track.
Because to me a kid in a KKK costume does not matter to me. Who cares I've seen way worse parents then that. To me its not a shock not outrage not anything. If I saw that I'd shake my head and say idiot parents and never think twice about it.
This isn't black and white your comparison has nothing to do with black or white. I already said this is an opinion and to you apparently your "shocked". I'm not and wouldn't even consider this news.
Also being a stickler for the rules has nothing to do with this. Its not illegal to dress as a Klansman so what rule are we talking about. All this did was cause that school next year to not allow kids to dress up.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Aren't you supposed to dress up like a ghoul?!
Bad taste? Sure. But certainly fitting with the theme.

I find little girls in over sexualized costumes a lot more shocking.
I find the kid (black) in the orange jump suit was a serious shocker! The kid was maybe ten at the time. Seriously?

I find the outrage over white actress doing 'black face' for a costume retarded: she was dressing up as a TV show character who happened to be black. We can't have that, can we.

Man, we have come a long way...in the olden days a bed sheet was all the costume you needed!

The-Great-Pumpkin-peanuts-369924_1024_768.jpg

OP
Steve

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I'd love to live in your guys world if this is that "shocking" to you
Well, if a 7 year old at a public school in a KKK robe doesn't "shock" you, I'm very glad I don't live in your world. South King County, Washington is a pretty damned nice place to be. While not Shangri La, we don't think everyone is a racist, don't think every black child is a gangster, nor every white child a meth addict. We don't think that teenagers are all criminals, nor do we believe everyone with a gun is a villain (or a hero). And when people do stupid things, we have capacity within our range of emotion to be shocked without having to equate it to a horrific tragedy.

As I said before, you have a tendency to move from one extreme to another. I will reiterate that I believe I have the capacity to be shocked by this, while ALSO recognizing that there are many worse things in the world.

OP
Steve

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Aren't you supposed to dress up like a ghoul?!
Bad taste? Sure. But certainly fitting with the theme.

I find little girls in over sexualized costumes a lot more shocking.
I find the kid (black) in the orange jump suit was a serious shocker! The kid was maybe ten at the time. Seriously?

I find the outrage over white actress doing 'black face' for a costume retarded: she was dressing up as a TV show character who happened to be black. We can't have that, can we.

Man, we have come a long way...in the olden days a bed sheet was all the costume you needed!

The-Great-Pumpkin-peanuts-369924_1024_768.jpg
I'm still waiting for someone to dress up as slutty einstein.

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score

Not the 7 y/o, but the actions of the parents. In fact, you've linked the actions of the parents to the likely future outcome of the child.

Not really cynical if you think about it. If he's got a parent that dresses him like a Klansman do you think he's got an above below on normal chance to be a productive member of society. I'm just playing the odds here

I think I better understand where you are coming from now.

Latest Discussions