2 day Gunting Seminar with Master Bram Frank

D

DoctorB

I would like to report that Master Bram Frank, will be conducting a 2 day seminar on the Gunting Knife, Saturday and Sunday, September 28 & 29, 2002, in Lockport NY, 30 miles north of Buffalo, at the International Schools of Self Defense.

The price for the camp will be $235 and it includes a red handle Spyderco Training Drone. If you already own or have access to a training drone the seminar cost is reduced to $110 for the instruction.

You will need the training drone in order to maximize your training opportunities at this seminar. Please write me for details about obtaining the Training Drone since an advance deposit of $100 will be necessary.

We WILL NOT ALLOW anyone to workkout with a live blade of any type or make.

Group rates are availible upon request and you should contact me at: [email protected]

Groups are defined for this seminar as consisting of 3 or more people.

Jerome Barber, Ed.D.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Dr. Barber provided this review by Mike Stone and said that I could post it if I wished:

This is a message that I posted on Spyderco's Martial Bladecraft website on Saturday.

Today the luckiest Martial Blade Craft student was me! On another day, it will be someone else, but today it was me!

Met Bram at NYC Custom show on Friday. I've been to one of his seminar's before so,of course, I was anxious to train with him again. I knew that he was going to train some ATF and SS agents the following day.
So how does a neophyte Guntaholic get himself invited to a closed training session?

(Note for family and friends, a Guntaholic is a person who uses the knife Bram Frank designed called a Gunting, most of you have seen pictures or my actual knives)

VOLUNTEER TO BE THE VICTIM!

"Hey Bram, do you need someone to demonstrate the techniques on?" I was actually expecting him to say "No, sorry but I can't take you." Instead what I got was, "Yea sure, that might be helpful to have a second set of eyes, who is familiar with the technique." After I get over the shock, we organized, and I met Bram this morning and went with him to Fort Hamilton.
It was a couple of the CQC ATF instructors, a couple of SS guys, a couple of NYPD. No official departmental training, just a bunch of LEO's interested in learning more about the tool.
So, Bram would demonstrate on me (OUCH!) and while the seminar attendee's were practicing I would help correct the simple mistakes (Those of you who have attended Bram's seminars will know that the technique IS SO SIMPLE, that I could answer most questions) and those that I didn't know the answer to, would get "Hey Bram? How do you.......?"

We covered a LOT of ground today, the first three horizontal/ vertical techniques.
The arm and finger locking techniques, Kin-op, and we even got up through Flow drill.
The first seminar I went to barely got to the Kin-op, and we never touched flow drill, and we had two days, not just one.
At one point Bram had me stand in front of the whole class. While he instructed everyone on the Flow drill angles, he had everyone imagine they where slashing at me! Twenty blades glint and descend, simultaneously, in my direction (yikes)!

Fun was had by all, lessons were learned, and I think that most people went away excited by the possibilities of the Gunting system.
Guntaholics rejoice! A couple of years from now you might get a nod of recognition from a passing LEO when he sees a Gunting on your hip. Keep your fingers crossed!

Thanks Mr. Stone and Dr. Barber!

OP
D

DoctorB

Originally posted by arnisador

Dr. Barber provided this review by Mike Stone and said that I could post it if I wished:

(Deleted review for sake of brevity - JB)

Thanks Mr. Stone and Dr. Barber!

You are welcome Arnisador. I just had an e-mail exchange with Mike and he is very likely going to attend the 2003 Modern Arnis Symposium and he will be one of Bram's assistants at the event.

Jerome Barber, Ed.D.