43 and Judo?!

Discussion in 'Women of the Martial Arts (Women Martial Artists)' started by Shizu, Oct 27, 2015.

1. Shizu

Shizu White Belt

Hi Everyone,

I'm new here and looking forward to getting to know others along with getting more knowledge.

That said, I used to kb for a while but stopped for ten years, and I've been in kendo for over a year.
    I have my kids in judo...and to be honest, judo has become very appealing to me.
    When I mentioned it in an off hand way of me going into judo, my kids became super excited and it got me
    thinking on how beneficial it can be both to them and me doing a martial art together.
    I am seriously considering joining but hesitate because of my age.
    Any advice on joining at my age? Is it possible or am I reaching too high here?

Thanks for reading!

2. Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang Senior Master

If you feel comfortable to do hand stand against wall and look at the world upside down, you will be suitable to train throwing art such as Judo.

I have seen well fit body builder when his opponent used "shoulder throw" on him, that body builder's face turned into pale and never came back to that training hall.

[​IMG]

3. Shizu

Shizu White Belt

Thanks. Yes I'm ok with that.
    I don't think that bodybuilders actually count in the world of martial arts....do they??

4. Buka

Buka Grandmaster

• MartialTalk Mentor
    Welcome to M.T, Shizu.

What's wrong with you age? Is it broken? Go have fun. Go on, now.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Shizu

Shizu White Belt

Thank you Buka!
    I think that due to the martial arts I have done which are striking mostly and then with the shinai that I feel that perhaps it is late for me to start judo due to me not being so flexible?

Maybe it's my mentality that needs to flex a bit.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Buka

Buka Grandmaster

• MartialTalk Mentor
    I think it's going to make you more flexible, more fluid. And, oh what fun you should have. :)

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Tony Dismukes

Tony Dismukes Senior Master

• MartialTalk Mentor
    Judo can be rough on the body, but it's definitely doable at age 43. You just need to find the right instructor and training partners - ones who will focus on safety and adapt to where you are at.

• Agree Agree x 6
  8. The Great Gigsy

The Great Gigsy Orange Belt

First welcome to MT. As Tony stated above judo can be hard on the body, but it doesn't have to be if you learn to fall correctly which any good instructor will make sure before you are throwing and being thrown. As to your previous training judo is an excellent supplement. There may come a time when someone is able to close the gap and grab you, in which case you throw them to the ground.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. ks - learning to fly

ks - learning to fly Senior Master

I am 46 and training for my 3rd Dan in TKD - what are you waiting for..? :)

10. Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise MT Moderator Staff Member

Judo can be tough on your body and particularly your knees. If you do decide to train be careful and train smart!

• Agree Agree x 3
  11. Shizu

Shizu White Belt

Thanks everyone!

All the Sensei's at the dojo I am interested in are very good and go according to the persons capabilities from what I see.
    I just heard that since it is hard on the body that one shouldn't start late in age.
    Buuut....whatever. I'm doing it and will go at my own pace.
    Next sign up is in January so in the meantime I will continue doing kendo.

Again thank you for the responses !

• Like Like x 1
  12. Brian King

Brian King Master Black Belt

• Supporting Member
    • MartialTalk Mentor
    For some with age comes wisdom. If this describes you then go for it and enjoy the exploration. You have experience and should know when your body wants you to slow down. Injuries often come from trying to do more that then body is capable at that moment, ignoring pain and discomfort while trying to sooth the ego. Wrestling and ground work can be very healthy if done intelligently. Wrestling and ground work can cause training injuries if done mindlessly. Kind of like Kendo and wearing the right gear.
    Welcome to MT and I think it is GREAT that a parent supports their kids training and can model the beginners mind and excitement of learning new things. Look forward to reading more of posts.

Regards
    Brian King

13. frank raud

frank raud Master Black Belt

I started judo at the age of 48. I was fortunate to find a club with a large portion of older students, who all had to get up the next day. Lots of fun and a great workout!

14. Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang Senior Master

It also depends on the mat and floor that your Judo school has. In one Judo school, their training hall was built on top of a wooden deck above the ground. With nice comfortable mat on top of it, you can be thrown on it all day long and you will feel nothing.

15. TSDTexan

TSDTexan Master Black Belt

Learning to relax while being thrown is critical. Hitting tense is what hurts most.

Get your kids to teach you falling and rolling techniques. Invest in a good quality matt for you and the kids.

Being able to practice at home will get you the most milage out of your lessons.

Invest in a copy of Cannon of Judo by Mifune... or the book called "best judo". These make good bathroom reading material and will help you put names to what you see and learn in class. Train your brain not just the body.

Judo is very practical. Especially once you get 5 to 10 years in and start learning how to use judo in a no gi setting.

If you are serious sbout judo. You need to start strength training on your grip. Without a proper grip you cannot effectively throw.

I recommend getting a judo gi pants, finding a chin up bar, and tossing them over. You want the waist equal with the hem/leg cuffs. Then with both hands pull yourself up and hang, and eventually build the strength to do a chin up motion.

You want to wear your grip out. Give it a few days and wear it out again. Eventually (a year or two) you should be able to hold your own body weight in your gi fabric grip for 20 to 30 minutes. You really don't need to train duration past this but my old coach could hang for 3 hours. (And he had a 40 foot rope full of gi sleeves that we would monkey bars across, over an over until we fell.)

So yeah. Grip strength work and stretching. . .
    These I highly recommend.

16. Shizu

Shizu White Belt

I have to say wow and thank you to all of the advice!
    I really really (cannot say how much) appreciate it!

TSD Texan, I'm a visual kind of person...if there is a photo of the gi pants on a chin up bar, I would love to see.

I am super excited but love the fact that my children are as well.

I also am appreciative of my kendo sensei who has shown me only graciousness and kindness in seeing me move on to another martial art, and the help of fellow kenshi -who most think I'm psycho to go into such a hard martial art. ;)

I won't lie. I know it will be tremendously hard. I come from a striking background. 8 years thereabouts of kickboxing...but stopped for a decade, kendo for just over a year...and I have never grappled...well, apart for fun that is.

So again, thanks everyone for your responses and I appreciate the time taken to give me advice.

:)

17. TSDTexan

Product demo to show you what you can use as a gi fabric grip trainer. I have a few of these, myself.

Scramble Grip trainers are what these are.
    image.jpeg

But you can just use gi pants.

Julcp5s.gif
    Now if your chinup bar won't let you just grab the legs... then pull down the waistband until equal with ends of the pant leg... and grab both sides with one hand. And do the same on the otherside with the other hand.

Or gi jacket.
    DSC_0835.jpg
    011910Lee-gi-pullup-778438.jpg

Other ideas... drill a pair of baseballs. Add two eyebolts, two carabiners, and nylon double ring straps.
    DSC_0237-300x300.jpg
    DSC_0268-151x300.jpg

Last edited: Nov 2, 2015
  18. Shizu

Shizu White Belt

Wow those are awesome!
    Thank you!!!!

19. TSDTexan

Your wecome. Glad I could offer a few tips.
    And welcome to martial talk.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Old Judoka

Old Judoka Yellow Belt

Tony, every time I see a post from you I'm very impressed with your advice. I'm 56, just started training in judo again after a 40 year break, LOL. It's never to late for judo, take your time stretching and warming up, work thoroughly on falls AND make sure your training partners are on the same page as you are and have fun with it. All my training partners are college kids, they are all very fast, but they are all taking it easy on an old man.....for now.