1st shoot involving horses

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Never shot em before. Client wanted a portrait of her on a horse. Near the end of the shoot the horse threw her then fell on her. She seems to be ok but was a def. oh crap moment.

Anyway, couple of shots, love some feedback.
:)

$web_2_1922.jpg$web_1977.jpg$web_2032.jpg$web_2040.jpg

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Like the bottom right (both looking to camera's left) best. They're all lacking something; it's just "girl & horse." That one at least shows an actual connection. Don't know... need to think on it. Something about the perspectives is messing with it. My wife is saying that the angle in the top right (kind of posed) makes the horse's head look to big and dominate the pic. Maybe the horse in profile, or her off the horse, holding the head?

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
oye....

The first is terribad... :)
the 2nd is ok, the background a bit busy.
The 3rd and 4th are good.

As a horse person I want to smack her though...what on earth is she doing with them flopping elbows and reins! :lol:

Horses are a bit difficult to shoot. You get the wrong angle, they look like they are all nose or ears or butt (Quarter horse people sometimes like the big butt shots).

Minus the dragging reins, 2-4 are pretty nice, the first you can scrap!

WC_lun

Senior Master
Reaction score
I like the last one. I'm not a photographer or a horse person, so I can't tell you why :)

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
oye....

The first is terribad... :)
the 2nd is ok, the background a bit busy.
The 3rd and 4th are good.

As a horse person I want to smack her though...what on earth is she doing with them flopping elbows and reins! :lol:

Horses are a bit difficult to shoot. You get the wrong angle, they look like they are all nose or ears or butt (Quarter horse people sometimes like the big butt shots).

Minus the dragging reins, 2-4 are pretty nice, the first you can scrap!

I was thinking no wonder she lost control of the horse, she didn't have any control! Dangerous situation I'm afraid for both of you. Last photo looks like the horse had seen a hedgemonster and was about to spook. I'm not a photographer so can't offer advice to you but the 'rider' should learn to ride lol, harsh I know but so many get hurt and killed on horses every year.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Not one of the 'horsey set' (see previous comments about dirt poor working class background :D), so I can't comment on the technical aspects of horse and rider. The third shot (bottom left) is my favourite as it gets me thinking "What're they looking at?" and it's a nice, tightly framed and balanced, composition.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Not one of the 'horsey set' (see previous comments about dirt poor working class background :D), so I can't comment on the technical aspects of horse and rider. The third shot (bottom left) is my favourite as it gets me thinking "What're they looking at?" and it's a nice, tightly framed and balanced, composition.

I'm with you. I like them all, for different reasons. I know bupkis about horses, except I don't like them and the feeling is apparently mutual.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
:chuckles: A motorbike with a mind of it's own has never seemed like a sensible thing to get on top of to me :lol:.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
:chuckles: A motorbike with a mind of it's own has never seemed like a sensible thing to get on top of to me :lol:.

True enough but it's not as companionable as a horse nor can it breed! The best thing about horses and this is one reason the army still has them is that horse treat you as you treat them regardless or whether you a general or a private, learning to ride is a test of character, you can see a persons true nature coming out when they are on a horse. Bill may not like them but he wouldn't bully or mistreat one. Horses will dump you on the ground whether you a prince or a pauper, tbh I like them better than many people.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

hehehehe, sometime that mind can keep you out of the trouble a mere machine can get you into...;)

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The rider was inexperienced, and towards the end the horse was a little skittish. We had a handler on hand the whole time to try and calm her.

Having never shot horses before, what should I have been looking for/focusing on?

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

rickster

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Horses could be more unpredicable than dogs, cats.

However, that said, rider and owner should have had more time together before any shoot

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
The rider was inexperienced, and towards the end the horse was a little skittish. We had a handler on hand the whole time to try and calm her.

Having never shot horses before, what should I have been looking for/focusing on?

For starters, NEVER believe a person telling you they are an experienced rider. EVER. And I am only half kidding you there. The majority thinks they are much better than they really are.

However....

Well, trying to annalyse the shots for you....

