5 year old black belts?

Calhoun

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Seen an Ad and had kids 5 yr old with Black Belts.
I don't know what kind of training one gets or teaches a 5 yr old to be black belt.
But I do see how that differs people to not want to join any martial arts class/school, etc.
This is plain and simple black belt factory. I hear "ATA" schools have some kind of annual dues for ones to keep their Black Belt rating (whether you continue to practice or not) and some schools a person can become blackbelt in 1-1/2 years.
Since I go to class and spend alot of money for what I do these types of schools. really gets to me. I'll probably will be black belt canidate when I'm 49,(purple, for awhile now by my choice)
There's alot of forms to remember, besides all the other basics stance,kicks, etc.
I myself at this point really do not have Black Belt goal date set, I just keep doing it in case I need to use and keeps me in shape.

Maybe someone can tell me what it took for a 5 yr old get get a 1 dan black belt?

shauntkd

White Belt
Reaction score
The KKW will not certify anyone under the age of 15 as a BB. USAT will only give a poom certification to someone under 15.

Jade Tigress

RAWR
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have a question about this. Suppose the child trains for 2 years, is tested say...every 2 months, learns the material for their age level and reaches bb. The child continues training. Wouldn't they have to start at white again learning the next set of curriculum for the age level? This has always confused me.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Maybe someone can tell me what it took for a 5 yr old get get a 1 dan black belt?

Certified check or money order is usually a good place to start.

Dave Leverich

Black Belt
Reaction score
Personally, I started in the ATA 21 years ago (nearly 22 now).

"I hear "ATA" schools have some kind of annual dues for ones to keep their Black Belt rating (whether you continue to practice or not) and some schools a person can become blackbelt in 1-1/2 years."

It took me nearly 3 years to get my 1st degree, practicing 2-3 hours per night, 4-5 days per week. Granted, they are licensed schools (meaning you're not bound to completely rigid rule on some things).

With every organization, you'll find good and bad, I'm sure there are those out there with open hands, but I'm sure there are those in other organizations as well. I've seen all forms of TKD Karate for Kids out there though, although I haven't noticed ITF or WTF, I've seen probably 10 different versions of the same cookie.

As far as paying to keep the black belt rank... Does any organization remove rank for inactivity? There is an annual due to retain membership, but it's like under $15 (and basically covers the cost of the magazine).

Anyway, from the tone of the first post, I really hope this isn't the yee-old bash the ATA forum. I saw enough of that on Bullshido thanks.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The KKW will not certify anyone under the age of 15 as a BB. USAT will only give a poom certification to someone under 15.

This is not a true statement under the age of 15 they are consider a POOM rank but they are BB, when they hit 15 they can send in the paperwork and change the poom for a dan rank. USAT will also give out poom ranks but they are BB and that I can promise you.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have a question about this. Suppose the child trains for 2 years, is tested say...every 2 months, learns the material for their age level and reaches bb. The child continues training. Wouldn't they have to start at white again learning the next set of curriculum for the age level? This has always confused me.

No Jade if they are Kukkiwon certied they just transfer there poom BB for a dan rank right now the cost is 40.00 dollars, this only happens when they turn 15 and send in the paperwork.

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Anyway, from the tone of the first post, I really hope this isn't the yee-old bash the ATA forum. I saw enough of that on Bullshido thanks.

Hi Dave---I don't think anyone intends to bash ATA (if things start getting nasty---and it's not common---the mods step in). The discussion is intended to remain friendly. That doesn't mean you never get heated exchanges, and there are probably very few orgs out there that someone on the site hasn't had trouble with at one time or another... but no, nothing here is like Bullshido!

Dave Leverich

Black Belt
Reaction score
Good enough for me :)

Way I figure, you have good and bad in every organization.
After this long, half the people I trained with that still train are now WTF or ITF, or HTF, or ITA... etc.

I just think I'm a little too much of one person to stand up and try to defend every instance of something linking back to one organization. I'd much rather talk about martial arts :)

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
To get back to the original question, I personally have a real problem with awarding black belts to kids who still need to hold a parent's hand to walk across the parking lot. Part of being a black belt, IMHO, is the ability to teach what you have learned. I know some very talented teens who can teach - but I've never met a 5 year-old, no matter how talented, who could properly instruct other students. We don't have a junior black belt - a Poom rank like Terry is talking about - but you have to be 14 to test to BB in our association.

Dave Leverich

Black Belt
Reaction score
I hear you.
I'd be hard-pressed to test anyone under 10/12 up that high, and it'd be an individual bases for sure. I did watch one 12 year old test for 1st degree, sparred continuously for 45 minutes, medium contact, vs all the blackbelts in the school (including guests). I'd seen this kid give 300% for years in training. He made most adults work ethic seem lacking... I was proud to see that one get his black, at 12.

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have heard stories of these "5 YO BB", but I have never seen one. I kinda feel it is like looking for Bigfoot or Nessie. Not a very productive venture for me.

TX_BB

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Part of the problem I think your having is, " What is a Black Belt?" In some cases it is a sign of what class of fighter you have for the sport. To me a Black Belt is the begining of understanding for most martial artists.

wade

Black Belt
Reaction score
No, no, and Hel, uh, hel, uh, heck no. When you are a white belt everything is based on your physical ability. When you are a BB everything should be based on you mental ability. Soooooooo, no! Not gonna see a 5 year old BB. I don't care how talented they are, not gonna happen with me.

TKDmel

Blue Belt
Reaction score
First I must say that it is admirable that a child of 5 has the ability to memorize and execute all the poomse and self-defense techniques needed to pass a BB test. However, knowing first hand how children tend to drift from one sport or interest to another, can a 5y/o stay focused enough to continue to train for the next 11 yrs. to become a full dan. As an adult we have the mental and emotional tools to continue through what might be called a rut, boredom, repitition, injury etc. It doesn't take much to distract a juvinile mind. If TKD or any art is to become a strong cohesive institution, then retention is the key. I just don't think that attaining a BB/poome at such a tender age is wise.

mango.man

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
My child started at age 5 and is now 14 and has not slowed down at all. If anything her drive to excel in this sport has increased several fold.

Jade Tigress

RAWR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
No Jade if they are Kukkiwon certied they just transfer there poom BB for a dan rank right now the cost is 40.00 dollars, this only happens when they turn 15 and send in the paperwork.

Thanks Terry. But what about other organizations? Do you have children that reach bb? What happens next? When they are ready to move on? Obviously kids are training to their level. As they age, they must continue training to their level. So, are they eternal black belts, or do they enter the next phase as white? I'm talking about legit schools here, not mcdojo buying rank.