2000 Posts!

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Seems like only yesterday that we were celebrating 500 posts.

Cthulhu

G

GouRonin

As much as some people do not like web based boards I think they can be kinda fun. This one is growing nicely and all of us have been doing our part to bring more people in and advertise it a bit.

The new influx of people has allowed more conversation and discussion to take place. Some differences in opinion and some agreement but over all it's a good place to share ideas and learn new things.

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Like I've said in previous threads, the openness of this board and the free exchange of information is fantastic. To me, it's like somebody took everything that was good from RMA and RMA-moderated, and used that to create this board. It's so refreshing to be in this sort of medium and not have to suffer through the various 'TKD sucks', or 'Kung fu vs. Karate', or 'BJJ rules' threads. Sure, we have our fits of silliness (mostly from Gou ;) ), but the vast majority of the posts on this board have actual substance.

:cheers: to Kaith, and everybody else who has helped make this board so successful. May we continue to grow!

Cthulhu

G

GouRonin

All my posts are serious I'll have you know...
:cuss:

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I got on a roll with pickin' on ya, and I can't seem to stop! :D

See? I told you I was evil!

Cthulhu

G

GouRonin

I have thick skin.

That and I'm drunk most of the time so I never notice.
:boing2::hammer:

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I gotta say a few things....

When I set this up, I wasn't sure how it would take off....I mean, theres RMA, and a hundred other boards....and this ones doing great. Im shocked, amazed, impressed, and most of all, grateful to everyone here for making it a great warm place to be.

To Renegade Tim Hartman, for being the 1st guy to sign up, to being our 1st Yellow belt (almost made a carrer outa it too) :) to giving me the guidence to get things set up the 'right' way, and most of all, for promoting the hell outta the board. Without Tim, there would be no Martialtalk. He's been 1 of our biggest cheerleaders (though Im sure you all agree, the idea of him in a cheerleading outfit is just wrong) :D

To Gou - for buggin the hell outta RMA to hop over n see the magic, to posting his **** off and being a great comic relief. He's pulled more than 1 post outta the dumpster..and put a few in there too. He's out first Black Belt user, and that comes from more than a big mouth and the ability to push "post". He's a great guy and again, We wouldn't be here with out ya dude!

To Cthulhu - The guy who's kept things going smooth while I do the cyclops thing. He's prob. the next MT BB, and its well deserved. Anyone can post a me too, but his posts have got a depth that makes ya think (except when he's needlin Gou) :), and ability to pop into almost any forum and follow the conversation makes him 1 hell of a Mod.

To Everyone else here - Without all of you, this site would just be a monthly bill and an empty shell of a forum. You all made it a warm place to be, without the flamewars and spam that run rampant on RMA and some of the other boards. We've past 100 members, and 2000 Posts...Next benchmark is 500 Users, and 10,000 posts. Do we hit it by NewYears? Maybe.

All I can say to everyone, is Thank you. I raise a glass to you all.
:cheers:

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Kaith Rustaz
To Renegade Tim Hartman, for being the 1st guy to sign up, to being our 1st Yellow belt (almost made a carrer outa it too) :) to giving me the guidence to get things set up the 'right' way, and most of all, for promoting the hell outta the board. Without Tim, there would be no Martialtalk. He's been 1 of our biggest cheerleaders (though Im sure you all agree, the idea of him in a cheerleading outfit is just wrong)

I'll forego comment on that last. I came because Mr. Hartman suggested it, and I must say that there is a high signal-to-noise ratio and it makes it worth my time to read MartialTalk. I do like the USENET newsgroups and as a rule I don't like webgroups but the software used here makes it convenient to read them. (I do miss the superior trheading of a threaded newsreader, however, for its ability to distinguish subthreads of the main thread.) I've learned some things both in terms of news (mostly Modern Arnis) and the martial arts.

Congratulations Kaith, and continued good luck.

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thank you. I've considered adding ni the mod that allows for USENET access, but its still a little flaky. I know what you mean about the threading option...I miss some of the features newsreaders like Agent have when surfing webboards, but give the developers time. I'm sure someone will hack up a mod to allow for it sooner or later. :)

1 of the things that is great about the software we use, is we do have a nice amount of flex to do things, and keep out the real trouble makers. I think it helps keep things friendly. :)

The other part is, we're starting to get such a diverse mix of folks here, that the knowledge base is always getting better. I've learned more about various arts histories, news, etc in the few months we've been up, than in several years of reading and surfing.

:asian:

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Kaith Rustaz
I know what you mean about the threading option...I miss some of the features newsreaders like Agent have when surfing webboards, but give the developers time.

Yes, Agent is what I use and I miss some of its options as well. The "last unread post" in this system doesn't work so well for me for example. But as you say I'm sure the developers of this software will improve it in future versions.

The USENET groups are great but as you point out this system gives you more control while not being as imposing as a moderated group (which often turns people off--knowing that someone must read and approve of their post before it can appear). Keeping the friendliness and respect is important. Given the number of troublemakers of all sorts on USENET I truly believe that webgroups and heavily protected newsgroups (such as the internal groups of an ISP) are the way things will go in the future. When mailing lists are more easily integrated into a newsreader-style format that may be a nicer option too. I'm way behind in reading the Eskrima Digest, in large part because of the inconvenient formatting of it.

The other part is, we're starting to get such a diverse mix of folks here, that the knowledge base is always getting better. I've learned more about various arts histories, news, etc in the few months we've been up, than in several years of reading and surfing.

You're reading the wrong things! There are some great martial arts books out there (is there a thread on this somewhere in here yet?) and many useful web sites. However, I agree with the general sentiment that there is already a good and well-shared knowledge base here and that as the group of users grows, so much the better. (This may require that people here stop making fun of Tae Kwon Do so its practitioners feel welcome as well.) It's been very nice to have representatives of several of the Modern Arnis splinter groups (I regret the pejorative sound of this term, but it seems apropos) posting here--news directly from the horse's mouth.

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
"The "last unread post" in this system doesn't work so well for me for example. But as you say I'm sure the developers of this software will improve it in future versions. "

Theres a new version out, I just haven't had a change to install it yet. Soon as my eyes heal a bit more, I'll tackle it.

"moderated group "
We could do this...but its labor intensive on us, and slows things down. I like that sometimes the threads are updates almost in real time when we have a group here. To impliment the mod-review, would hurt us, I think. Plus, so far, we haven't really needed major moderation. I think its because we have a good quality group here. :asian:

"You're reading the wrong things! "

I think the problem I've had wasn't so much the wrong things, as being able to understand it right. I've got about 6 books on various sword techniques and disciplines...none made sence until 1 instructor took 20 minutes and gave me the bits of info I needed to make sence of what I was reading. :) (Thanks Tim!)

"There are some great martial arts books out there (is there a thread on this somewhere in here yet?) and many useful web sites. "

I think there was 1 started, but it slowed down....we should restart it, and keep it current, maybe. :)

"(This may require that people here stop making fun of Tae Kwon Do so its practitioners feel welcome as well.) "

I wasn't aware it was too hostile...I'll have to reread those posts. Given the popularity of TKD, we should kick that forum upto speed. Ideas on how?

"...Modern Arnis splinter groups..."

When a system goes through the kind of change they are, it fits I think. each group will fill the niches that the others dont, and the art will survive, and hopefully continue to grow. :) and of course, all of the groups are welcome here.

Latest Discussions