50 and sparring

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
You wrote have fun, but the way I read what you wrote was that improving yourself is the purpose, and having fun was a side effect. To me, having fun is the purpose, and improving myself is the side effect.
Hey guys, having fun and improving ourselves can both be the purpose for sparring.

Side effects may include bruises, sore muscles, pulled muscles, strains, sprains, bloody noses, broken bones, concussions, gasping for air, exhaustion, spontaneous combustion*, embarrassment, temporary euphoria from feeling like a badass, and discouragement from being reminded that you aren't nearly as badass as you had previously imagined. Ask your doctor if sparring is right for you.

*(Primarily for practitioners of Kabumei. Occurs in less than .02% of sparring sessions for other martial arts.)

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Finished up our midday workout, ate lunch, and in my easy chair prepared for a nap prior to the afternoon sessions begin...does that count?

Absolutely!

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Unless there is a medical reason why you shouldn't spar, go for it. I've got a student who is 73 who spars...
I was over 50 the last time I sparred in a tourney - and I sparred in the 30-35 year old class, because the "geriatric" class was empty.

KangTsai

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
A doctor just in case perhaps. Otherwise you're fine. We have a head instructor in his mid to late 50s and he looks as if he's in his prime (always fit is what I'm saying).

Latest Discussions