3rd Question - Election Reform

Bester

<font color=blue><B>Grand UberSoke, Sith-jutsu Ryu
Reaction score
In the aftermath of both the 2000 and 2004 presidential election, many voters have expressed concerns over how their votes were counted. Within the US there are literally dozens of different systems for counting votes. Some are more prone to error and tampering than others. In an embarasing turn of events, International observers were also present to monitor our elections this year, a step usually reserved for developing third world nations. Some call for the elimination of the Electorial College as well.

What steps would you take to improve our election system?

What is your position on the presence of international observers?

What would you do, if anything regarding the Electorial College?

Darksoul

Black Belt
Reaction score
-Yeah, who can really know if the voting is rigged or not. People and groups, government political parties especially, have an agenda. Would it be possible to put the election system in the hands of an independent company? I think its important to have international observers, if nothing more than to remind ourselves the rest of the world is watching. And the US must be watched. Who knows what we'll do next? In school I thought the electoral college was a good idea, but as time passed, I realized its part of a system that is under control by humans with agendas. I don't think the system works in most cases, simply because of the way humans are.

A---)

R

rmcrobertson

The system, actually, works pretty well. Don't blame the Electoral College for our bonehead decisions.

Darksoul

Black Belt
Reaction score
-I think you misunderstood me amigo, I think the system could work, just not with the way humans behave. If more citizens were on the ball and really keeping up with politics and the running of the country, I think the system would do well. Were the framers of the constitution wrong to put power in the hands of the few? I know there must be leaders, but history is full of incidents where those in charge were screwing the people. Maybe a good question is how to get people more involved in being a "citizen".

A---)

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Bester said:
In the aftermath of both the 2000 and 2004 presidential election, many voters have expressed concerns over how their votes were counted. Within the US there are literally dozens of different systems for counting votes. Some are more prone to error and tampering than others. In an embarasing turn of events, International observers were also present to monitor our elections this year, a step usually reserved for developing third world nations. Some call for the elimination of the Electorial College as well.

Is beforemath a real word? I wonder?

Bester said:
What steps would you take to improve our election system?

Common process, and forms for everyone. This will get a common program out there for education of the voters on how to fill out the forms. Personally I like the fill in the oval, as this is clear and almost everyone has filled in ovals for scan trons or other testing here in the USA. Yes, there can always be issues with votes not counting, yet the newer systems will read the votes, and if one is not sleceted it will tell you it cannot read for XYZ position. If there is two seleceted, it will also give you an error. In which case the person can get a new ballot and have the otherone destroyed as spoiled. Still not perfect, yet covers msot of the immediate issues.

Bester said:
What is your position on the presence of international observers?
No problems only it would be expensive. No real solution for this though.

Bester said:
What would you do, if anything regarding the Electorial College?
I actually like the electoral college. I also dislike the electoral college. I think it is good as to give smaller states a slightly adjusted or qualized position. Yet to have the whole stat vote one way based upon a single vote is not my idea. I agree with proportions of for votes. If a state has 3, the minimum, then teh voting would be divided into thirds. Now this cause problems with third parties and such for you would need to have a minimum to obtain an electoral seat. This is closer to the popular vote method, while still having teh benefits of the electoral college method. Yet, this could happen today, and is controlled by the states, and not the federal government or regulations.