#1, well...her eyes are closed, horses eyes are closed, she looks like she is about to flap her wings and fly away....the horse looks like a punk, crossed with a mule. ;) There is a horse in the picture and her endowment shines....about the best that can be said. :D

#2 is actually a lovely picture. The horse has his ears pricked, a nice moment there before he devours the poor flower. (personally I can't shake the feeling that the young lady was not all that comfortable on the horse, either because you were shooting or else, but that can cause horses to get fidgedy) I am not liking the background much, but that's how farm life is. When the pose is right you got the manure pile in the back (although I have seen a few pictures where the manure pile was meticulously edited out of the frame.

#3 again, nothing really you can do about the background. It's a loud colored horse on a busy background. That's life.
It's a nice shot: the ears are pricked again, the angle of the neck is pleasing. What could be better is if the rider actually had the reins or turned them completely lose. If she were, like in the 2nd shot to look at what the horse is looking at. But over all a pleasing angle/composition.

#4 well...the horse looks like he is about to do something stupid. Must be a horse eating squirrel near by. the neck looks good, but the body is kind of urgh: you can see the 4 legs kinda sort of. It's not terrible, but not really good, a bit hard to explain.

When you shoot horses you don't want a single part of the anatomy to stick out. My sister had a fan who would take pictures of her at shows. The rather long ears of her mare would always feature prominently in the pictures, she almost looked like a mule! Depending on the discipline people like to have the phase of movement just so (and this is really the hard part): Dressage riders prefer a trot picture with the legs on your side being 'open' meaning the front reaches, the back just pushed off. The hole horse looks open, you can see the legs on the far side as the back reaches and the front just pushed off. all for should be in the air 'suspension we call it'
Over jumps you want to catch the horse as it reaches the middle of the jump with it's legs, the 'knees' and lower legs nicely tucked under, ears pricked. Or as the horse is over the middle of the jump, especially an oxer, in mid flight. (an oxer is a jump type, high as well as wide, you will usually see what looks like two jumps pushed together, normally a lot of colorful poles on the front one, one or two on the back one, sometimes some funny stuff in the middle) the horse really has to reach over those.
When the horse is 'worked' they often turn their ears toward the rider. That does not automatically mean they are mad as long as they are not pinned back. That is also a desirable picture.

'hunter' people seem to like pictures in the 'canter' (like a gallop just slower) when all four are in the air and kind of under the body.

Racers? Well, as the nose crosses the finish line first :D. but if that can't be had, either as the above hunter one, or all stretched out.

http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/

In the sidebar are some more pictures, and you can ask the ladies for their opinion (but be warned: your client might be a member! Or somebody there knows her!)

overall, for a first time, not bad.
One more thing, I know the color pallet of yours is a bit on the cooler side, but it seems like horses do best if you warm up the shades a bit. I am guessing the sun was beating down on you and as I recall even NYS is in a bit of a drought, but the grass looked a bit washed out.

anything else? Well, I am not telling you anything about the equipment, except that when I did horses (sadly pre digital, so I don't have any handy to show, plus most are at my dad's house) I liked the 200mm lens. It does not give you too much reach (it barely got the there side of the arena when my sister showed, 20 meters....) but it has a good range to where you can stay out from under the horse. A plastic baggy of some kind is always good to get the ears to come forward, too. Candy wrappers can work wonders.

http://photo.net/photos/WojtekKwiatkowski
Another link to stunning pictures.

SnyderD

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
#3 again, nothing really you can do about the background. It's a loud colored horse on a busy background. That's life.
It's a nice shot: the ears are pricked again, the angle of the neck is pleasing. What could be better is if the rider actually had the reins or turned them completely lose. If she were, like in the 2nd shot to look at what the horse is looking at. But over all a pleasing angle/composition.

Agreed. I think #3 is the best.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
45176_1476963658059_1612686_n.jpg

15007_427416401257_7455003_n.jpg

285_20364194950_6568_n.jpg

Not pro shots, just ordinary camera. It's my daughter at Mark Johnston's yard, he often brings horses across to America to race. First one is her eventing. The second two horses are worth well over a million pounds between them and belong to the Saudi Royal family.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
That's a confident relaxed rider for you! :)

(#2 knows he's royalty: Bugger off Paparazzo! :p)

Latest Discussions