2 more months can't hurt...right?

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
Your not 70 are you, so you want to start another discussion on a40 odd year old can out perform teenagers.

That's still leave s the question of out perform them at what exactly, an older teenager who trains will out do you at most things , arguing that you can beat an unspecified teenager at unspecified things is silLy, I can beat most of them at pool, I can't catch them in a 50 yard cash playing 5 aside

If your insisting on average teen ager, you need to compare them with an average 70 yo

No, the original 'comparison' was that there are some people in their 60s and 70s who can outperform the average teenager.

To start on with a load of bollocks about 70 year old olympians and having to compare average with average is utterly in your own head.

You simply can't argue that something isn't true by changing the original premise and then using that as your example - unless of course you're supported by scope...

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes they are, but as you rightly say, they are so unusual that single examples stay with you, the issue is people are taking care genetic abnormalities and trying to build a case that it's possible for every 70 year old to out perform 19 year olds.

I'm the Fittest 59 year old I know, and I get fitter with every year that passes, only because at 55 I was in Terrible shape, you can't hold me up to show that all 59 year olds should be able to do 5 min mile

Though I admit I enjoy out pacing 30 Yo, joggers in all the expensive gear, in jeans a pair of combat boots and with a cig, in my moulth
But nobody said anything about ALL 70-somethings - just that there are some out there who are fitter than a lot of younger people. You'll probably be one of those examples one day.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
My father-in-law is 82 years old and still goes to the woods cutting timber everyday. He has Popeye arms and hands that I never want to be hit by. It sounds like you are speaking from the ignorance of youth but, yes, the 70 year old can out perform some but not all youth.
This is what he said
That 70yo( as there is no qualification he seems to mean all 70 yo) can out perform some, but not all teenagers.

Now clearly they maybe be able to out perform teenagers who have a handicap of some sort, but the number of 70 yo who can catch a ( healthy) teenager in say a foot race is so miniscule as to be near non existant.

Invoking rate genetic abnormalities doesn't prove the rule

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
Anyone who says they are as good at 40 as they were at 20 wasn't very good at 20.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone who says they are as good at 40 as they were at 20 wasn't very good at 20.
Agreed. I'm not as fit (though probably as strong) as at 20 (28 years ago), but much better MA skills. My MA skills at 20 were pretty thin. Compare my fitness and strength now to me at 30, and there's no comparison - I was both stronger and more fit then, by a significant margin. I let things go for a bit in my early 40's, and am slowly clawing my way back.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I was pretty good at 20. My 41 year old self would throw a beating on my 20 year old self.

I’m smarter, I hit harder, and I take a punch better. I’m just not as flashy and athletic. And I don’t recover like I used to. 20 year old JR would try to overwhelm 41 year old JR. 41 year old JR would let him come and give 21 year old JR a few well timed shots to a few good targets. 20 year old JR would be buckled over or on the ground wondering what went wrong.

I’m far better today than I was 21 years ago. I could certainly hold my own back then, but I was a bit over confident. There’s something to be said for growing up and seeing things from the point of view of a guy who’s been hit more often and harder. Then again, saying what I said above makes me question if I’m still over confident :)

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think the best I could say is my 43 year old self would surprise my 20 year old self! I don't think I'd win, but with the extra experience, the having "been there, seen that" I'd have been able to seemingly react quickly, even with my age-related lower reaction speed.

I sometimes spar with my 15 year old son, and surprise him when I do (and he often debates whether he'd be better than 21 year old me - given our similarity in grade/experience at those relative ages).

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

I think that would depend. My techniques aren't as pretty as they were when I was 20. But they're effective, and since I've had a few decades more practice at applying them, I would even say they're more effective than when I was 20. But I won a lot more tournies when I was 20. And without a doubt, my understanding of those techniques (and their underlying principles) and my ability to teach them is much, much better.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score

Well you always have to account for the "Age and treachery (experience) trumps youth and skill" but... no one defeats the opponent of "time".

OP
skribs

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
To be clear "I must be getting old" was referring to my body falling apart with no explanation as to how I got injured.

I turn 30 tomorrow.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well you always have to account for the "Age and treachery (experience) trumps youth and skill" but... no one defeats the opponent of "time".
40 isn't really old enough for time to be a major factor, unless one is an experienced and skilled athlete at 20, and we're talking about a highly demanding sport. At elite levels that becomes more true than at "normal guy" levels. Most of us can be nearly as fit and fast at 40 as at 20, and with a lot more experience we'd be much better. Add another 20 years, and my statement changes.

Balrog

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Take the time to heal. You have the rest of your life to do this, don't screw it up by rushing to meet an arbitrary deadline.

OP
skribs

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Take the time to heal. You have the rest of your life to do this, don't screw it up by rushing to meet an arbitrary deadline.

I actually was planning to test in December. I moved up my test to June because my Mom was testing for 1st degree and my Dad for 2nd degree. We were supposed to test together for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd.

Oh well. I will maybe test in August, but might end up waiting until December (our school does Keub and Gup tests every 2 months, but usually does Dan tests only twice a year). Depends on how I feel over the next month or so.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Ok point me out some Olympic medal winners who were 70 when they won their medal,

Sweedish Shooter Oscar Swahn, silver medalist at the age of 72. The only medalist in their seventies that I know of. Pretty cool accomplishment.

As for twenty year olds....they're puppies. Not very informed puppies at that. No offense meant, honest, just saying.

OP
skribs

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm testing today!

The other two who were injured are planning to go in October. It all looks to be going good for now!