2010 Olympics: Is it just me?

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
I happen to adore the Olympics. To me it is one of the things beautiful on this earth, uniting us, bringing the whole world together.

Yea, but the televised coverage of the Olympics has been epic fail for a long, long time now.

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Aha! So you do like the Olympics. :)

just maybe not winter ones.

The Summer Olympics are just people jumping in water and tumbling in a gym in the same way the Winter Olympics are just people sliding down a hill and twirling in a rink.

:)

Nomad

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Yea, but the televised coverage of the Olympics has been epic fail for a long, long time now.

Yes, NBC's coverage is pathetic. Most of the events shown with a big time delay, then chopped into pieces and interspersed with other sports, most often only showing a few competitors leaning heavily towards whichever Americans are competing. And broken up more by the huge number of commercials and "human interest" stories.

Please, just show us the competition! You're trying too hard on this one.

For the first time ever, I actually found the coverage from NBC's website was better than the TV coverage... most events you could watch live, and with fewer commercials.

OP
Steve

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
On the CTV website http://www.ctvolympics.ca/ you could have watched every event live.
In the past, the canadian channel we get here in Seattle has had much better coverage, but they didn't show it this year.

I've found that the online coverage is AWESOME. During the last summer olympics, I got to watch the entire judo event via live streaming. It was great. The internet rocks for this kind of stuff. I watched the last ADCC streamed live, as well. Very, very cool stuff.

Thanks for sharing the link. I'll keep that in mind next time.

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
On the CTV website http://www.ctvolympics.ca/ you could have watched every event live.

Yep. You can watch just about anything on the Internet.

The point is, I wanted to be able to sit on my couch and watch interesting events on TV — and know that others, around the nation, were also seeing a wide variety of world class athletes doing their thing.

Until something drastically changes, watching the Olympics will just be a fond memory from my childhood.

OP
Steve

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
You can't watch the internet on your tv? Wow.. that's so... 20th century. :D

teekin

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
You can get specailty channels for the Olympics that have huge event coverage. I have coverage of the Equestrian events on one channel as it is never covered on regualr TV, and it can be subscibed to on-line live. Same for Judo, gymnastics, diving, swimming..... you name it. Sans commercials.

Lori

Latest Discussions