2 new TKD forms from the Kukkiwon

turtle

Orange Belt
Reaction score
So has anyone heard anything else about these forms? Are the actually being implemented on some level or did we all just get worked up over nothing?

Last I heard they were in sort of study period where feedback was being gathered (not sure from whom) and the forms refined. If I remember correctly, it was going to be a some time, maybe a year or more, before the forms would be implemented. Sorry, wish I could find the article I'm thinking of but a search isn't turning up anything. If I find it, I'll post more specifically.

Laurentkd

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Last I heard they were in sort of study period where feedback was being gathered (not sure from whom) and the forms refined. If I remember correctly, it was going to be a some time, maybe a year or more, before the forms would be implemented. Sorry, wish I could find the article I'm thinking of but a search isn't turning up anything. If I find it, I'll post more specifically.

Thanks Turtle, that would be great!

turtle

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Found the article this morning - it was in the last edition of Taekwondo People. At the end of the article about the debut of the new poomse it says they'll be introduced and spread internationally over the next 2-3 years before officially being used for competition.

MSKBBSLINKARD

White Belt
Reaction score
That first one looks like pretty long. Where did you come across this information and for what ranks are these new forms supposed to be taught to?

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The first form:
way to long, needs to be broken in half.
Too many "sport only" elements
great kicking, but see above
prob a 2nd Dan level form, maybe 3rd or 4th

Second form:
I liked this one a lot better, and I could see the SD applications more readily.
looked very balanced, nice kicking combinations
Looked like a red belt level form

SageGhost83

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Going back over it, I see what Exile is saying - is there an underlying "combat logic" to it, or is it just there because it looks good and it will score more points in competition? You can't just throw a bunch of techs together and call it a form - there has to be a specific combat purpose behind the tech. What is the principle that it is expressing? What part of "the fight" is it addressing? Does it have depth, or is it a shallow movement that is there just for the sake of being there? An "empty" form is not very useful.

britcanbulldogtkd

White Belt
Reaction score
I am very interested in what is for use of a better term a split between the traditional forms and what ppl have said is a form to attract the sparring element and to demonstrate what i would call an olympic promotion. I want to take it beyond the idea of new forms.
The sport side of TKD as always been there I remember years and years ago when the only hogul you could get was made by a company called bear and were nicknamed "bear pads" well that what i think i remember.
The IOC making taekwondo a featured sport as part of the games is dictating the changes within the political bodies and there is a general determination to make TKD more exciting to the general population
To those who have watched the sport grow into what it is today will know that the point system as changed "1st blood" no longer ends a fight. etc etc
When we go to the regional fights and see the beginners compete its all legs fists flying. Only 10% of these actually land and make contact and its all pretty "gung ho" because the fighters are flooded with adrenalin and nerves. Then we see the black belt fighters (poetry in motion) the shots are picked and its not just a physical battle but also a mental one. Almost like a game of chess or another stratigic game. Why so stratigic? Because by now TKD is not only physical but also mental, Now for me or anyother true martial artist this battle of physical and mental harmony should be great to watch and even better to judge or referee. But to the likes of the IOC or Major sponsors of equipment or sports networks who pay big money. "It aint that attractive to the mighty dollar." so to speak I love the sport side of taekwondo as well as the traditional side of it and in a perfect world both would work side by side but there is a huge investment into the sport side of it and that brings in good money to the WTF/KKW. So if lets say the IOC threaten to remove it from the games cos its not attractive to the masses or some tv sports channel says no more coverage cos its not getting the figures. What would you do ? say "thats ok pull the plug" or would but look at a better way of marketing it

Again its long winded but i value everybody opinion on this

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
According to these youtube posts, this form is for "Youth" (40 years old & younger)

And this for "masters"

Too bad that doesn't clear up anything. I love the fact that I'm still a youth, tho:boing1:

Last edited by a moderator:

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well it's been more than a year since these poomsae were introduced. There hasn't been any buzz or even talk about them that I've heard. They weren't talked about (nevermind performed) at the Hanmadang 2008 in Anaheim, CA this year.

Has anyone heard anything about them, beyond these videos?

I hope they are forgotten idea for the KKW.

YoungMan

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Please realize, as I've mentioned before forms incorporate many more elements than simply what works for self defense. And self defense is much more than just knowing where to hit and with what technique.
Having said that, I think the new KKW forms are a good start to showcasing all the elements of modern Taekwondo. I agree that one of the forms incorporates too many sport-like techniques. But it is a start.

