7 Easy Ways to Online Respect or, The Dummies Guide to Forum Behavior.

Bester

<font color=blue><B>Grand UberSoke, Sith-jutsu Ryu
Reaction score
Tired of being misunderstood when you post?
Wonder why you seem to type something and get a ton of grief?
The problem my friends, may be a local one, located between your keyboard and chair.
The good news is, the solution is at your fingertips!

Here are AB's 7 simple rules to fitting in and being accepted on most online forums.

7 Easy Ways to Online Respect or, The Dummies Guide to Forum Behavior.

1- Lurk at first. Lurking is the act of reading, but not replying. Do this for a week or 3 to get the feel for the "seriousness" level of that particular discussion area.

2- Be polite. While you don't have to "sir" people to death, being polite and respectful, especially in your initial posts will allow you to ease yourself gracefully into the community.

3- Don't be demanding, or hit the board screaming. You are the "New Kid". If you come in guns blazing, demanding to be treated like an expert, bossing folks around, or just being a general opinionated ***, it is correct to expect people will react, and react negatively towards you. It doesn't matter how big, important or more likely self-important you are in the "real" world. On a message board, you are just another guy, and one that most folks have no clue about. Being a bossy jerk from the start will get you ignored, flames, suspended and even banned.

4- Spell Check & Grammar Check. - 95% of communications errors online are due to misspellings, typos, and poor grammar. If you have a modern word processor like MS Word, it includes both features. If you are trying to get a serious point across, I highly suggest using it to proof your post before you hit that "submit" button.

5- Proof Read - Reading your whole message through before submitting will allow you to correct flaws in logic, grammar, and concept, BEFORE someone else takes you to task publicly. Remember, this is a written medium. We can't see you smiling, or frowning, and much of the meaning is lost, unless you make it clear.

6- Follow Netiquette - Netiquette is simply rules of behavior for the online world. It is the little things like not typing in all capitals, using readable fonts, etc.
A detailed look is beyond my intent here, but you can educate yourself on proper online behavior here: http://www.onlinenetiquette.com/netiquette_101.html

7- Don't post simply to disrupt, detract, or destroy established discussions. This is often referred to as "Trolling", and is a sure way to find yourself rapidly shown to the door on most systems.

7 simple rules. 7 ways to win. 7 Holy Paths to Salvation in the online world.

Enjoy

AB

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
How's a-'bout a suggestion box... two suggestion boxes... those serious ones and the ones that tell you where to STICK those stickies! :D

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Should be MANDATORY reading for all new members..

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can we have something that explains what are 'rude' words and what aren't? Different countries have different words, for example I will put four **** when I mean p*** off as that's rude here but I've been told it's not particularly rude in the States and if I put four **** people think it's an 'eff' word which I never use?
The worse one I think (not on here) was once when I was pointing out the irony of the fact we have a fag break during training and I got horrified replies, all I meant was we have a smoke break!

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We're not supposed to worry about what the rude words are; the profanity filter takes care of that for us. If it gets through the filter, it's legit; if it gets turned into asterisks, well, now you know.

A UK version of MT would probably replace 'bloody' with six asterisks, but there is universal consensus on this side of the Pond that it's not an obscenity; mostly, if people register it at all, they think it has a somewhat quaint flavor, I gather. (Strictly speaking, this is so only for the U.S.; in Canada it still ranks in some quarters as a swear word.) In Quebec, MT would have to * out the infamous expletive Tabernacle!!, the lustiest profanity in their lexicon. The word bastard is not used in polite company, and when I was a kid, it was considered ultra-profane, but times seem to have changed... me, I'm happy to just type away and let the PF do its work of turning vile language into puncuation... :lol:

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Also Klingon isn't filtered...but some of us can read it. ;)

shane

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Great post and have very useful advice for the readers .
thanks awesome man................