3 Beats in Training

chinaboxer

Green Belt
Reaction score
This concept of 3 beats in training, is IMO at the heart of all the bickering in the wing chun community. The younger, faster chunners see wing chun as "offense is the best defense". but the older chunners see wing chun as "defense is the best offense". because of these conflicting differences, they argue amongst themselves as to which is right.

what they don't realize is that they are BOTH right. that's why i am always saying "if it works for you, then keep doing it!".

Today's lesson is about how I as an instructor have a duty to show you "both sides of the coin" and for you to decide which you wish to pursue. It's one of the most difficult challenges as an instructor, to set aside my own personal preferences, my likes and my dislikes, and to show you from an unbiased position, so that YOU can make your own decisions along YOUR journey.

hopefully, after seeing this video, you understand that training on a "half beat" or "full beat" or "one and a half beat" is all up to you and they are all right as long as it works for YOU, but just because it works for you, doesn't mean that the same beat will work for someone else.

Jin

Last edited by a moderator:

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
SIMPLICITY
DIRECTNESS
ECONOMY OF MOVEMENT
MINIMUM USE OF BRUTE STRENGTH
PRACTICALITY

And train with an emphasis on SPEED , FORCE and REFLEX.
I don't really know much about beats I just try to adhere to the above principles as much as possible.

qwksilver61

Black Belt
Reaction score
being older...I like the split-second-delay advantage,the aggressor picks a target,aims, shoots......the defender watches the shoulders of the offender who has picked his target...and then dishes out the appropriate response.
While I agree that taking the initiative does have it's advantages,is this not a passive art? I don't really know,In the past it has worked for me either way.Most people tend to laugh at the pre-fighting posture when they first see it,until they engage....just yap,more two cents.....

Last edited:

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
While I agree that taking the initiative does have it's advantages,is this not a passive art?...

I wouldn't call it "passive"... maybe "responsive", since we constantly adapt and respond to the energy we receive. Passive just sounds to namby-pamby. And wheter your WC/VT/WT is "hard" or "soft", I still belive that the best defense is offense, and the most efficient technique is a good straight punch! Everything else is what you do if you can't pull that off. You know... if your punch meets superior force, then it bends into bong or tan-sau. It slips free and becomes a fak-sau... and so on. Anyway, there's my two cents to add to yours. Another penny and we've got a nickel!

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have to agree with Geezer I don't believe it is a passive art.
I was told a long time ago that it is an aggressive attacking art and all the deflection / redirection techniques are just to protect us as we are moving in to punching range to attack and also the use of hand trapping in the event we are obstructed .

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Lets say you do a right Back knuckle, kick, then follow up with a punch with the opposite hand. Each strike is assigned a beat. As you improve you can insert moves into this sequence or shorten the time between on or another strike. This is called using half beats or even quarter beats.
sean

JWLuiza

Black Belt
Reaction score
I've used those concepts (not well, but I've used em!), but never put it into a structured conceptual framework. Thanks so much for sharing.

Nabakatsu

Brown Belt
Reaction score
We train this way, we have the "as soon as he moves, rush in and kill" style, or half beat, the "circle step as he comes in and adapt to his timing" or full beat, and than the "oh ****, he came in now I have to shift or outfall" style, I prefer either the half beat, or the 1 and a half beat, the full beat.. is just so damn hard to perfect, but probably the most effective in terms of adding your enemies force to your own.

Latest Discussions