... guess I'll be on the ten year plan for this one...ahhh...no matter,
Eh, nothing wrong with that. For all we have is time. :asian:

As far as long 5, I dislike the form.

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Goldendragon7 said:
Ahhhhhhhh verrrrrrrrrrry interestttt ing...... I know what we are going to be going over nest visit!

%-} It's extremely hard on my right knee. That plus all of those little minor foot transitions and such RRRRRRRRRRR. It's the toughest form we have; well the toughest form I know, how's that. :jedi1:

Kenpo Mama

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
mj-hi-yah said:
Why thank you Donna! :asian:

Oh man guess I've been too busy picking daisies to take a close enough look. I'm sure you are right... guess I'll be on the ten year plan for this one...ahhh...no matter, 60 huh? better make that 20 :uhyeah:

How's long 5 treating ya?

MJ :)
The techs are really not all that difficult at least the 45-50 that i've seen toward the 60 of your requirements toward 2nd black. So i doubt very much that you'll spend 10 years working towards your 2nd - although like jfarnsworth says - all we have is time!!!!

Long 5 - at first just getting back in to "learning" forms & techs (instead of just prepping forms for the black belt test) was a drag! But after the first few techs, i started getting into it. I found the most difficult sequence for me was near the end (the circling the horizon portion) also figuring out which feet and hands moved in the mirrored side of leap of death and backbreaker portions. Once i got that - it was cool. I finished up that form with steve about 8 - 9 months ago. Not a real difficult one. It takes a while to make it really fluid though, and not look like you're thinking about what tech comes next.

Now two man set is a lot of fun and a fast learn (my instructor has been great with this), BUT - you need to practice it with another person (a lot) or you forget the targeting really easily! Practice, practice, practice!

I too am drawn to the daisies at times! So i'm happy to stay on my journey toward 2nd for a few years! No rush! I don't mind taking a while to let all the information soak in! Changing schools between 1st and 2nd has afforded me the opportunity to see different applications in the forms and techs. I've learned a lot in the past 4 months - both about myself and kenpo. I consider myself very lucky to have had this chance to "explore".

Pick me a daisy!

Donna :ultracool

Kenpo Mama

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
jfarnsworth said:
%-} It's extremely hard on my right knee. That plus all of those little minor foot transitions and such RRRRRRRRRRR. It's the toughest form we have; well the toughest form I know, how's that. :jedi1:
Hi Jason,

You're certainly right about the knee awareness in this form. I get a little twinge every now and then when practicing this. The transitions at first caused me a little angst, but once i separated the form and just worked on the transitions between sides and techs, this really helped me tremendously and i never had a problem with the transitions again. Keep working! This form is not one of my personal favs, but ya' gotta do it!

Donna :ultracool

Storm

Green Belt
Reaction score
We are meant to do 24 Blue Belt extentions plus all previous sets (Im assuming that means 1 and 2) All previous long forms and form five. That is what is written down on the syllabus, however I know from what the previous person did that there are other bits and pieces as well which you dont find out about until you get your invitation.

You also have to be able to instruct up to a certain level

I must admit I found form five way harder to learn than four.

The testing normally lasts over two days, it doesnt quite have physical requirements like 1st degree of having to do a run etc nor a thesis (I think).

One will only find out exactly what is required when invited I guess. Quite nice having alot of time on this syllabus no rush no pressure, just learning to relax into your B.Belt.

Plenty of time to stop and smell the roses on the way.

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Goldendragon7 said:
You heard me......!!!!!! :whip:

You're starting to scare me. :uhyeah: I know, I know, we'll start on short 1 again for another 2 hrs. and go from there, huh. :uhyeah:

Storm

Green Belt
Reaction score
Goldendragon7 said:
What do you mean by meant?

:idunno:

As in thats what I have written down on my syllabus however we are always told to be prepaired for anything.

Until I get that invitation in my hand I cant be totally sure as they might throw in something different from a previous syllabus etc.

I just dont want to take any chances and presume anything until I know 100%

D

Latest Discussions