2 years of hard training to get yellow belt, my grandson gets belt in 6 weeks?

OP
B

Bruce7

Black Belt
Reaction score
You can do as many reps before, or after class as you want, and I suppose, incorporate some of those old moves into your game.

I do practice at home, I think the work I do at home helps as much , maybe more than class.

The good thing about class is when you get tired your pride keeps you going.
l practicing alone it is harder to push yourself.

Another problem in my mind I keep thinking we would do better if we would not go so fast.
Example: Half the upper belts side kicks be could better, I believe the reason for this is they move to quickly to hook kicks and other kicks.
Their is not enough muscle memory of the side kick, so you get something in between.

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
Belts are useful to measure progress I guess, but if they aren't directly tied to a measurable degree of competence (as is often the case),theyre no more than a way to keep your gi closed.

That begs the question of course, WHAT is being measured. Are you a bb because you know more archaic asian dance numbers, and can break some particle boards...

Or because you can fight against another human being at a higher level than someone that is not?(at least, within the confines of your system)

And if your system leaves this aspect out entirely?

Might as well just go get a belt at sears or kmart.

OP
B

Bruce7

Black Belt
Reaction score
Last night we work on hand technique. It was a little odd to me, still good practice. The snap punch was not the way I was taught, for one thing the teacher turn her hand like a reverse punch. Back fist and ridge hand were not taught, but hooks and upper cuts were. I did a ridge hand and she show the class how to position your hand and said we cold do it if we want. One the best black belt who is 18 look like Joe Lewis doing a ridge hand. None of the others tried.

I was not taught hooks and upper cuts in taekwondo, maybe that was a black belt thing.
I learn punches similar to hooks and uppercuts in long fist.
Since you can't use back fist and ridge hands in tournaments, they are not taught much?

OP
B

Bruce7

Black Belt
Reaction score
Does your dojo do WT competitions? A school that does may change its priorities in what they teach
They talk about tournaments. Most of the schools students are 6 to 15 years old.
My class is 16+, mostly young people with a few students in the 40+ age group.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Last night we work on hand technique. It was a little odd to me, still good practice. The snap punch was not the way I was taught, for one thing the teacher turn her hand like a reverse punch. Back fist and ridge hand were not taught, but hooks and upper cuts were. I did a ridge hand and she show the class how to position your hand and said we cold do it if we want. One the best black belt who is 18 look like Joe Lewis doing a ridge hand. None of the others tried.

I was not taught hooks and upper cuts in taekwondo, maybe that was a black belt thing.
I learn punches similar to hooks and uppercuts in long fist.
Since you can't use back fist and ridge hands in tournaments, they are not taught much?

I competed in a lot of tournaments, well over a hundred, there were always backfists and ridge hands allowed. Wasn't TKD, though.

Man, I used to love backfists.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does your dojo do WT competitions? A school that does may change its priorities in what they teach

We spar regularly. We're not particularly sport-oriented, but do attend the occasional tourney. Some of them follow WT rules, but they are more typically 'open' events with a much more sensible rule set.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I competed in a lot of tournaments, well over a hundred, there were always backfists and ridge hands allowed. Wasn't TKD, though.

Man, I used to love backfists.
I actually learned the backfist very specifically as a point sparring technique. Well, I learned two backfists. One that takes advantage of spinning momentum to deal a bit of power. The other that extends reach/gets in a shot from an unexpected angle and more distance than someone would expect. I was taught to only use that second one if I decided to do point-sparring, since it would be too risky in an actual fight.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I actually learned the backfist very specifically as a point sparring technique. Well, I learned two backfists. One that takes advantage of spinning momentum to deal a bit of power. The other that extends reach/gets in a shot from an unexpected angle and more distance than someone would expect. I was taught to only use that second one if I decided to do point-sparring, since it would be too risky in an actual fight.

I sometime used backfists like jabs, especially when I had already been using jabs - as the timing on a backfist is usually quicker. (Not supposed to do that if you're boxing so you need to disguise it). In Martial fighting I sometimes used backfists to interfere with an opponent's vision for that split second when the latter part of a combo is aimed somewhere lower. Works really well, especially if a kick follows two hand techniques, the first hand technique being the backfist.

I don't care for spinning backfists, unless I'm trying to cold cock-cock somebody, they're fairly easy to hit with with continued practice but they're very difficult to control.

OP
B

Bruce7

Black Belt
Reaction score
Just got out of class, I am a little angry. The teachers who teach the classes are good, expect this 18 year old 4th degree black belt. She started in the school at age 6. She is a very poor teacher and her skill are not that great. She has an attitude that is not good either.
The times I have been in her class, I have treated her with respect even though I thought her teaching method were not good.

The other instructors let me help the white and yellow belts I train with. They also let me train with upper level belts when we do tactical one steps. She does not like me helping the white and yellow belts and never lets me train with upper level students.
I don't think she likes that I know so much.
I guess I should not take it personal, she does not treat lower level black belts that well also.

Today she got in my face.
In stood of learning 18 forms like I did in earlier MA, Tiger Rock teaches one form that you expand as you progress in belts.
I know the entire form, but they don't want me to go past the yellow belt portion, I have no problem with that.
We just finished the yellow belt portion. and she was busy with higher belts, so I did the form backwards for practice. She came over got in my face and said I could not move after finishing the form. I smiled and did what she said, It is very hard not thinking of ways to show her up the rest of class, it wrong to think like that, but she really irritated me.