Master Dan

Master Black Belt
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone care to comment if these have been done in the US or on any new forms performed at WTF sanctioned PoomSe events?

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Sure they've been performed. Our senior student did Hanryu at a demo of ours last year.
But I don't know if they're really officially real or if they've fallen into some kukkilimbo. I suspect the later.

Master Dan

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Sure they've been performed. Our senior student did Hanryu at a demo of ours last year.
But I don't know if they're really officially real or if they've fallen into some kukkilimbo. I suspect the later.

Well I have an exceptional 14 year old Poom belt and I don't want him getting bored or to far ahead on the forms he has a hard time slowing down so the first longer form of the two examples on the youtube will please him but also challenge him physically and mentally. We have some good open tournaments on the West coast and Hanmadang so this will give hime something to work on besides all the other standard stuff.

When you say senior student what age and rank? Also HanRyu is that what your calling first or second form demonstrated.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well I have an exceptional 14 year old Poom belt and I don't want him getting bored or to far ahead on the forms he has a hard time slowing down so the first longer form of the two examples on the youtube will please him but also challenge him physically and mentally. We have some good open tournaments on the West coast and Hanmadang so this will give hime something to work on besides all the other standard stuff.

When you say senior student what age and rank? Also HanRyu is that what your calling first or second form demonstrated.

If you want to teach him forms as a way to keep him from being bored, there are PLENTY of options. Teach him the Palgwes, the Chang Hon, the Pinan... There's a whole WORLD of options outside the Kukkiwon.

Hanru was performed by a 40+ year old 4th Dan. As I understand it, Hanru was intended for those over 40, and Baegak for those under.

miguksaram

Master of Arts
Reaction score
We have some good open tournaments on the West coast and Hanmadang so this will give hime something to work on besides all the other standard stuff.
If you have open touraments (AKA Sport Karate tournaments) why not have him make up a form for the creative division. This will also serve him if he decides to compete at the Hanmadang as well. Better yet have him put some music to it. FYI...for the Hanmadang the form can be no longer than 90 seconds. Good luck to him.

Master Dan

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
If you want to teach him forms as a way to keep him from being bored, there are PLENTY of options. Teach him the Palgwes, the Chang Hon, the Pinan... There's a whole WORLD of options outside the Kukkiwon.

Hanru was performed by a 40+ year old 4th Dan. As I understand it, Hanru was intended for those over 40, and Baegak for those under.

We still require Palgwes always have for the last 40 years and your right about the Chang Hon and Pinan but I do like the Baegak for him. Thanks for the reply

Master Dan

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
If you have open touraments (AKA Sport Karate tournaments) why not have him make up a form for the creative division. This will also serve him if he decides to compete at the Hanmadang as well. Better yet have him put some music to it. FYI...for the Hanmadang the form can be no longer than 90 seconds. Good luck to him.
the open tournaments I speak of are both TKD and all styles. We are working on developing a Hanmadang form but with a very famous native group for music featuring Eskimo dancing like prayer on the Ocean frozen of course that will incorporate Eskimo dance movements that have a MA/hunter subsitance history with druming and traditional all white Eskimo hunter tops.

Gwai Lo Dan

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
the open tournaments I speak of are both TKD and all styles. We are working on developing a Hanmadang form but with a very famous native group for music featuring Eskimo dancing like prayer on the Ocean frozen of course that will incorporate Eskimo dance movements that have a MA/hunter subsitance history with druming and traditional all white Eskimo hunter tops.
On a cultural note, it is interesting to see an American use the term "Eskimo". In Canada, it's now "Inuit". It's similar to Americans not saying "Negro" but "African American".

Master Dan

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
On a cultural note, it is interesting to see an American use the term "Eskimo". In Canada, it's now "Inuit". It's similar to Americans not saying "Negro" but "African American".

On a cultural note your wrong. Which of the many tribe names would you use for here do you know them? King Island, Siberian Yupik or these below? Here Eskimo and according to thier own publications means The Original People or The Real People not Negro!!

My daughter is Eskimo half Inupiaq we and all her realitives use Eskimo all the time and do not consider her or our realative Negro? On a cultural note even language changes about every 300 miles do to indidual pride in thier village and Main Landers have had wars and continue some rivalry with Islanders. On another cultural note this area happen to have great respect for Doxivock (black people) more than white people.

Ahtna tribe
dot.gif
The Aleut tribe
dot.gif
The Aluutiq/Yupik tribe
dot.gif
The Eyak tribe
dot.gif
The Gwich'in tribe
dot.gif
The Haida tribe
dot.gif