2 more months can't hurt...right?

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm testing today!

The other two who were injured are planning to go in October. It all looks to be going good for now!
Ohh that's awesome skribs, the wait would have been worth it. Best of luck, give it your all!!!

Let us know how it all went!

OP
skribs

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Best of luck! What belt?

3rd Dan.

And I passed!
IMAG0336.jpg
20180809_211200_1533876402162.jpeg

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ah a massive congratulations to you mate, that's bloody awesome, well done!!! A massive grading!

*Deep bow*

Ps. Yep, collapsing is understandable!

Pps. Cool dojang bro!

OP
skribs

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
During the test I did 3-on-1 sparring (my favorite thing to do in TKD), and one of the girls I was sparring accidentally kneed me in the thigh (we were both going for a kick, it happens). It hurt a bit at the time, but not bad. I kept going, finished the test. A few hours later I was on my parents couch watching the Seahawks first preseason game. I stood up and almost fell down my leg hurt so bad. I never saw the bruise, but the next day I could barely walk. It healed out over the weekend.

I also went in with my left hand in a lot of pain. I've just got chronic tendinitis that shows up in the top of my left wrist or left hand from time to time (has for the last 10 years or so) and this was one of those times. The nunchaku portion of the test SUCKED, because I had to do both hands. I kept dropping it with my left hand whenever I was supposed to transition my grip, but they gave me grace because I didn't complain and just redid it until I got it. I also got kicked in the hand in 1-on-1 sparring. One of the judges yelled at me to keep my right foot forward and I didn't get kicked in the hand again.

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
During the test I did 3-on-1 sparring (my favorite thing to do in TKD), and one of the girls I was sparring accidentally kneed me in the thigh (we were both going for a kick, it happens). It hurt a bit at the time, but not bad. I kept going, finished the test. A few hours later I was on my parents couch watching the Seahawks first preseason game. I stood up and almost fell down my leg hurt so bad. I never saw the bruise, but the next day I could barely walk. It healed out over the weekend.

I also went in with my left hand in a lot of pain. I've just got chronic tendinitis that shows up in the top of my left wrist or left hand from time to time (has for the last 10 years or so) and this was one of those times. The nunchaku portion of the test SUCKED, because I had to do both hands. I kept dropping it with my left hand whenever I was supposed to transition my grip, but they gave me grace because I didn't complain and just redid it until I got it. I also got kicked in the hand in 1-on-1 sparring. One of the judges yelled at me to keep my right foot forward and I didn't get kicked in the hand again.
Sounds like a challenging test for ya mate. Ah I get that in my left wrist too, never been able to sort it out.. but been working on wrist flexibility/mobility and strength in the fully extended position.

Well done bro :)

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I can relate to the tendinitis. I have some in my left elbow that has stopped me from doing any consistent strength training. It gets feeling fine, no pain, then I work out and it hurts for a week or two.

OP
skribs

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Sounds like a challenging test for ya mate. Ah I get that in my left wrist too, never been able to sort it out.. but been working on wrist flexibility/mobility and strength in the fully extended position.

Well done bro :)

I've noticed a lot less pain in hapkido since I started taking guitar and bass lessons.

I can relate to the tendinitis. I have some in my left elbow that has stopped me from doing any consistent strength training. It gets feeling fine, no pain, then I work out and it hurts for a week or two.

Yep. This was part of why I started TKD. I was getting fat, so I decided to go to the gym. I found lots of excuses to not go to the gym because of little ailments, and so I stayed fat. Then I started TKD.

I'm still fat, but at least I'm not getting fatter.

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
I've noticed a lot less pain in hapkido since I started taking guitar and bass lessons.

Ah that's awesome, have been learning guitar but haven't picked it up in a bit, will have to get strummin'!

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ah that's awesome, have been learning guitar but haven't picked it up in a bit, will have to get strummin'!
I’ve been learning guitar for about 20 years. I have learned 5 chords and a fingerstyle pattern. Give me another century or so, and I’ll actually be able to play.

OP
skribs

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I’ve been learning guitar for about 20 years. I have learned 5 chords and a fingerstyle pattern. Give me another century or so, and I’ll actually be able to play.

I played one chord and my instructor said "congratulations, you can now play guitar. Now you get to spend the rest of your life getting better at it."

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I played one chord and my instructor said "congratulations, you can now play guitar. Now you get to spend the rest of your life getting better at it."
Then I'm quite accomplished!

When I dropped my guitar off to be re set-up (the neck needed adjustment), the guy gave it back after it was done.
Rep: "It'll sound beautiful now."
Me: "Not when I play it, it won't."
Rep: "Well, there's only so much we can do."
:(

OP
skribs

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Then I'm quite accomplished!

When I dropped my guitar off to be re set-up (the neck needed adjustment), the guy gave it back after it was done.
Rep: "It'll sound beautiful now."
Me: "Not when I play it, it won't."
Rep: "Well, there's only so much we can do."
:(

I've figured out the best way to make my guitar sound good. "Hey, Mr. Instructor, want to try my guitar?"

now disabled

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Congrats my friend

Welcome to the sandan (or whatever that is in Korean lol) keep it going

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
Welcome to the sandan (or whatever that is in Korean lol)

San is just '3' in Japanese, right?

I don't know which is considered normal usage - I've seen many so it might depend solely on who translated, but it could be sam, set, jesam, setjae, or something else depending on whether you're using native or sino Korean and if you assign cardinal or ordinal numbers...

Not that it's complex or anything ;)

Latest Discussions