1st Dan Power Break

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Power break at my Chodan test, Nov 5th, 2011. Five 16x8x2" concrete pavers.
Comments appreciated.

[yt]gwo1re-p7WA[/yt]

OP
Dirty Dog

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The silence is deafening...
lol

Indie12

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Good Job!! During my Dan Test, we had to break 4 boards individually, 2 boards put back to back for a total of 8, and 5 bricks...

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Great! We practice 'soft breaks' with the same pavers, no spacers, and a phone book on top. I can only do two. Congrats!

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Now take the spacers out. :uhyeah:

j/k. Nice job! I did speed breaks for my first few tests. My only power breaks until 3 Dan were for demos. How did you prep for it?

OP
Dirty Dog

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Good Job!! During my Dan Test, we had to break 4 boards individually, 2 boards put back to back for a total of 8, and 5 bricks...

I also did a 4-station break - 2 with a knee, 2 with a rear elbow, 2 with a standing sidekick and 1 with my head. The rear elbow and forehead breaks both took two strikes due to flinching holders. :(

Great! We practice 'soft breaks' with the same pavers, no spacers, and a phone book on top. I can only do two. Congrats!

I've read what you've posted about these soft breaks. I've played with them some, on single pavers, but I'm not sure I understand the technique, and it's not something our school does. But it's something I'd like to learn more about. Why a phone book as opposed to, say, a rag like I used for this break?

Now take the spacers out. :uhyeah:

j/k. Nice job! I did speed breaks for my first few tests. My only power breaks until 3 Dan were for demos. How did you prep for it?

By smacking progressively larger piles of pavers at home. :D

I had initially planned to do 7, but I broke my left hand a week before the test and I found that the weight of the cast threw me off a bit, so I elected to only do 5.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Nice break, bro.

rambo balboa

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
woow that was an epic break sir
i watched all video's in your channel so amazing :) :)