3 way fight

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Interesting. There are a few videos of full fights up on YouTube. Apparently the rules were stand-up striking only until one fighter gets eliminated by KO/TKO, then it would switch to MMA rules for the remaining two competitors. I'm not sure if the company held more than one event or not - their website is no longer registered.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Interesting. There are a few videos of full fights up on YouTube. Apparently the rules were stand-up striking only until one fighter gets eliminated by KO/TKO, then it would switch to MMA rules for the remaining two competitors. I'm not sure if the company held more than one event or not - their website is no longer registered.

Too bad. I like stuff like that. In fact, I'd even like to see small teams ... like gang warfare, if you could ref it well enough to keep it safe. But then I'm probably just a sick puppy. Meanwhile I'll just go back to watching Dog Bros. clips...

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Too bad. I like stuff like that. In fact, I'd even like to see small teams ... like gang warfare, if you could ref it well enough to keep it safe. But then I'm probably just a sick puppy. Meanwhile I'll just go back to watching Dog Bros. clips...

My intro match to Dog Brothers (this year, my first year) was a 3 on 3 knife fight. Complete virtual bloodbath, nobody would have lived through that riot.

takadadojokeith

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Too bad. I like stuff like that. In fact, I'd even like to see small teams ... like gang warfare, if you could ref it well enough to keep it safe...

Then you'll probably dig this. Watch from the 10:10 mark to see a 2 on 2 fight.

Last edited by a moderator:

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Then you'll probably dig this. Watch from the 10:10 mark to see a 2 on 2 fight.

Not sure what the rules were there... the ref had no control and it almost turned into a riot at the end. I think previously posted three-way fight presents a more interesting challenge in terms of tactics. Similarly a bout between small groups might be interesting in that it would make strategy and teamwork more important. But perhaps this type of competition is best done in a high quality amateur setting, like Dog Bros. gatherings.

BTW I'm using the word amateur in the original sense, not indicating poor quality, but rather to indicate an activity done for the pure desire to compete without financial remuneration or public acclaim.

Last edited by a moderator:

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The potential problem I would see with a 3-way competition is the same problem I always had playing Risk: two people would make an under-the-table deal, TKO player #3, and then fight each other for the title.

Blade~

White Belt
Reaction score
I also knew a guy who's ego was high enough to challenge two people at the same time from a school. He was in the same style but a different school. The event went as far as they even found an organizer who would put the show on but then of course the guy backed off -- what a surprise!

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Never seen a martial arts competition between 3 people before.

fight clip SAN DO .mov - YouTube

We used to do that in the dojo from time to time. It was always fun. And everyone seemed to enjoy it.
BUT - what came to mind when I read that post was something different.
Do you guys know who Fred Villare is? (If you don't, consider yourself damn lucky) He is a 12th Degree Black Belt in making money. No lie.

I went to one of his tournaments at the request of a friend. I've been to a lot of such things, but nothing like this. Ever see a Kata competition? It's usually five judges sitting in chairs and each competitor comes forward, states his name, Style, school and the name of his Kata.

At Fred's tournament there were so many competitors (all from his schools and his schools only) there was one judge sitting in a chair and THREE people doing kata in front of him at the same time. Usually doing different kata. There was at least twenty rings going at the same time with that 3-1 ratio. CHA-CHING goes the cash register.

Sorry for derail, but that was the image when I read the OP. Just wanted to share. :)

Latest Discussions