43 and Judo?!

Discussion in 'Women of the Martial Arts (Women Martial Artists)' started by Shizu, Oct 27, 2015.

1. Tony Dismukes

Tony Dismukes Senior Master

• MartialTalk Mentor
    Thanks for the kind words.

I'm totally impressed with your gumption coming back after a 40 year break. I'm 51 years old and I try not to take any breaks from training longer than a week any more because it's just so hard to get the psychological momentum (and the cardio) back after any kind of extended training hiatus.

2. Old Judoka

Old Judoka Yellow Belt

I hope my gumption stays impressive. The only thing I seem to be successful with against the young cats is footsweeps. I learned them, then ignored them when I was young, now I NEED them. Feet don't fail me now!

3. Tony Dismukes

• MartialTalk Mentor
    I really would love to get better at foot sweeps. Mine kind of suck.

4. Old Judoka

Old Judoka Yellow Belt

Mine did in the day, I'm not sure why, but they seem to be better now.

5. Langenschwert

Langenschwert Master Black Belt

It's awesome that the OP is starting Judo at 43. I started at 41, so it's certainly doable. My sensei says starting Judo later in life is cool because you are more teachable and sensible. Just be sure your training partners are on the same page as you, otherwise things can go sideways very quickly. I politely decline randori with folks who I feel aren't safe for me to spar with.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Shizu

Shizu White Belt

Well today was my first day.

A few realizations...I am severly out of shape where in the warm up, the kids all beat me...lol.
    Judo is way harder than kendo. Like waaaaaay way harder.
    Going through my first day really increased my respect for everyone who takes this martial art. Not to say that I had no respect before, but my gosh...it is rigorous!

My first day I was taught ukemi, - not so bad...but have to speed up my timing along with hitting my hands more firmly on the mats-and was taught to front and back roll.

I did want to say that I had some serious issues with rolling. I exhaled on the roll, and tried to focus my eyes on the wall so I wouldn't become dizzy, but there was a moment where not only did I become dizzy, but I literally crashed my body into the wall so I wouldn't pass out or puke. A bit of shock factor if you will...

Everyone was quite considerate in telling me to go at my own pace, but my question is how do I temper the dizziness?

By the way...I will add this.

I LOVED EVERY HARD MINUTE OF IT. :woot:

• Like Like x 1
  7. Tony Dismukes

• MartialTalk Mentor
    Relax, breathe, go slow, practice lots of reps. You'll get used to it before you know it.

8. imitation_vanilla

imitation_vanilla Yellow Belt

Join! You're never too old to learn, to get fit, and to improve! Be mindful of your body's limits, hydrate, and have fun!

9. Shizu

Shizu White Belt

Well here's my update.

I started doing judo at the Japanese Canadian Cultural Centre in Toronto, in January.

For the first month I thought I was going to die during the warm up. Like seriously.

I remember doing this thing with the class where we lie down and use our forearms to drag ourselves across the dojo floor.
    I struggled...looked around, I was ahead of the kids...thought ok I'm good...then I look over, and see my daughter-7 years old- wave to me as she passes me and gives me a thumbs up...and the rest of the class waited until I finished.

That was the beginning.
    I try to go a minimum of 3 times a week...and sometimes can hit up the dojo 5 times.
    I struggled, learned my limitations, learned who to partner with and who to avoid in order to not get stupid injuries.
    I learned to have patience with myself and to not compare myself to anyone else, as this journey, is my own.

On Monday, I was pretty surprised after a very vigorous class to be awarded my green belt.

I am absolutely in love with judo and to be honest, wish that instead of kb'ng I had started this instead.
    But...better late than never and I am enjoying this!
    Love the friendships I have made, the people that I have met and the Sensei's there are pretty amazing.

One of the best decisions I have ever made!

Thank you to everyone who took the time to give me some help and some great advice!
    Much appreciated!

:)

• Like Like x 3
  10. Tony Dismukes

• MartialTalk Mentor
    Congratulations!

11. Flatfish

Flatfish Black Belt

Congratulations. One quick question: Is green your first belt after white? When I did Judo back in the middle ages in Germany we went white, yellow, orange, green, blue, brown, black. We had about one year between each belt test, but that could also have been because we actually had to bring in examiners from the German Judo Organization, more difficult to organize I suppose.

12. Shizu

Shizu White Belt

Hi Flatfish,

No it is not the first.
    Went from white, yellow, orange and then green.

13. Charlemagne

Charlemagne Black Belt

If you're healthy I say go for it! The only thing that would cause me concern would be the number of falls you take. Even with excellent ukemi, you are still going to get a lot of impact. That being said, impact can be excellent stimulus for bone density, so as long as you don't have other issues, it isn't that much to worry about. I personally have a low back that is crapping out on me, so I have stick with my Old Man Judo (aka BJJ) and FMA.

I hope it goes really well for you!

14. Shizu

Shizu White Belt

Thanks Charlemagne!
    I totally agree with you regarding the concern re number of falls, so I limit myself during tachi-waza.

I am cognizant of my age, and my limitations....and again, am careful with the partners I choose...brown belts/black who work with me versus working with some young bucks who go all batty crazy trying to drill me through the mats.

I also started doing mobility exercises at home, to stretch out hips, joints, etc. That helps a lot too!

But I have to say....man is this ever fun!!

• Like Like x 1
  15. Charlemagne

Charlemagne Black Belt

Glad you are enjoying it!