2010 could be the year of Nick Diaz

Clark Kent

<B>News Bot</B>
Reaction score
12-26-2009 09:45 AM:

There's no one like Nick Diaz in mixed martial arts. If you were ranking fighters purely on well-roundedness, the 26-year-old Diaz is probably top five in the sport. But you also have to mix in results and his dedication to the sport. Sometimes Diaz is only dedicated to what rattles around in his crazy head. He's had multiple run-ins with the athletic commission in California and his failure to show for his tests in August probably cost him two fights to close 2009. The drama could just be delaying his rise into the top 10 pound-for-pound or maybe it's a sign of things to come for guy who may never reach his potential.

Remember the wrestler "Unpredictable" Johnny Rodz? That's Diaz. One second he was bitching about getting Marius Zaromskis instead of Hayato Sakurai. Diaz claims Sakurai was ducking meanwhile Diaz wasn't responsible enough to control his extra-curricular habits in order to make it to the cage anyway.

On the flip side, he made a lot of sense when talking about why he's winning now and couldn't put together a lengthy win streak in the UFC."I didn't understand the sport," Diaz said of fighting in his early 20's. "I was going in there trying to do more damage. These guys were going in there trying to win a certain way. I became a little more conscious of what not to do. Not get taken down. Something kind of clicked in there. I feel like that's gonna happened with anybody. It's experience."

When he flopped out of the August event Showtime's Ken Hershman sounded like he was just about done with Diaz. Well now he's the headliner on Strikeforce's Jan. 30 card in Sunrise,Fla. That's if he makes it the cage. He's back and Strikeforce CEOScott Coker had him sit down with the media during the Dec. 19postfight.

More...
Yahoo! Sports.
Cagewriter is an MMA blog edited by Steve Cofield.

Latest Discussions