I realize she been at the school for 12 years, but her skills are not that great.
The question is how many hours did she train in those 12 years?
If they are short on teachers, their is a humble 18 year old boy in class with exception skills, that would make a fine teacher.
I think before you make someone a 4th degree black belt, they should be able to teach. Master means teacher right.
Schools I train at she would be a red belt, at most a first degree black belt

I have train under very hard teaches, but they never got in my face or raised their voice. They might hit me ,but never got in my face.

mrt2

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Just got out of class, I am a little angry. The teachers who teach the classes are good, expect this 18 year old 4th degree black belt. She started in the school at age 6. She is a very poor teacher and her skill are not that great. She has an attitude that is not good either.
The times I have been in her class, I have treated her with respect even though I thought her teaching method were not good.

The other instructors let me help the white and yellow belts I train with. They also let me train with upper level belts when we do tactical one steps. She does not like me helping the white and yellow belts and never lets me train with upper level students.
I guess I should not take it personal, she does not treat lower level black belts that well also.

In stood of learning 18 forms like I did in earlier MA, Tiger Rock teaches one form that you expand as you progress in belts.
I know the entire form, but they don't want me to go past the yellow belt portion, I have no problem with that.
We just finished the yellow belt portion. and she was busy with higher belts, so I did the form backwards for practice. She came over got in my face and said I could not move after finishing the form. I smiled and did what she said, It is very hard not thinking of ways to show her up the rest of class, it wrong to think like that, but she really irritated me.

I realize she been at the school for 12 years, but her skills are not that great.
If they are short on teachers, their is a humble 18 year old boy in class with exception skills, that would make a fine teacher.
I think before you make someone a 4th degree black belt, they should be able to teach. Master means teacher right.

I have train under very hard teaches, but they never got in my face or raised their voice. They might hit me ,but never got in my face.
If an 18 year old assistant instructor treated me that way, I would take it up with the head instructor.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

I'm seconding that I would talk to the head instructor about that. I'm not learning from someone that I can't respect.

It also amazes me that someone can be a 4th degree black belt at 18.

mrt2

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I'm seconding that I would talk to the head instructor about that. I'm not learning from someone that I can't respect.

It also amazes me that someone can be a 4th degree black belt at 18.
That is a bit of a red flag. At my school, we have plenty of younger 1st Dans, and a smaller number of teenage 2nd Dans, but no teenage 3rd or 4th Dans. I believe the minimum age for 2nd Dan at my school is 15, and the minimum age for 3rd Dan is 18.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
As is said often, rank is irrelevant except in the school that issued it. Trying to compare age/rank in one system to another is silly.
If it's a KKW school, an 18 year old 4th Dan is entirely possible. I don't think it's all that common, but possible.
In our system, that would equate to a 1st Dan.

Maybe it's time to empty your cup.

OP
B

Bruce7

Black Belt
Reaction score
As is said often, rank is irrelevant except in the school that issued it. Trying to compare age/rank in one system to another is silly.
If it's a KKW school, an 18 year old 4th Dan is entirely possible. I don't think it's all that common, but possible.
In our system, that would equate to a 1st Dan.

Maybe it's time to empty your cup.

I think you are right my cup is to full. I probably think I know more than I do.
I studied MA for 12 years , 8 years of which was from extraordinary teachers.

I never disagree with teachers or students in the school I am in,
but I probably don't put their options in my cup, so yes my cup is probably to full.

Outside of this one teacher, the classes are very enjoyably.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score

This is why for the most part you don’t promote teenagers to higher ranks and give them positions of authority. They’re not mature enough to appropriately handle certain situations.

And just because someone’s been training for 12 years doesn’t mean they’ve got a meaningful 12 years of experience. How in-depth was that training from 6-10 years old? From 10-14? Not very deep IMO. That’s not a shot at kids at all, btw. Kids shouldn’t train as adults.

Sure there’s 18 year olds out there who are worthy of a higher rank. Sure there’s 18 year olds who are more than capable of handling difficult situations appropriately. But they’re the exception, not the rule.

Yes, every organization has different standards. But that doesn’t mean you have kids on a power trip teaching adults. Or even kids.

And sure, adults twice her age are also capable of being the same way.

Jaeimseu

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score

I’m not sure what “getting in your face” entails, but I’d consider it pretty common in a tkd school to expect students to freeze in their final position when practicing forms until the instructor brings them back to the starting position. If the instructor brings the student to the ready position and gives the command to begin, the student waits until the command is given to move once the final move (that the student knows) is reached. That has been the common practice in every tkd school I can recall being in over the past 26 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
B

Bruce7

Black Belt
Reaction score
I’m not sure what “getting in your face” entails, but I’d consider it pretty common in a tkd school to expect students to freeze in their final position when practicing forms until the instructor brings them back to the starting position. If the instructor brings the student to the ready position and gives the command to begin, the student waits until the command is given to move once the final move (that the student knows) is reached. That has been the common practice in every tkd school I can recall being in over the past 26 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Please reread on a computer.
I do not think you understood the post.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I think the question is how long you stay in that stance before the instructor comes back. If its under a minute, it makes sense to hold the stance to be evaluated and continue. But if the instructor was spending time with the other ranks, it's a lot more helpful to go through the form (or what you know of it) multiple times, rather than just waiting there. I think @Jaeimseu you're thinking of a situation where everyone goes through the form together, the yellow belts stop at point A, the orange belts at point B, etc., and once the form is finished everyone starts over, but that's not how I read the post.
Either way, like you said, it depends on what 'get in your face' means. If it's that she walked over to him and told him something like "in the future stay at X spot until everyone is done with the form", that's perfectly fine. If it's that she invaded personal space and yelled/demeaned him in front of the class for going backwards, that's an issue.

Latest Discussions